Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Education is now a product, not a service. Watch

ReputationRep:
    What they have done is change higher education from a service to a product. In the old days the government paid a set amount to the universities, the universities then educated as many students as it could afford to do so (which had to be regulated by high grade requirements). The student paid nothing because the government footed the bill, in the knowledge that the student would then go on to get a better job and therefore pay more income tax than the average man in order to fund the next generation of students.

Then in the 90s they realised that instead of offering a service which cost the government money, it would be possible to actually sell a product which would make the government money! They decided to remove government funding of universities and make the students foot the bill instead. Obviously students wouldn't be able to afford to do that so they decided to give the students loans with high interest that they would spend the rest of their working lives paying off.

They encouraged more and more students to go to university, promising increased job prospects, emphasising that there was 'nothing to pay upfront!', essentially encouraging students to buy a product on credit. And it worked, with twice the amount of students in higher education combined with the recession, they had the perfect excuse to virtually cut all higher education investment, offering absolutely nothing to the graduate.... except interest payments lasting 30 years on top of the higher income tax which comes with earning more.

ReputationRep:
    You're right, but what you gonna do?

ReputationRep:
    What is the point in this thread? I am sure everyone is aware that fees will be increased and there doesn't seem to be anything else you are adding.

Plus, the government has never made a profit from universities.
    Plus, it is still a service.

ReputationRep:
    Is plumbing a product?

What do I win?

ReputationRep:
    From my point of view, education as what is offered by universities would be a service orientated product. Literally, it cannot be classified as a product itself, since one doesnt go home with something in hand, but if u actually think of it in a deeper level, it can be a product in the sense that one does go home with something called knowledge.

On the second level, the governments involvement in education financially WAS important back then. maybe it isnt now because education has evolved from a luxury, or a bonus to a need. infact, i can even consider education as a vital necessity for survival. even if the universities were to increase their fees drastically or anything similar, people would have no choice but to pay the price for it, unless they dont want to go to uni at all...

having that said, i think practically, education is no product or service to pay for. lets just consider it as an investment.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.