Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello =)

I've applied to UCL for an undergraduate course in Biochemistry. I received this week an email entitled "Survey: Biochemistry/Biotechnology Admissions Questionnaire?". It's described as part of the selection process... so obviously it's pretty important. I suppose they hand out interviews by looking at the results from this questionnaire.

Most of the questions are very personal statement - ey... i.e. What attracted you to Biochemistry? What other courses have you considered? Have you any career plans?

The last question threw me a bit though... I'm not quite sure how to answer it. I mean, there are different ways in which I could...

"Please summarise the design, results and interpretation of a scientific experiment that you have conducted as part of your studies or that you have read about."

Should I talk about a class experiment (which, when written down might not seem all that thrilling... but perhaps more appropriate) or stick with an article from New Scientist or Biological Sciences Review that I can use as a guide? I reckon it's the hardest question and will really seperate out the applicants so I want my answer to be the best it can be. Any suggestions?

Thanks =D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GagginForSax)
    Hello =)

I've applied to UCL for an undergraduate course in Biochemistry. I received this week an email entitled "Survey: Biochemistry/Biotechnology Admissions Questionnaire?". It's described as part of the selection process... so obviously it's pretty important. I suppose they hand out interviews by looking at the results from this questionnaire.

Most of the questions are very personal statement - ey... i.e. What attracted you to Biochemistry? What other courses have you considered? Have you any career plans?

The last question threw me a bit though... I'm not quite sure how to answer it. I mean, there are different ways in which I could...

"Please summarise the design, results and interpretation of a scientific experiment that you have conducted as part of your studies or that you have read about."

Should I talk about a class experiment (which, when written down might not seem all that thrilling... but perhaps more appropriate) or stick with an article from New Scientist or Biological Sciences Review that I can use as a guide? I reckon it's the hardest question and will really seperate out the applicants so I want my answer to be the best it can be. Any suggestions?

Thanks =D
    Hey,

it's best to choose an experiment which you carried out yourself. Just think of a particular experiment which you did in lesson or as a coursework which you liked. I think its better than describing an experiment which you have read about. I received my offer for biochemistry at UCL last week and I basically answered the questions based on what I wrote in my personal statement. However in the last question I described my term paper (we have to do one with about 15 pages in germany) in which i carried out an experiment and had to analyse it. I think that was the major point why I got the offer so fast as most people seem to write about experiments which they only read about. So my tip is to take an experiment which you carried out yourself.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaklargerne)
    Hey,

it's best to choose an experiment which you carried out yourself. Just think of a particular experiment which you did in lesson or as a coursework which you liked. I think its better than describing an experiment which you have read about. I received my offer for biochemistry at UCL last week and I basically answered the questions based on what I wrote in my personal statement. However in the last question I described my term paper (we have to do one with about 15 pages in germany) in which i carried out an experiment and had to analyse it. I think that was the major point why I got the offer so fast as most people seem to write about experiments which they only read about. So my tip is to take an experiment which you carried out yourself.

Good luck
    so did you not have to do an interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by themagnum00)
    so did you not have to do an interview?
    no, international applicants do not have to attend an interview

ReputationRep:
    no, international applicants do not have to attend an interview
    ahhh okay. well done with the offer

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Good luck
    Well done on the offer! How long after sending off the questionnaire/survey did you recieve your offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou12)
    Well done on the offer! How long after sending off the questionnaire/survey did you recieve your offer?
    thanks i received the email about one week after sending off the questionnaire.

ReputationRep:
    Does everyone who applied to UCL get an questionnaire to fill or is it only applicable to international students?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Girl_Learning)
    Does everyone who applied to UCL get an questionnaire to fill or is it only applicable to international students?
    hey, i got one and i'm not international

ReputationRep:
    hey, i got one and i'm not international
    Oh ok.....does everyone get one if they have applied to UCL 2011 for biochem?

ReputationRep:
    thanks i received the email about one week after sending off the questionnaire.
    so did you get any sort of acknowledgement that they had recieved your questionnaire before you got the offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Girl_Learning)
    Oh ok.....does everyone get one if they have applied to UCL 2011 for biochem?
    not everyone but most people get it, if theyre worthy.

ReputationRep:
    so did you get any sort of acknowledgement that they had recieved your questionnaire before you got the offer?
    no, thats why I was a bit worried, so i sent it off twice. they don't seem to send you any acknowledgment concerning the questionnaire.

ReputationRep:
    no, thats why I was a bit worried, so i sent it off twice. they don't seem to send you any acknowledgment concerning the questionnaire.
    phew. thanks thats helped put my mind at rest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antantoon)
    not everyone but most people get it, if theyre worthy.
    Oh ok thnx...........people who dont get it does that mean they are not considered at all and they cannot get in?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    When i sent off my reply it came up on the screen sayingsomething like thanks and we'll be in tough shortly, but no personal acknowledgement be email or anything. I sent mine off before xmas, bit anxious, not heard anything!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Just got an invitation for interview/an open day

ReputationRep:
    Just got the invitation to the open day

ReputationRep:
    congrats

ReputationRep:
    Just got my questionnaire....phew

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.