Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Heya.

I'm in a bit of a situation, and I'll need your help resolving it. Let me break down the last few months to you:

I started sixth form taking maths, psychology, sociology, and media studies. Two weeks in I dropped maths and took up english lit & lang. Initially I was hellbent on studying psychology at uni, but recently I've considered other subjects, such as linguistics, philisophy, politics, something like that. I'm very keen on social science and humanities as you can see, generally a subject where I can express myself - a freedom I could never find with natural sciences or maths.

Anyway, even more recently I've come to realise that my subject choice may impact what I can apply for and, in a sense, where I can apply. Media studies, in all honesty, I took because at GCSE we lost out on filming, and I wanted to produce something - I'll be dropping it at the end of AS and picking up another subject. I took up psychology for obvious reasons, and sociology just interested me, even if it is considered a doss subject. I've always loved english. I seriously missed it when I was taking maths, and the only reason I didn't take english lit instead of double was because not enough people in my year chose lit over double.

So, I'll try simplify my questions:

What courses shouldn't I apply for with the subjects I take? - I want to know from your personal experience and opinions. Psychology I'm definitely still considering, but my interests cover pretty much every area of social science and humanities. Is English at uni definitely out of the question? What other subjects are definitely out of the question? Obviously I'm not asking you to pick my course for me, but what couldn't I take?

Do you have any suggestions for what AS I should take to replace media? - I was considering history, politics, philisophy and ethics, or religious studies. A language was also considered, but I could take a class in a language at a local college. Also, if I were to take an AS in year 13, could I, and should I, use my gap year to get the full A-level in it? I'd be willing to finance it myself, but am I allowed to do that?

Apart from oxbridge, is there anywhere I shouldn't even bother applying to? - I'm aiming for all As at AS, which I reckon I could pull off. However, I'm slightly worried that a highly conservative-oriented institution would look at sociology and psychology and not even consider me for whatever course I apply to, especially since I'm lacking economics or history or something like that. From experience, can anyone identify any universities like this?

If you have any questions about this, then just ask what I mean. Thanks in advance - oh, and if I'm in the wrong area, could this be moved to the right area? Sorry, I'm new here :P

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.