Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just sat my AST and to my delight scored high 80's across the sections. I've been told I can continue and I'm really excited. The only thing is worrying me is the age and demand of the job.

I wanted to ask any young members in the forces whether they got looked down at in the forces or if they still do. (although I should hope not).

I'm 18 and will be 19 soon but the other man who applied for the position was easily in his 30's. Is this job for older people, and if so why is it open to 17 year olds?

Any feedback would be great should it be advise or someone telling me to stop worrying and man up.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    The system won't select you for the job if they aren't comfortable that providing you work at your training you will be able to do the job. Don't worry.

You are more likely to do well at the technical and applied aspects of being an air traffic controller at your age rather than at 30. That's essentialy why there are age limits for pilot entry etc - you just respond better to the sort of technical aptitude type training when you are younger as you're more adaptable and your reflexes etc are sharper.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    It's not necessarily a job for old people, but it is a job for mature people. As an SNCO you will be working with people of equal rank who are in their late 20s, early 30s or older. You will have to be a credible operator to work with them. You will also be more senior and in charge of people in their 20s and inevitably older than you, and to begin with, who have more RAF service than you. Again, you will have to present as a credible leader to these people, which takes not age, but maturity. So what they are looking for when selecting both SNCO ATC and WSOps, which they are not looking for in regular Airman candidates, is a relative and immediate maturity.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.