The Student Room Group

Leeds vs Sheffield, decision, decisions

So I have got all my offers :smile:
Leeds and Sheffield want the same grades so just need to decide which to go for
I know Sheffield is slightly higher in the league table but I cant find a subject table for English language
Sheffield is for English langauge and linguistics, Leeds is just for English Language
Not sure what course is better in terms of job oppurtunities, both courses interest me though
Really want a big city as I live in a tiny village at the moment, thats what put me off Lancaster as it was sort of secluded.
The only thing putting me off Leeds is the sort of rah rah public school jack wills culture . know its a stereotype but at the same time its really not my scene. And I spotted quite a few when looking round :P
I didnt really get to see much of centre of Sheffield. Leeds was pretty nice didnt seem grotty. I live in Maidstone at the moment, not the most beautiful place, not a snob but wouldnt mind somewhere a little nicer than that. Would love any kind of advice especially if you know both unis THANKS!
I know exactly how you feel; I have recently made exactly the same decision between the two for Chemistry. The course was the same for grades as well as in the league tables. I think it's quite common to be stuck between the two, if you talk to anyone at either Leeds or Sheffield, quite a lot say that they applied to the other one.
For me it came down to what I thought the people would be like. Sheffield has a very low private intake for a top uni. It's true that Leeds does have a far greater public school intake (27% against 14% in Sheffield). In Leeds the Jack Wills crowd are generally known as "Devonshires" because Devonshire halls of residence attract more of the posh crowd. But they aren't typical (the normal people look down on them, they're sort of renowned) and anyway, Leeds is quite a lot larger that Sheffield so there will be more of most types of social group anyway.
Leeds is said to have better nightlife, but having been to Sheffield a few times I don't think that I'd ever feel bored there (I come from a small town too). I found Sheffield a nicer city overall, but Leeds was definatley the best campus out of all the Unis I looked at. Sheffield has a big road going through it, whereas Ledds is more of a campus, but is really near town and isn't secluded in the same way that places like York or Nottingham are.
Have a look at the Virgin Guide to British Universities book, its much better for what the places are actually like than the Times or Guardian books. Either way, you can't go too far wrong with those choices, so good luck for wherever you go!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending