Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Putting together a weights routine for a runner... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Since I want to be proficient at 800m/1500m in the coming track season, I want to get started on some weights. I was thinking of buying freeweights (dumbbells) but I want to make sure I keep all my muscles in balance. Firstly, what weight should I buy to start with (I'm ~54kg and 5'8")? And secondly, what exercises should I do and how should I progress over the season (start with strength and then endurance, or mix it up)?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Buy 2 40kg's and do farmers walks for 3 x 800m/1500m.

=/

ReputationRep:
    That's a tried and tested method right?

ReputationRep:
    Jokes.. Since you want to be proficient at 800m/1500m - The best advice I can give you is that you practice running the 800m/1500m. In particular, getting to know your body, amend any bio-mechanical issues and master your running technique.

We can't really just give you a magic programe, lifting weights and in 3 months time your going to be a proficient runner at X distance.

It's all about periodisation over a course to maximise your performance. Working on different things over the course and constantly improving yourself to aim for that specific goal.

You could bet that sombodys gonna come along and say squats and more squats, maybe even heavy squats. But thats just going to be make you a good squatter and squating heavy with slow lifting velocities is only going to increase your ability to handle high resistances at slow speeds and it ain't really gonna make you proficient. Squatting is carried out in a standing or crouched body posture and on a side note, nobody runs or walks on two legs either. You see it all the time, runners and others obbessed with the leg extension machine. Thats just gonna increase quadriceps-muscle strength when you are in a seated position, not your 5k time.

Specificity applies to the transference of improvements. Thus, to be honest with your buying dumbbells and doing endless bicep curls in your spare time to satisfy your mind ain't gonna do bugger all for you. You would be far better off buying yourself a quality running performance or nutrition book or even an actually coach.

You should first aim to build strengh in motions that closely mimic the overall body posture and mechanics of running as possible such as one-leg squats, high-bench step-ups and one-leg hops etc. Then focusing on force production and power with stuff like high-speed bounding, running with a weight vest and hill sprints up and down. Plyometrics is your new favorite word here.

I hope this information helps you but as already said, there isn't a magic pill, either go do some background research and reading yourself or higher a coach or somebody else with experience.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was thinking of plyometrics, my only concern being sure I have the correct technique. As for weights, I think I have to do them all explosively with at least one olympic lift. A lot of the stuff on the net varies though. ^^

Any reliable Web sites for plyometrics and/or weights? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addylad)
    Yeah I was thinking of plyometrics, my only concern being sure I have the correct technique. As for weights, I think I have to do them all explosively with at least one olympic lift. A lot of the stuff on the net varies though.
    The stuff on the net varies with opinion but whatever it is you choose to do be able to justify to yourself and somebody else why your doing it. Be honest to yourself and always ask why, why are you doing this, whats the purpose and again why. If your able to provide valid justifiaciton then all is well.

(Original post by addylad)
    Any reliable Web sites for plyometrics and/or weights? Thanks.
    http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/strength-endurance.html
    http://www.momentumsports.co.uk/TtDrillsMobStr.asp
    http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/plyo...performance-35

ReputationRep:
    Cheers. My only concern has been how to do plyometrics in the right way. Number of sets and reps, etc. And making sure that I'm addressing all the necessary muscles in the right amounts. I'll have a look the links. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Olympic lifts are probably a must...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 20, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.