Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a first year doing economics and economic history.
    I have to take ma100 and st102 as paet of my course but I am really struggling
    Which is it easiest to get a good mark in because lse don't count your lowest module so I might concentrate on one so I dont have to retake first year.
    Generally which is the one people find easiest and most people do well in?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It's not a wise strategy. Given that neither are difficult, I would guess the reason you are struggling is because you're not trying. And even if you think you're trying, you're not trying hard enough. It's mid-December, the exams are in May; there is an obscene amount of time for you to stop struggling and to do well. Giving up on one doesn't make you smart, it makes you a coward. Just do the ****in' work.

ReputationRep:
    ITS SO HARD
    but i just haven't put enough effort it, hopefully the whole of next week i'll be able to catch up!

(Original post by Overmars)
    It's not a wise strategy. Given that neither are difficult, I would guess the reason you are struggling is because you're not trying. And even if you think you're trying, you're not trying hard enough. It's mid-December, the exams are in May; there is an obscene amount of time for you to stop struggling and to do well. Giving up on one doesn't make you smart, it makes you a coward. Just do the ****in' work.
    overmars, i still need to find you to thank you for the PS help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    He's right, a few weeks back I was getting absolutely molested by MA100 and failing horribly, but then I put a few days aside to watch all the lectures on moodle and catch up, and it's not that bad, you just have to be disciplined enough to catch up on what you've missed/don't understand

ReputationRep:
    That's such silly logic.

Let's say you choose to fail MA100 (which is definitely harder, btw). Then next year you have to retake MA100 again, except this time you may not get teaching + your friends won't be doing it so you'll be less into it + 2nd year modules are much harder and take far more effort per module + 2nd year counts a hell of a lot more so you don't want the added pressure (+ you'll be applying for work experience alongside all the academic work most likely).

At least aim for 40% ffs.

MA100 isn't difficult to pass either - questions are extremely repetitive year on year. Just memorise the solutions, don't bother "understanding" the maths. Or if you're not a whiny little girl who needs to be spoonfed, who's never had to work properly at her expensive school/sixth form, then go to office hours with good questions every week. Hell, go to 2 different teacher's office hours. There's absolutely no excuse to be giving up on MA100/ST102 in DECEMBER.

Your attitude to questions currently is probably like "zOmg, it's asking me to find a basis for this vector space in different coordinates, but I don't even know what a vector space is! Ahhh I'm going to fail, let's give up lol". Rather than looking up what a vector space is, which was taught only like 3 weeks ago so it's not like a really familiar concept that you should be ashamed for not understanding, and then what a basis is, you're giving up. There are lots of resources - lecture slides, lecture notes, lecture recordings, books, Internet, teachers, friends, etc. But no, you're giving up. FFS.

ReputationRep:
    Bit early in the academic year to be worrying about this? Swayum has pretty much said what needs to be said.

ReputationRep:
    you are at the wrong uni doing the wrong course if you can't pass ma100.

you need 40% to pass, just put the work in.

ReputationRep:
    man up. don't forget you have the whole of summer term and the easter holiday just to revise the material and prep for the exam should yo need it

most people find it easier to get a high mark in st102 btw
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    They say you have to understand it and they also say that the exam is like nothing you've ever had before, but I bet it's exactly the same. Slightly different questions, mostly the same stuff. Put work in and it's all fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.