Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What Uni course should I do if i want to be a journalist Watch

ReputationRep:
    i can only think of being a journalist career wise at the moment.
    i am considering geography, french, biology and P.E/Philosophy for A-level.
    i am quite good at geography and french (where i am fluent)

and i would like to know what would be a good university course to do if i want to be a journalist.
    please give me some advise...

ReputationRep:
    journalism

ReputationRep:
    I think most journalists have English degrees, but don't quote me on that; it just seems relevant to the profession.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this seems a bit silly, but surely taking an A level in English would be useful for Journalism?

ReputationRep:
    out of those subjects; geography, then french, or you just go for a journalism course although it helps to have a specific area of great interest/expertise.

work experience is the most important thing though, get writing, get submitting, get networking.

ReputationRep:
    PPE?

ReputationRep:
    English/Hisotry/Law

Does it not depend on what type of things you would want to write about? If I wanted to be a economics journalist, I would study economics?

ReputationRep:
    Jewish Studies.

ReputationRep:
    thanks, i havent though about english a-level because i dislike the subject and also i have been told you don't have to have do english at uni to be a journalist. i know someone who did french and italian. i guess you just need to build up a portfolio of work experience and articles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieNIN)
    journalism
    Actually, the journalism industry as a whole seems to eschew Journalism degrees (at least, at undergrad level). You'd be much better off studying English and then either going straight into journalism or taking an MA in something journalistic.

If you're going to study English at university though, OP, you really ought to have it at A-level... and if this isn't a subject you've considered taking, you might want to ask yourself whether something so heavily language-based as journalism really suits your skills? It's not impossible to get into journalism by other means, of course, but you asked what course you 'should' be taking (presumably meaning the course that will improve your chances most), rather than for a list of things you could take.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps this is tad silly, but do you not have to like English in order to be a journalist? I'm pretty sure that most good Universities would require you to have studied English at A level. :rolleyes:

Oxbridge and Cambridge don't even offer journalism; they recommend English lit/lang instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerdfighter28)
    Perhaps this is tad silly, but do you not have to like English in order to be a journalist? I'm pretty sure that most good Universities would require you to have studied English at A level. :rolleyes:

Oxbridge and Cambridge don't even offer journalism; they recommend English lit/lang instead.
    Why mention Oxford and Cambridge? They're not really on everyone's agenda...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest choosing an area in which you would like to work, and doing those A-levels and degree. For example, if you want to be a political reporter, do Politics.

I'd suggest English at A-level as well though, but I imagine the rest are fairly flexible, depending on where you want to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *pitseleh*)
    Why mention Oxford and Cambridge? They're not really on everyone's agenda...
    I know , I used those two as examples because it validates my point more than a Uni that the OP hasn't heard of. I just think that it's an indication of how important English is for Journalism.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience, it doesn't really matter, you should do a course that you are interested in and get lots of experience on the student paper.

Essay-based courses rather than sciences obviously give you writing experience, but I don't think any course is 'required'. Lots of people who want to be journalists do English, because they like writing, so it makes sense. Media and journalism undergrad degrees are not the best way to go.

ReputationRep:
    any rigourous humanities subject (history, english lit, law etc.)

ReputationRep:
    English is a typical degree which leads to journalism.

I feel English/History are great degrees for journalism but the key to journalism is experience not so much the degree.

ReputationRep:
      I have a friend who intends to progress into journalism and she is going to study Sociology.

I think sociology would be a really interesting degree.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by nerdfighter28)

Where is Oxbridge?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.