The Student Room Group

Only rejected by letter, not via UCAS. Can I still swap my choice?

I'll keep it as short as I can..

Leeds have rejected me from studying English and instead offered me BA Cultural Studies, which I have declined via phone (I know, I know), via a typed letter...

So, within reason, whilst they may be preparing to inform UCAS, can I still change my choice on Track before they do due there being no correspondence as far as UCAS is concerned?

There's no point accepting a rejection if I can make another choice, right? :dontknow:
Reply 1
almost certainly not
Theoretically, yes you can (assuming you're also within a fortnight of the welcome letter being sent) - you can't do anything once it shows up on Track ... but before then as far as UCAS know, they haven't made a decision yet.

Not sure if it actually would, though.
Reply 3
Original post by TheSownRose
Theoretically, yes you can (assuming you're also within a fortnight of the welcome letter being sent) - you can't do anything once it shows up on Track ... but before then as far as UCAS know, they haven't made a decision yet.

Not sure if it actually would, though.

Yeah, the letter was sent on the 7th and the call was made on Wednesday this week. Wasn't thinking of this situation when I rang them.

Don't want to do anything without being sure in case its against the system, thus putting my application at risk, but as you say, theoretically, it makes sense.
Reply 4
When did you submit UCAS?
Original post by metro2610
Yeah, the letter was sent on the 7th and the call was made on Wednesday this week. Wasn't thinking of this situation when I rang them.

Don't want to do anything without being sure in case its against the system, thus putting my application at risk, but as you say, theoretically, it makes sense.

I doubt you're going to find anyone who has done it, so it might come down to taking a risk or accepting the rejection.

It definitely makes sense that it would work in theory. I doubt it would cancel your entire application, you'd likely just be told it couldn't be done if you can't.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Try it, whats the worst that could happen?
Reply 7
Original post by cpdavis
When did you submit UCAS?

19th October.

I'm a re-applicant so the process went a lot quicker this time round..
Are you in the 2 week window where you can substitute choices? If you are then theoretically you could change your choice before the uni tells UCAS but I wouldn't... the possible consequences of doing that would scare me.
Reply 9
Original post by EnVogue
Try it, whats the worst that could happen?

Potential withdrawal from the 2011 entry cycle? :redface:
Reply 10

19th October.

You can't then. You have 2 weeks from when you apply.

You could cancel the choice, but this would not mean you can pick another. It just means you won't have to see "rejected" on Track as technically you rejected them.
19th October.

You submitted it on the 19th of October and your welcome letter from UCAS is dated December 7th?
Reply 12
Original post by diamonddust
Are you in the 2 week window where you can substitute choices? If you are then theoretically you could change your choice before the uni tells UCAS but I wouldn't... the possible consequences of doing that would scare me.

Oh, the possibility to change a choice only lasts two weeks? Thought it was still available if no choice had been made by the university?

Massive fail on my part if the prior is the case.. :colondollar:
Original post by Juno

You could cancel the choice, but this would not mean you can pick another. It just means you won't have to see "rejected" on Track as technically you rejected them.

Technically, it's two weeks from the date on the welcome letter not date you apply ... but unless it's a case of he submitted it then and the referee sent it off much later, there won't be over two months between him submitting and the welcome letter being sent.
Reply 14
Original post by Juno

Ahh I see.. Was led to believe otherwise :s-smilie:

Nice one then, thanks for bringing that to my attention :smile:

You submitted it on the 19th of October and your welcome letter from UCAS is dated December 7th?

Naa, that was the rejection letter from Leeds.

Evidently though, I've been a bit of tool with this :frown: Cheers for the replies though!
Oh, the possibility to change a choice only lasts two weeks? Thought it was still available if no choice had been made by the university?

Massive fail on my part if the prior is the case.. :colondollar:

Have a look at your welcome letter from UCAS and see what the date is; if it's any date before 3rd December, you're out of time - you only get two weeks between the date of the letter being sent to substitute choices.

Sorry. As Juno says, you can cancel it to save yourself having to see the 'Unsuccessful' on Track because technically you will have chosen to cancel your application to them.
Naa, that was the rejection letter from Leeds.

Evidently though, I've been a bit of tool with this :frown: Cheers for the replies though!

That's all right - not being a tool, just misunderstood. :wink:

I'm kind of disappointed, though. Wanted to see if the universe imploded when you tried to substitute a choice that had rejected you. :frown:
Reply 17
That's all right - not being a tool, just misunderstood. :wink:

I'm kind of disappointed, though. Wanted to see if the universe imploded when you tried to substitute a choice that had rejected you. :frown:

Haha, cheers :wink2:

Would have been interesting to see if it worked :rolleyes: Ahh well, still got a 5th choice to fill yet :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending