Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Let's get [BLANK] by [BLANK] to Christmas Number One 2010". Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, this has basically stemmed from another thread, but...

The 'campaign' to beat the X Factor to Christmas Number One is kind of annoying me this year...

Last year, it was unified and we (yeah, I did download it twice) managed to get Killing in the Name to Christmas Number One 2009 :cool:

This year on the other hand, so many people saw it done last time and want a song of their choice to reach the top spot. There are SO MANY Christmas Number One 2010 campaigns going round: Biffy's version of 'Many of Horror', Gamu's song (The girl who was going to get deported), Surfin' Bird etc etc.

This is why I doubt it's going to be successful this year and unfortunately, another X Factor win.. Pretty gutting after what happened last year tbh

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    It's sad that people care enough to go these ridiculous lengths to stop something getting number 1.
    Just listen to the music you enjoy and let it go.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares really?

ReputationRep:
    Who the hell is [BLANK]?

ReputationRep:
    Christmas In Harlem by Kanye West and Co. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fat-Love)
    It's sad that people care enough to go these ridiculous lengths to stop something getting number 1.
    I just don't enjoy listening to overly-manufactured pop music everytime I turn the radio on. Plus, I personally can't stand anything related to the X Factor.

The point I'm making is that I think, while it was a great campaign and idea in 2009, it's just a bit of a farce this time round :dontknow:

But each to their own at the end of the day and I do see your point :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4TSR)
    Who the hell is [BLANK]?
    You've never heard of [BLANK]?! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    Christmas In Harlem by Kanye West and Co. :cool:
    I would actually go for this.

But still, everyone should allow hating on the X Factor winners and get on with their own lives... stop watching what other people do and watch yourself...

ReputationRep:
    Everyone who was going to buy the X-factor single is still going to buy it, so they'll still get all the money from it. The only thing you could possibly take from them is the glory of being Christmas Number 1, but if you don't really care about the charts then does that really matter?

ReputationRep:
    I boycotted that scheme last year. I didn't buy either song. I hated the whole lack of Christmas spirit that it all had, and the song itself. I mean, putting an angry, hate-ridden song like that to Christmas number one was both petty and totally Scrooge-like. Even the title is totally anti-Christmas. I don't want to think about killing at this time of year! Geez! Couldn't you have at least chosen a festive song? And not done it at Christmas?! Enough of the hatred. :lol: It's pretty petty to hate on the X-factor winner just because they represent Simon Cowells domination of the music industry, don't you think? If you want to buy the song cos you like it, fine. But don't buy it just because you hate the X-factor and want to see it burn.

But for the record, I'd like to see Peppermint Winter by Owl City at number 1. It's festive and cheery and snowy and I love it. But I don't know if it's on iTunes yet so my plan fails. And half the planet hates Owl City anyway. Fools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NaturalDisaster)
    I boycotted that scheme last year. I didn't buy either song. I hated the whole lack of Christmas spirit that it all had, and the song itself. I mean, putting an angry, hate-ridden song like that to Christmas number one was both petty and totally Scrooge-like. I'm all for rebelling against Simon Cowell taking over the charts but couldn't you have at least chosen a festive song? And not done it at Christmas?! Enough of the hatred. :lol:

But for the record, I'd like to see Peppermint Winter by Owl City at number 1. It's festive and cheery and snowy and I love it. But I don't know if it's on iTunes yet so my plan fails. And half the planet hates Owl City anyway. Fools.
    I do get your argument tbh That was the campaign going though and I am a fan of RATM so it made sense (to me at least) to boycott it last year. Thinking about it though, it could have been any song really, because hearing live that something had beaten Joe McElderry's song was one of the highlights of my year.

Wouldn't mind seeing All I Want for Christmas is New Year's Day by Hurts as Christmas Number One this year, but I know it'll never happen unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metro2610)
    I do get your argument tbh That was the campaign going though and I am a fan of RATM so it made sense (to me at least) to boycott it last year. Thinking about it though, it could have been any song really, because hearing live that something had beaten Joe McElderry's song was one of the highlights of my year.

Wouldn't mind seeing All I Want for Christmas is New Year's Day by Hurts as Christmas Number One this year, but I know it'll never happen unfortunately
    Fair enough if you like the song, but if you don't like it, you shouldn't be buying it just to prevent someone from getting Number 1 in the charts. It's so immature. My parents are in on the whole thing though, which I hate. I personally didn't like the song, but I know that other people do. "What's this?" from Nightmare Before Christmas would make a fairly good Number 1 I reckon. Even cover versions, I just like the song. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Well, the campaigns clearly mean business!

looking at the charts, (the only campaigns i know of) all released this week went straight to top 20 :eek:

#3 The Trashmen: Surfin' Bird

#7 Biffy Clyro: Many Of Horror

#18 John Cage: 4'33 (personally this would be hilarous at #1)

Go here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/update/singles

ReputationRep:
    if people are so determined to not let x factor get number one, rather than complain about people being split by loads of campains why not buy the songs for each campain? Then x factor is toppled by loads of songs =P

ReputationRep:
    I am stuck between the 4'33" by John Cage or Surfin'bird by Trashmen

Puzzled by this, I bought both.

ReputationRep:
    I took part last year and bought killing in the name of. It was fun. Its kind of embarrassing this year though because last year, it was really spontaneous and caused a sudden uprising which fuelled debate over the state of the entire music industry. This year its just lacking substance and not in true revolutionary spirit.

I couldn't care less about the charts and who gets number 1 at any point in the year. I was in favour of the campaign last year because it showed that there are less airheads around who can function a computer to buy from iTunes or go out onto public roads to buy CDs than there are people who can at the very least be made aware of the fact that the X-Factor is not a general representation of the nations music taste. Also, that its quite funny to have such an inappropriate song as Christmas No.1, which is typically a "nice" song for the whole family which utterly sucks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NaturalDisaster)
    I boycotted that scheme last year. I didn't buy either song. I hated the whole lack of Christmas spirit that it all had, and the song itself. I mean, putting an angry, hate-ridden song like that to Christmas number one was both petty and totally Scrooge-like. Even the title is totally anti-Christmas. I don't want to think about killing at this time of year! Geez! Couldn't you have at least chosen a festive song? And not done it at Christmas?! Enough of the hatred. :lol: It's pretty petty to hate on the X-factor winner just because they represent Simon Cowells domination of the music industry, don't you think? If you want to buy the song cos you like it, fine. But don't buy it just because you hate the X-factor and want to see it burn.

Oh boosy-****ing-hoo. The RATM song was chosen for a clear reason. I'm totally sick of festive christmas songs, too many of the same ****, gimmie something angry and hateful anyday (not that the RATM song was angry or hateful in any way whatsoever, you obviously listen to too much bubblegum pop if you think that).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fat-Love)
    I totally agree with this :yy:. I personally don't care very much about the Xmas Number One, or even the charts anymore. It's only measuring how popular a song is, but I don't see much prestige in it. As long as I can listen to the music I like, and that the musicians are gaining their sufficent rewards, then that's the main thing.

Anyway, fair play to people who like to get involved with these schemes, but they're just not my thing personally.

ReputationRep:
    Why is there no mention of Corey Taylor - [email protected]$?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobo06)
    Why is there no mention of Corey Taylor - [email protected]$?
    cause its ****e

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.