Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What British people mean when they say "you right?" Watch

ReputationRep:
    I say hello and they say that to me. I don't know if they really mean how I am or if it's just phatic communication. So you, British people in blood, flesh and speaking, what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    I think it means 'are you alright?' :/
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    It merely means "Are you alright?". I don't know of any other meanings :bebored:

English is a highly diversified language and often the editing out of letters is a common thing for different dialects and locations. This is why english is so hard for foreign people, it is very different spoken to when read and written. It tends to change every so often

ReputationRep:
    A drunk contraction of "Are you alright?" to which you reply to with "Yeh" if you aren't an attention seeker.

ReputationRep:
    No one's ever said that to me...but I'd imagine they mean "Are you alright?/How are you?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le Masquerador.)
    I think it means 'are you alright?' :/
    I know what it means generally. I asked about if "you right?" had replaced "hello" and "hi" in modern spoken British.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoulfulBoy)
    I know what it means generally. I asked about if "you right?" had replaced "hello" and "hi" in modern spoken British.
    No, people still say "hi", "y'alright" is very common though

ReputationRep:
    No, you really did not.

OP title:What British people mean when they say "you right?"

I say hello and they say that to me. I don't know if they really mean how I am or if it's just phatic communication. So you, British people in blood, flesh and speaking, what do you think?
    But no, it hasn't. We still say hello. I haven't actually heard anyone say "You right?" More, "all right?" "Fo shizzy?" and my personal favourite "Sup motherf***er?"

ReputationRep:
    It's just a common greeting.

I'm not sure about other regions, but here up Manchester when I say 'are you alrite?' I pronounce it literally 'your right'. If I really feel Northern I'll add a 'love' to it.

ReputationRep:
    It just means hi, not how are you?

ReputationRep:
    When someone says that to you just say 'alright mate' back..

ReputationRep:
    It hasn't really. I've only really heard it said by teenagers or slightly chavvy people, though obviously saying that doesn't automatically make you a chav. I'd say 'hi' is the most common greeting, round here anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Pull the other one :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I've always been tempted to answer negatively to that, and start going on about how much of a ****ty day i've been having (even if it's trolling) just to see the person's reaction but never did...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karateworm)
    Pull it off and crush my rolled eyes :rolleyes:
    Hey, is Jesus the one is your picture? I will do what you said.

ReputationRep:
    you right pretty much means 'hi, now you start the convo' :P
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    lol nobody says that round here, though I have heard it before.

Round here it's all "ay up"

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it means 'are you alright?'- usually pronounced in a fast manner, so it sounds like 'y'right?' I personally always say 'Hey, y'right?' when I greet my friends etc. :P it's just a British thing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    lol nobody says that round here, though I have heard it before.

Round here it's all "ay up"
    Aww, are those your children in your sig? They're gorgeous!
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrospect)
    Aww, are those your children in your sig? They're gorgeous!
    thank you, yes those are my kids. Trouble 1, trouble 2, and trouble 3 lol.

(just kidding, they're great kids really....most of the time )

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.