Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girlfriends gran got me a present. Watch

Been going our for 3 months but knew her for longer.. I've met her gran like three times. First was only briefly popping in her house and away again. Second was pretty much the same. and the third we took her food shopping and for Tea due to her mobility problems.

The time we went shopping was actually very recently, I grabbed a few small budget items on the way round the shops for myself to eat afterwards for lunch. At the checkpoint she tried to pay for them, I told her I appreciated the nice gesture but wouldn't let her. I'll pay me own way.

I was on the phone to my girlfriend this afternoon and she said 'oh my gran said she has got you something for xmas and a card.' - I'm like, tell her not to bother it's ok. Christ, I think its very very thoughtful and I highly appreciate it but I don't expect or want anything. I'm afraid she'll stick a fiver or tenner in the card as she tried to give me petrol money that day as well and I shouldn't take it. Of Course this is a gift and it would be rude of me not to accept it but what do I do? - I thought about returning the gesture and taking up flowers or something with my girlfriend one day just to say think I guess.

I must be liked as my ex's mum bought me an Easter egg as well this year haha.

ReputationRep:
    Unless the grandmother is piss poor I don't see the problem.

ReputationRep:
    Let them do something nice for you. There's a difference between doing something just to appear nice, and doing something because you are actually nice. I think this is a case of the latter. It's something she genuinely wants to do, so let her.

ReputationRep:
    Just accept it and say thank you. Its a lovely thought and she didn't need to do it. Saying no would break the poor womans heart

ReputationRep:
    Don't see problem either. MAN UP.

ReputationRep:
    The grandmother expects you to accept it.

Therefore, accept it.

Pure logic.

What else?

ReputationRep:
    Just get her something in return.

ReputationRep:
    Grandmas are just like that :p: Why's it such a problem? Taking a present is totally different from taking money for petrol, imo.

If you do buy her some nice flowers in return you'd probably make her day

ReputationRep:
    Awww

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Been going our for 3 months but knew her for longer.. I've met her gran like three times. First was only briefly popping in her house and away again. Second was pretty much the same. and the third we took her food shopping and for Tea due to her mobility problems.

The time we went shopping was actually very recently, I grabbed a few small budget items on the way round the shops for myself to eat afterwards for lunch. At the checkpoint she tried to pay for them, I told her I appreciated the nice gesture but wouldn't let her. I'll pay me own way.

I was on the phone to my girlfriend this afternoon and she said 'oh my gran said she has got you something for xmas and a card.' - I'm like, tell her not to bother it's ok. Christ, I think its very very thoughtful and I highly appreciate it but I don't expect or want anything. I'm afraid she'll stick a fiver or tenner in the card as she tried to give me petrol money that day as well and I shouldn't take it. Of Course this is a gift and it would be rude of me not to accept it but what do I do? - I thought about returning the gesture and taking up flowers or something with my girlfriend one day just to say think I guess.

I must be liked as my ex's mum bought me an Easter egg as well this year haha.

Maaaan chill out!
    Buy her some flowers if she gives you money, and a thankyou card. Then keep the rest! She wouldn't give it you if she couldnt afford it, or you didn't deserve it!

ReputationRep:
    That must mean she likes you! I always take it as a good sign if relatives or friend's/S.O.'s relatives want to 'spoil' you a little.
    Take it as a token of her affection, you should be flattered.

ReputationRep:
    She wants you.

ReputationRep:
    What?

First time I met my boyfriends gran she bought me a lottery ticket :rofl:

My gran has met my boyfriend once and she is taking both of us to the theatre in January. My other gran paid for me and him to go to a car show we'd saved for.

Bear in mind, old people (in general) have a nice bit of money tucked away, they don't go on holidays really, they don't spend money on extravagant cars, they don't need to save for house deposits. They LIKE spending their money on people they care about. Obviously she likes you, and she wants to show that. Just let her. I really don't see the problem.

If you don't want to be rude, do the same for her. Buy her a box of chocolates/bunch of flowers and a card. That way you don't feel like you haven't done anything for her.

ReputationRep:
    Got GILF?

That minx wants you in her bed, right now, playing with her saggy funbags. :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    Just calm down and accept it graciously.

ReputationRep:
    Bang it fam.

ReputationRep:
    She fancies you.

You're the new toy boy.

Hope you're into GILF.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.