Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My problem is a little complicated, and i need all the advice i can get.

So here's the deal.

One of my best friends X had this relationship on with this friend of mine Y, with whom I was never really very close. However, Y's parents dont like the thought of X and Y being together which is why Y was forced to break it off. Incidentally, me and Y ended up in the UK, together for our higher education in London unis and have become very close since this fall.

Now the deal is, X and Y still talk a lot over the internet, but are not officially couple. Then again, they are not completely over one another. One thing is for sure, X and Y know that there is no future for them, they are just 'friends' for now. Now form what i know X still likes Y, and after spending virtually all my time in London with Y, I kind of like her too. And I also know that going into a long term relationship with her would be perfect for both of us since we are already good friends and she admits her parents wouldnt mind me being with her.

But I cannot do anything about it simply as it would completely destroy X and I cannot see that happening to him. He wont say no to it, but he will be devastated. His A Levels did not go very well, he is still looking for a uni, and he is trying to hold on to Y. The last thing he needs is this big shocker from me, a friend he trusts with Y in London. I know this because the same thing happened to me (one of my best friends decided to go after the girl i liked and literally deceived me into believing he didnt like her, and now i hate him for ever).

So what should I do?

Should I distance myself from Y allow my feelings to subside, or should i do what feels right for now and see where my friendship with Y leads us to over time? Because, I think I could have something amazing with her, and I really need to be with someone. Maybe he will understand later that 3 years is a long time? The last thing I want to do is tell him.

ReputationRep:
    All is fair in love and war... *Sighs*
    Do whatever you want. If you allow yourself to be swayed by what other people tell you in relation to your feelings, you won't make the right choice because you have to listen to your feelings, not trolls

ReputationRep:
    There's an unwritten rule that you don't go out with your mates' exs.
    However, in this case, seen as you two are very close and spend a lot of time together, and seen as they are still mates, I'd say go ahead.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I know this because the same thing happened to me (one of my best friends decided to go after the girl i liked and literally deceived me into believing he didnt like her, and now i hate him for ever).
    Can i just ask, this girl you liked, did she like you back? There's a situation with some of my friends where one of them (A) is going out with a guy that the other (B) really liked, however nothing ever happened between (B) and the guy because he never felt that way about her, but he had always liked (A). If that makes sense at all. So not going out with a friends Ex, but someone they liked. Also (B) is one of those people that likes every guy within a 10 mile radius, so not at all just this one guy.

Is this acceptable at all or friendship breaking behaviour? I dont know how to act with them both as B is not happy with A..

Any one else have an opinion on this?

ReputationRep:
    Do what makes you happy! Friends come and go, especially if, from what I gather, you are an international student and are planning on staying in London long term. What if this girl would make you happy? Is it worth not being happy and feeling helpless in that you can't express your feelings for the girl for the sake of your friend who I assume is abroad?

Food for thought.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.