Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok I've taken higher modern studies and am in S5. The main problem I have is examples within essays. I am totally clueless of how you can have examples for every single point! I really really need an A n so far am only able to achieve 10/15 which is a B+. please help me - what examples can I use?
    I'm doing
    south Africa
    USA
    Wealth n health
    electoral systems, voting and voting attitudes
    decision making in central gov

Got prelims soon so please reply quickly. A few pointers will be really appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by examination)
    Ok I've taken higher modern studies and am in S5. The main problem I have is examples within essays. I am totally clueless of how you can have examples for every single point! I really really need an A n so far am only able to achieve 10/15 which is a B+. please help me - what examples can I use?
    I'm doing
    south Africa
    USA
    Wealth n health
    electoral systems, voting and voting attitudes
    decision making in central gov

Got prelims soon so please reply quickly. A few pointers will be really appreciated!
    I have a really good Modern Studies teacher who has a website full of examples to use. I will send you a link, hopefully it will help you.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, well when you do an essay, our teacher says you have to use SEEC:

S----- this stands for STATEMENT. Make a statement at the very start of your paragraph. Here is an example: In the USA, many inequalities exist, and Blacks are the worst hit.

E----- this stands for EXPLANATION. explain what you have just said.

E---- This is EVIDENCE. This is where you introduce a statistic.

C---- Do a sub conclusion linking to the question you were given.

Here is a rough example of a paragraph on the president's powers essay:

S: As president, one of most crucial roles he must undertake is that of Chief of the Armed forces.
    E: The president manages both the placement and quantity of troops in war.

E:By August 2010, Obama reduced the number of troops in Iraq to 50,000 from 140,000.

C: This highlights his control, especially since he had the power to overrule and ignore the generals.

Hope i helped somewhat :*

ReputationRep:
    thank you both! It really helps!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    There are millions of examples you can use all over the internet. Do a bit of research (ie. go onto BBC news website) and you'll find plenty for each topic, and each sub-topic.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.