The Student Room Group

people who argue with you for the sake of trying to look academic?

Scroll to see replies

Some people are arrogant, or feel good for schooling people intellectually.

Intelligence is an asset (who says it's not lol) but people who are arrogant with it fail.
Reply 21
Original post by rajandkwameali
Some people are arrogant, or feel good for schooling people intellectually.

Intelligence is an asset (who says it's not lol) but people who are arrogant with it fail.

no im not talking about people who are actually bright, i have respect for them. but im talking abotu people who deliberately make every discussion about anythig into a competitive debate to try to win an argument, just for the sake of arguing. they arent bright, just insecure
Reply 22
I cannot stand people that do this!
Reply 23
guys how do you make a thread pleaseeeee......
There are people in society called elitists. They believe they're better than society, they crave the feeling of triumphing over people and will do anything to cause an argument they can win with knowledge they have already prepared - it doesn't make them intelligent. Challenge them on something they know nothing about and they'll crumble.

There isn't really a particular thing that makes people like that, it's just their personality.
Reply 25
Yeh but i always win.
Reply 26
You're wrong. My journey through the educational system has been dominated by paradigms being impressed upon me as my own, although it seemed to me counter-intuitive, disagreement was discouraged; therefore I find it refreshing to find members valiantly fighting their own academic principles against my own, however disingenuous their position may be.
No, I don't know anyone like that.

I do know people who ask very obvious questions and think that they are original and astute. That is annoying. Things like "but...god allows wars and suffering to happen! i've just found out Christianity's fatal flaw!" etc etc.
Reply 28
Original post by chinaberry
No, I don't know anyone like that.

I do know people who ask very obvious questions and think that they are original and astute. That is annoying. Things like "but...god allows wars and suffering to happen! i've just found out Christianity's fatal flaw!" etc etc.

These are the worst. Absolutely cannot stand them.
How else can they show their superiority?
If you hit them really hard in the face they usually stop talking.

Simple but effective.
Original post by shinytoy
guys,

do you know any people where if you make a statement, they will argue and argue until they are blue in the face not becauuse they have a valid point they are trying to make, but just purely to try to look academic by creating then winning an argument?

its totally annoying and pointless

its the same type of people who will listen to the teacher in class, then try their hardest to ask the most complex question possible not because they have a question to ask but because they want to show off to everyone how bright they are.

does anyoen else find this totally irritating?

Ah, TSR syndrome...
Reply 32
this is an excellent example of EXACTLY what im talking about (i hope this is sarcasm lol!):

Original post by Shmeiks
You're wrong. My journey through the educational system has been dominated by paradigms being impressed upon me as my own, although it seemed to me counter-intuitive, disagreement was discouraged; therefore I find it refreshing to find members valiantly fighting their own academic principles against my own, however disingenuous their position may be.

Something_Ironic
How else can they show their superiority?

lol, how can i avoid getting drawn into their pathetic arguments?

fist of the south star

If you hit them really hard in the face they usually stop talking.
:rofl: ROFL! i think i love you!

Simple but effective.
Reply 33
guys,

do you know any people where if you make a statement, they will argue and argue until they are blue in the face not becauuse they have a valid point they are trying to make, but just purely to try to look academic by creating then winning an argument?

its totally annoying and pointless

its the same type of people who will listen to the teacher in class, then try their hardest to ask the most complex question possible not because they have a question to ask but because they want to show off to everyone how bright they are.

does anyoen else find this totally irritating?

AHHHH i hate these kind of people. I know I prolly do this sometimes but i know a lot of people who just do it ALL the time, even light subjects like movies, music, etc. stuff that doesn't really matter that much!!
hahaha i know a couple of people like this, and it is IMPOSSIBLE to have an intelligent discussion with them because they always try to turn it into a ridiculous debating competition to assert their intellignece. even if it is pointless and trivial like

'i was gonna buy a £3 energy saving buld for our flat but the store was sold out.if we use energy saving lightbulbs in our flat, we will save energy' they will come out with

'actually no, we wont because XYZ blah blah blah tungsten is better for the environment, so no we wont save more energy'

and you say 'yes, but energy saving lightbulbs use less power and therefore save energy hence why they are 'energy saving'

they respond 'well, yes, but in Africa they have the lowest energy consumption in the world and they dont have access to energy saving light bulbs. and in caveman times, they didnt even need electric bills. and you know, power is relative. think of the fossil fuesls being burned. what about the impact of these bulbs on the ecomony, burning fuels creates jobs, and jobs keep people employed which cntributes to the furtherance of society...blah blah blah'

and all the time you were thinking omg its only a £3 light bulb!!!! :angry:

you can get energy saving bulbs for 25p btw.
yaah
Reply 36
this is an excellent example of EXACTLY what im talking about (i hope this is sarcasm lol!):

lol, how can i avoid getting drawn into their pathetic arguments?

:rofl: ROFL! i think i love you!

Simple but effective.

It's not sarcasm; I just happened to post an incredibly obnoxious post on a thread hating on people trying to appear intelligent.

Of course it was sarcasm.
Have you noticed; people who do this slowly get louder, angrier and interject every time you try to say a sentence.

Then it is clear to everyone around, that you by staying calm, have won, but they storm off as if they have....
Reply 38
ROFL it's well jokes and funny. Well everytime I do it I just do it for a joke or just to be annoying :tongue:

And generally people enjoy it (Unless they've no sense of humour ie the OP)
Reply 39
My reply, 'oh, ok.' And then I go and do what I want anyway (e.g. buy the energy saving lightbulbs). Pisses them off. :yes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending