Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lifting weights as a way to gain weight Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm a hardgainer; have a fast metabolic rate and find it hard to stick to the six small meals a day rule, my appetite just doesn't seem to allow me to eat so much, despite it being something that should be introduced gradually.

I'm around 60 kg/132 pounds, and should be consuming a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight for muscle growth, I'm sure everyone is familiar with this, but I don't get anywhere near that per day.

I'd just like to hear of maybe some success stories of anybody that wanted to gain weight and did so by lifting/supplements, or if there are any other hardgainers that have noticed an increase in their bodyweight after lifting/using supplements for however long.

Comments greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roo Bix)
    I'm a hardgainer; have a fast metabolic rate and find it hard to stick to the six small meals a day rule, my appetite just doesn't seem to allow me to eat so much, despite it being something that should be introduced gradually.

I'm around 60 kg/132 pounds, and should be consuming a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight for muscle growth, I'm sure everyone is familiar with this, but I don't get anywhere near that per day.

I'd just like to hear of maybe some success stories of anybody that wanted to gain weight and did so by lifting/supplements, or if there are any other hardgainers that have noticed an increase in their bodyweight after lifting/using supplements for however long.

Comments greatly appreciated.
    You do not have a fast metabolic rate and are not a 'hardgainer', look at what you are saying pal - you don't eat enough, it really is that simple.

ReputationRep:
    follow mark riptoes bulk plan

ReputationRep:
    gallon of milk a day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    gallon of milk a day
    This would do the trick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattGriff)
    You do not have a fast metabolic rate and are not a 'hardgainer', look at what you are saying pal - you don't eat enough, it really is that simple.
    I am a hardgainer, I can tell you that much lol. But you are right, I don't eat enough.

Eating six meals a day isn't financially viable for me either. I have tried just having a lean diet where I pack in lots of high-calorific/protein/carb/fat foods, with just potatoes, meat, pasta, fresh vegetables etc, but even that is expensive and what I end up doing is stretching out the food over a longer period of time instead of consuming that food in one week, because of how my appetite works.

ReputationRep:
    I am a hardgainer, I can tell you that much lol. But you are right, I don't eat enough.

Eating six meals a day isn't financially viable for me either. I have tried just having a lean diet where I pack in lots of high-calorific/protein/carb/fat foods, with just potatoes, meat, pasta, fresh vegetables etc, but even that is expensive and what I end up doing is stretching out the food over a longer period of time instead of consuming that food in one week, because of how my appetite works.
    LOL read this sentence to yourself again.

Do yourself a favor and tell me why its retarded

ReputationRep:

You can tell me all you want, I won't believe you - everything is how you cant eat this or that - thats not hardgaining, that your body does not have the nutrition to build extra mass so stop making excuses.

Not financially viable? A 1kg bag of oats is about 60p, buy it, blend it up and drink the stuff 3 times a day and have three normal meals!

Stop making excuses, eat more food and man up!

Bloody supplements will cost you more than food!

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I appreciate all the comments guys. I want to get on with bulking up, I'm a positive person who likes to do things. Have to eat my cake here so to speak, philosophically and literally :awesome:

Not financially viable? A 1kg bag of oats is about 60p, buy it, blend it up and drink the stuff 3 times a day and have three normal meals!
    This is interesting, because I always here about oats. Is this something you've done Matt?

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I appreciate all the comments guys. I want to get on with bulking up, I'm a positive person who likes to do things. Have to eat my cake here so to speak, philosophically and literally :awesome:

This is interesting, because I always here about oats. Is this something you've done Matt?
    Done and do, awesome source of carbs and fibre, add a drop of milk and peanut butter of you want mega kcals.
    Cheap and cheerful - it does not cost a lot to eat shed loads if you are sensible.

ReputationRep:
    Done and do, awesome source of carbs and fibre, add a drop of milk and peanut butter of you want mega kcals.
    Cheap and cheerful - it does not cost a lot to eat shed loads if you are sensible.
    Thanks Matt! I've come across adding peanut butter as an ingredient for a shake before, what's the taste like? You can't help but imagine it to taste bad.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Matt! I've come across adding peanut butter as an ingredient for a shake before, what's the taste like? You can't help but imagine it to taste bad.
    Er, peanut buttery? I like the taste but i often sit and eat a jar of nutty butty anyway lol

ReputationRep:
    Er, peanut buttery? I like the taste but i often sit and eat a jar of nutty butty anyway lol
    lol! I'll give it a go actually. Just now, I also opted to get cooking some pasta, instead of eating some junk. First steps!

ReputationRep:
    Another cheap way of getting in loads more calories/protein has already been said in here. Drink a load of milk.

The plan is GOMAD(Gallon Of Milk A Day) but if you can't manage that try and get 2 or 3 pints of full fat milk in. And it's delicious as well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    Another cheap way of getting in loads more calories/protein has already been said in here. Drink a load of milk.

The plan is GOMAD(Gallon Of Milk A Day) but if you can't manage that try and get 2 or 3 pints of full fat milk in. And it's delicious as well...
    Do you know how many calories I could get from a gallon of milk?

ReputationRep:
    Do you know how many calories I could get from a gallon of milk?
    2400 if using whole milk says the internet...

http://stronglifts.com/gomad-milk-sq...n-gain-weight/

ReputationRep:
    The GOMAD article is fantastic Martin, thankyou. This is something I will be trying. Seem effective, easy on the wallet and makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    I'm questioning whether you have the testicular fortitude to gain some real weight. Do it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.