Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Which to choose for business - durham, sussex, leicester?

Got ABB offers from each, or are they all crap ?

meh go go go probably shud of researched unis before i applied..
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    durham is on a really quite campus called stockton right away from the main uni and is apparantly awful....I would never go there personally.

Leicester and sussex, both are good but I think Leicester has the edge in my opinion, so them.

ReputationRep:
    Durham. Prestige is a nice word.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ussumane)
    Durham. Prestige is a nice word.
    not when you end up graduating with a 3rd cos you had a rubbish unsocial unenjoyable uni life stuck on stockton campus in the middle of nowhere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by +epic)
    not when you end up graduating with a 3rd cos you had a rubbish unsocial unenjoyable uni life stuck on stockton campus in the middle of nowhere
    You could say the same for Oxbridge.

Is stockton campus that bad?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ussumane)
    You could say the same for Oxbridge.

Is stockton campus that bad?
    no oxbridge are situated in two beatiful cities with a lot of students in....stockton is a town which is pretty chavy, and the campus is tiny with only business and medicine and maybe one other course there, and its nowehere near the actualy Durham uni lol.

I personally would never go to stockton for 3 years (which are supposed to be some of the best years of your life) just to be able to say I have a degree from Durham uni...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by +epic)
    no oxbridge are situated in two beatiful cities with a lot of students in....stockton is a town which is pretty chavy, and the campus is tiny with only business and medicine and maybe one other course there, and its nowehere near the actualy Durham uni lol.

I personally would never go to stockton for 3 years (which are supposed to be some of the best years of your life) just to be able to say I have a degree from Durham uni...
    hmm ok, I can't really say anything back, since I've never been to the place and don't know anything about, but if it's a chavy place I guess it should be avoided.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by +epic)
    Yes, because Durham (even its Queens Campus courses - of which there are more than just business and medicine) awards so many thirds. The majority of students still receive good degrees so I don't think this is a danger.

There are many people who go there and are happy there.

You say Stockton is "in the middle of nowhere" but it is a town and forms the conurbation of Teesside. Durham, although a city, is much smaller. Durham has some great pubs, with an impressive live music scene (for a city of its size) but Stockton and Middlesbrough offer more things that will suit a wider variety of tastes including better clubs. Though that isn't saying much as Durham's clubs are rubbish.

Middlesbrough and the wider Teesside region has its detractors. Yes it has had crime problems in the past (still higher than average but it's been significantly reduced) but it offers more than Durham does socially. If we're just referring to the respective town/city.

Queens Campus still offers plenty of social opportunities including the usual Durham sporting opportunities and it still has the collegiate system. Then there's recreational activities offered on the Tees barrage and beautiful Teesdale.

Personally speaking I wouldn't chose to study there. It is somewhere you need to visit first to get a feel for the area and talk to current students. Some love it and others hate it.

I think the OP will be foolish to chose somewhere just on "prestige". Despite its position in the top five/top ten of league tables you will not get a job just because you're have a Durham degree (or a Warwick/UCL/Bristol e..t.c. degree). It's not like Leicester and Sussex are poor universities.

Leicester, from what I've seen, has a lovely campus. As for Sussex I can't speak of its business department. All I know about Sussex is its reputation for militant student activism and it's not not too far from Brighton (closer to Falmer though).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by +epic)
    durham is on a really quite campus called stockton right away from the main uni and is apparantly awful....I would never go there personally.

Leicester and sussex, both are good but I think Leicester has the edge in my opinion, so them.
    You mean Could never go there.

(Original post by +epic)

Lol. Buisness (management and finance ect), Biomed sci, medicine, psychology, biological and medical anthropology are held at the queens campus. If you go to Durham uni and get a 3rd, it would certainly top a 3rd from either sussex or leicester as a Durham degree packs a punch. Altho Durham dosnt give out many 3rds, we leave it to northumbria and co. to do that.

The social scene at queens is fine and the clubs in the local area are better than that of the main Durham campus. I personally love the colligiate structure of the uni, living in college is great. If you really wanted to you could also live in Durham and get the free bus down to your lectures in second year, my friends on buisness have alrdy got a house in Durham for next year and they will just commute down as their buisness 2nd year timetable apparently isn't very intense.

Stockton and middlesborough is a bit chavy outside the centres, but so is Durham city and every other city in England. If you don't want to go to a rough or chavy area, don't go to leicester, whatever you do.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beansonfish)
    You mean Could never go there.
    no, i mean I actually wouldnt.

(Original post by beansonfish)
    Lol. Buisness (management and finance ect), Biomed sci, medicine, psychology, biological and medical anthropology are held at the queens campus. If you go to Durham uni and get a 3rd, it would certainly top a 3rd from either sussex or leicester as a Durham degree packs a punch. Altho Durham dosnt give out many 3rds, we leave it to northumbria and co. to do that.

The social scene at queens is fine and the clubs in the local area are better than that of the main Durham campus. I personally love the colligiate structure of the uni, living in college is great. If you really wanted to you could also live in Durham and get the free bus down to your lectures in second year, my friends on buisness have alrdy got a house in Durham for next year and they will just commute down as their buisness 2nd year timetable apparently isn't very intense.

Stockton and middlesborough is a bit chavy outside the centres, but so is Durham city and every other city in England. If you don't want to go to a rough or chavy area, don't go to leicester, whatever you do.
    The point I was trying to make was that for me personally, the whole experience of uni is about going to an amazing place filled with students and experiencing something to remember for the rest of your life.
    For me, stockton campus would make me miserable, and I would therefore do a lot worse there than the likes of Leicester or Northumbria.

At the end of the day, I would rather get a 2:1 from Northumbria than a 3rd from Durham. Durhams business degrees arent even that established yet. So my opinion is that I would chose the other two over Stockton campus any day of the week.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say;
    Leicester > Sussex > Durham for Business.
    Tbh, Leicester & Sussex are pretty much the same, but out of the 3, Durham would be my 3rd choice.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys for your epic and worthy replies.

Unfortunately your range in opinions is slowly corroding my mind....

urgh

Basically leicester or durham......

Going towards Durham at the moment.. yet some people shoot it down horifically O.o

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.