Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Selling tickets online Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Basically, I just wanted to know the barriers/steps & costs associated with selling tickets online for events. I'm pretty sure you have to be registered as a company and have a VAT number, guessed from viewings sites such as Ticket Web and Fatsoma who offer these services.
    I've searched but been unable to find any sort of answer and was wondering if anyone here had a greater insight or could give me a pointer in the right direction....?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    My friend sold her's on ebay. That wasn't really useful...

ReputationRep:
    Same steps as selling anyone else. You don't need a VAT number if you're turning over below a certain value. This is really a business question rather than a dev one, and you'd be best getting advice from professionals (accountants, etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steadyg)
    Hi. Basically, I just wanted to know the barriers/steps & costs associated with selling tickets online for events. I'm pretty sure you have to be registered as a company and have a VAT number, guessed from viewings sites such as Ticket Web and Fatsoma who offer these services.
    I've searched but been unable to find any sort of answer and was wondering if anyone here had a greater insight or could give me a pointer in the right direction....?
    Thanks.
    Erm, decent payment-processing system or bespoke system with a non self-signed SSL certificate to be kept up-to-date, hosting, domain etc ofc; if you want to keep records then a bit of investment in security wouldn't go a miss.

In terms of VAT, I believe the threshold is around £68k-£70k before you need to register. However, you can register voluntarily, as it can make you look more credible. Additionally, if you register for VAT, then you can claim back business expenses minus the VAT.

But as has been said, these are more business questions tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    Erm, decent payment-processing system or bespoke system with a non self-signed SSL certificate to be kept up-to-date, hosting, domain etc ofc; if you want to keep records then a bit of investment in security wouldn't go a miss.

In terms of VAT, I believe the threshold is around £68k-£70k before you need to register. However, you can register voluntarily, as it can make you look more credible. Additionally, if you register for VAT, then you can claim back business expenses minus the VAT.

But as has been said, these are more business questions tbh
    Unless you're spending more than you're selling, there is no good reason to become VAT registered. It essentially adds 20% to all of your products and will not help your business unless (as I pointed out) you have the worst business model ever. By all means register as a company (in fact, you should), but don't register for VAT unless you absolutely have to.

This is coming from someone who is registered as a company and is VAT registered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    For certain types of records "a bit of investment in security" isn't just desirable. It's required and the bit is likely to have a few zero's at the end.

If you can it's probably cheaper to get someone else to handle most of the sales side of things.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I'll probably have to dig a bit deeper, but on second thoughts may be better to initially offer payments through a third party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steadyg)
    Thanks. I'll probably have to dig a bit deeper, but on second thoughts may be better to initially offer payments through a third party.
    Probably for the best, no need to reinvent the wheel!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.