Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Charter Reform - Creating a Resolution Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results:
    0%

ReputationRep:
    I've been thinking about this for a while and what I'm proposing changes the way in which resolutions are submitted.
    To ensure that resolutions are correctly formatted, directed towards the right committee and subsequent voting polls are correct, new resolutions would be submitted via the Secretary General (or in their absence, the Deputy SG), who would then handle all the admin for the resolution.
    Currently resolutions can be posted directly in the General Assembly, regardless of whether they're actually correctly written. There have also been a number of cases in which polls have been wrong, and this change would resolve the matter by putting admin in the hands of the SG.
    (Basically, I'm proposing a similar system to that which is used in the TSR House of Commons, where things have to be sent to the Speaker)

Changing the Charter from:

CHAPTER III - CREATING A RESOLUTION
    Article 14
    A thread with the resolution in the OP must be posted in the GA forum.
    Article 15
    The Secretary General does not need to be informed.
    Article 16
    The resolution must be directed towards the relevant UN Council i.e. Security, Cultural and Social, Human Rights...
    Article 17
    Resolutions that do not have implications for International Peace and Security will be voted on solely by the General Assembly of the Model United Nations.
    Article 18
    A vote may commence immediately or left for up to 7 days to allow for a period of discussion.
    Voting must last either 2 or 3 days.
    Voting must be “Public”.
    Article 19
    In accordance with Chapter VI of the United Nations Charter members will abstain for votes on resolutions concerning their own actions.

to:

CHAPTER III - CREATING A RESOLUTION
    Article 14
    New resolutions will be sent to the Secretary General, who will ensure the resolution is correctly written and formatted.
    Article 15
    Only the Secretary General may post new resolutions in the General Assembly.
    Article 16
    The resolution must be directed towards the relevant UN Council i.e. Security; Cultural and Social; Human Rights. The Secretary General will ensure this occurs upon submission.
    Article 17
    Resolutions that do not have implications for International Peace and Security will be voted on solely by the General Assembly of the Model United Nations.
    Article 18
    A vote may commence immediately or left for up to 7 days to allow for a period of discussion. The member submitting the resolution should specify the length of this period to the Secretary General.
    Voting must last either 2 or 3 days.
    Voting must be “Public”.
    Article 19
    In accordance with Chapter VI of the United Nations Charter members will abstain for votes on resolutions concerning their own actions.

ReputationRep:
    Indonesia agrees to this reform and support is 100% this is also good way for newcomers to learn how to write a resolution and good way for general assembly to get rid of improperly written resolution.

ReputationRep:
    Palestine and Moldova believe that such reforms will be ignored all to often and may unfortunately mean newer members may shy away from such an important part of the MUN.

ReputationRep:
    What happens if the SC is out?

ReputationRep:
    I think this is a good reform.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    What happens if the SC is out?
    If the SG is away, the DSG takes over their duties. That would include handling this.

ReputationRep:
    The delegate from Venezuela thinks this is a good proposal allowing for more checks and balances

ReputationRep:
    I think I support the general idea, and I can see the problem, but I'm a little concerned that some new members may find the idea a bit off-putting.

ReputationRep:
    I see your point, but as a new member I would be nervous of posting directly to the General Assembly at this stage. If I made a mistake at least this way the SG rather than everyone would see.

ReputationRep:
    People will accidentally post them anyway, i don't think it's a great idea. I would probably be off-put.
    Im a strong believer in if you want something done properly, do it yourself. (no offence )

ReputationRep:
    This is actually a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    The USA agree's with this reform.

ReputationRep:
    France would like to echo that this is indeed a good reform.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Myanmar and North Korea support these reforms and believe that it will strengthen the MUN.

ReputationRep:
    Moldova asks why people do not see that surely many fewer resolutions will be posted?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sim188)
    Moldova asks why people do not see that surely many fewer resolutions will be posted?

I do fear this a bit. I think that a poor resolution is better than no resolution.

Aren't reform threads OOC?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandys1000)
    I do fear this a bit. I think that a poor resolution is better than no resolution.
    Tbh I disagree :o: Sorry to quote Charles Manson, but if a thing is worth doing, it's worth doing well. This change will eradicate the sorts of problems that I've dealt with just today with polls being put up wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon only about half of the resolutions of this term will be posted if this passes. I think it's only coming about because of one small mishap and there is no real need to add more red tape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    Tbh I disagree :o: Sorry to quote Charles Manson, but if a thing is worth doing, it's worth doing well. This change will eradicate the sorts of problems that I've dealt with just today with polls being put up wrong.
    Can I ask..what happens if the Resolution is extremely bad?...well not bad, but just written extremely poorly...?

ReputationRep:
    Does this apply from now on then?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.