The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Is there an actual accomodation open day?

I got my welcome pack from Nottingham the other day and there's a few pages about the different types of accomodation and what not, but there's no indication if there's an open day to look around them or not? Anyone know anything about this?
Reply 1
I don't know about Nottingham but for all of my unis I looked at the accommodation when I went on a open day. It wasn't specifically an open day for accommodation but that was one of the things you could do while there.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Typically, you'll have a walkthrough of some accommodation on the normal Open Day; they typically take you through just the one set of halls, but I've known people to show people around two. Whilst of course every set of halls is different, they are very similar overall, although there are clear differences between Jubilee and UP accommodation, so if you can get your tour guide to go through both sets of accommodation, that would be awesome :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by DarkWhite
Typically, you'll have a walkthrough of some accommodation on the normal Open Day; they typically take you through just the one set of halls, but I've known people to show people around two. Whilst of course every set of halls is different, they are very similar overall, although there are clear differences between Jubilee and UP accommodation, so if you can get your tour guide to go through both sets of accommodation, that would be awesome :smile:

Jubilee and UP? :colondollar: But yeah, makes sense they would do it on a normal one I guess, I just know Liverpool had it so it was a separate one.

I see youre at Nottingham, can I ask a quick Q? Was gonna make a thread but maybe you can help anyway. Ive been at uni until now, just dropped out, and I was catered. Realised it wa s awaste of money for me, so I really want self catered if I go to Notts. Would you happen to know anything about which SC ones are better than others etc? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by impossible!
Jubilee and UP? :colondollar: But yeah, makes sense they would do it on a normal one I guess, I just know Liverpool had it so it was a separate one.

I see youre at Nottingham, can I ask a quick Q? Was gonna make a thread but maybe you can help anyway. Ive been at uni until now, just dropped out, and I was catered. Realised it wa s awaste of money for me, so I really want self catered if I go to Notts. Would you happen to know anything about which SC ones are better than others etc? :smile:

Jubilee campus; University Park campus :p: People studying on UP might knock Jubilee accommodation for the distance though, and it's all en-suite so can be quite expensive. Having said that, free hopper bus to UP which takes around 5 minutes, and runs every 15 mins, and brand new accommodation, so good and bad from different angles :smile:

But yeah, they typically go through a set of halls and show you a few different room types (e.g. shared study, single study, en-suite etc).

Sure, but at Notts, the SC accommodation is all off-campus and not run by the university. The most popular is Broadgate Park, as it's around 2 minutes walk onto campus, being just across the road. Additionally, there is Raleigh Park, which is about 5-8 minutes walk from Jubilee campus. There's also St Peter's Court, which operates a free bus to UP. All of these and lovely and modern, as Raleigh Park and SPC are relatively new accommodation, and BGP has been renovated in the past few years :smile: SPC has a free gym as well actually, although I can't say how busy it gets.

You can find out more info on all of those @ http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/nh/students/accomm/self_catered_residences/

If I were to recommend one, I'd say Broadgate. It's literally only just off-campus, and probably about a 5-10 minute walk to everything you need Students' Union wise, about 5 minutes walk to a hopper bus stop which will take you all around campus, to Jubilee etc, and for food buying, it's about a 10 minute walk from Sainsbury's, Lidl, and about 15 minutes to a 24 hour Tesco now. For bread, milk, etc, they have a convenience store on site. That, and it looks all new inside from the renovation :p:
Reply 5
Jubilee campus; University Park campus :p: People studying on UP might knock Jubilee accommodation for the distance though, and it's all en-suite so can be quite expensive. Having said that, free hopper bus to UP which takes around 5 minutes, and runs every 15 mins, and brand new accommodation, so good and bad from different angles :smile:

But yeah, they typically go through a set of halls and show you a few different room types (e.g. shared study, single study, en-suite etc).

Sure, but at Notts, the SC accommodation is all off-campus and not run by the university. The most popular is Broadgate Park, as it's around 2 minutes walk onto campus, being just across the road. Additionally, there is Raleigh Park, which is about 5-8 minutes walk from Jubilee campus. There's also St Peter's Court, which operates a free bus to UP. All of these and lovely and modern, as Raleigh Park and SPC are relatively new accommodation, and BGP has been renovated in the past few years :smile: SPC has a free gym as well actually, although I can't say how busy it gets.

You can find out more info on all of those @ http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/nh/students/accomm/self_catered_residences/

If I were to recommend one, I'd say Broadgate. It's literally only just off-campus, and probably about a 5-10 minute walk to everything you need Students' Union wise, about 5 minutes walk to a hopper bus stop which will take you all around campus, to Jubilee etc, and for food buying, it's about a 10 minute walk from Sainsbury's, Lidl, and about 15 minutes to a 24 hour Tesco now. For bread, milk, etc, they have a convenience store on site. That, and it looks all new inside from the renovation :p:

Ah that's great, thanks for the info. Ah it's pretty annoying not beign uni owned and stuff like that. Are you catered by any chance? If so, what are the times to go to tea and how's the food? I might just end up going catered after all I guess, even though I only attended half the meals in Liverpool haha.

Thanks again for answering stuff! :smile:

EDIT: Just realised you might not actually be a first year so this may be asking about the past lol.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by impossible!
Ah that's great, thanks for the info. Ah it's pretty annoying not beign uni owned and stuff like that. Are you catered by any chance? If so, what are the times to go to tea and how's the food? I might just end up going catered after all I guess, even though I only attended half the meals in Liverpool haha.

Thanks again for answering stuff! :smile:

EDIT: Just realised you might not actually be a first year so this may be asking about the past lol.

No worries. I wouldn't worry about it not being uni-owned - you still get access to the Student Network Service for Internet, local file access etc; there's the JCR with the normal JCR committee with SU reps and all that, so it's not like anyone is even out of the loop or anything :smile:

I was catered last year, yeah. Food times as I remember them Mon-Fri:

Breakfast: 7:30-10:00 - croissants, eggs, yoghurt, a few different types of melon, toast, cereal etc.

Lunch: 12:00-14:00 - there was always an excellent range of salad stuffs (like you'd get in Pizza Hut is best description!), chips orcurly fries, paninis, sandwiches/baps, and then they'd have something else like wraps, pizza, w.e. on.

Dinner: 17:30-19:00 - couple of different veg, couple of different potatoes, and choice of around 3 main meals. Pudding as well, and a soup of the day with a load of chunky breads available. So you can have a 4 course meal :smile:

Sat-Sun:

Brunch: 10:30-13:00 - full English, salad, cereals, and some alternative like paninis and whatnot.

Dinner: 17:00-18:00 - same as Mon-Fri.

You'd always have a free hot drinks machine, orange/blackcurrent, sliced breadwith butters, jams, sauces etc, yoghurts, salad, cereal available.

Worth noting that for lunch you don't have to go back to your halls - you ca either use any of the halls on the campus, or you can go to any other food outlet in libraries, schools/departments, cafes and whatnot, and this year students have a £4.90 allowance, which when I had a meal card was enough to get sandwiches, drink, crisps, couple of bits of fruit, and a couple of snacks e,.g. flapjack, shortcake, dried fruit, etc.

You really can get a lotfor your money, no doubt about that. Food would get mixed reviews - I liked it, but then I'm not fussy, and I simply appreciated the convenience when I was so busy with things! Some people would complain about the food, but would gladly finish with a clean plate after a 3 course meal then coffee. Definitely worth the money imo.

And yep, I was in halls last year; second year now :p:
Reply 7
No worries. I wouldn't worry about it not being uni-owned - you still get access to the Student Network Service for Internet, local file access etc; there's the JCR with the normal JCR committee with SU reps and all that, so it's not like anyone is even out of the loop or anything :smile:

I was catered last year, yeah. Food times as I remember them Mon-Fri:

Breakfast: 7:30-10:00 - croissants, eggs, yoghurt, a few different types of melon, toast, cereal etc.

Lunch: 12:00-14:00 - there was always an excellent range of salad stuffs (like you'd get in Pizza Hut is best description!), chips orcurly fries, paninis, sandwiches/baps, and then they'd have something else like wraps, pizza, w.e. on.

Dinner: 17:30-19:00 - couple of different veg, couple of different potatoes, and choice of around 3 main meals. Pudding as well, and a soup of the day with a load of chunky breads available. So you can have a 4 course meal :smile:

Sat-Sun:

Brunch: 10:30-13:00 - full English, salad, cereals, and some alternative like paninis and whatnot.

Dinner: 17:00-18:00 - same as Mon-Fri.

You'd always have a free hot drinks machine, orange/blackcurrent, sliced breadwith butters, jams, sauces etc, yoghurts, salad, cereal available.

Worth noting that for lunch you don't have to go back to your halls - you ca either use any of the halls on the campus, or you can go to any other food outlet in libraries, schools/departments, cafes and whatnot, and this year students have a £4.90 allowance, which when I had a meal card was enough to get sandwiches, drink, crisps, couple of bits of fruit, and a couple of snacks e,.g. flapjack, shortcake, dried fruit, etc.

You really can get a lotfor your money, no doubt about that. Food would get mixed reviews - I liked it, but then I'm not fussy, and I simply appreciated the convenience when I was so busy with things! Some people would complain about the food, but would gladly finish with a clean plate after a 3 course meal then coffee. Definitely worth the money imo.

And yep, I was in halls last year; second year now :p:

Ah that sounds a lot nicer than Liverpool food wise anyway. Im liking that lunch is included actually, it wasnt in my contract.

Again, thanks for the help and info, it's really useful!

Quick Reply

Latest