Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi i am torn between a bsc economics or a joint honours bsc degree in maths and economics (both in leeds.) Which would be best for msc finance (im guessing the latter, but I have no idea.)
    In advance thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the modules you'll be taking in the MSc. I take a stats module which is extremely difficult for someone without a Maths background (like me), though an A-level may be sufficient.

I study MSc Accounting & Financial Management, which is a bit different, but I share certain modules like corporate finance. The maths isn't extremely difficult and I would say a grounding in Economics is helpful, but not majorly important (though it will depend on your chosen course).

I'd take whichever one you find more interesting to be honest. If you want to study Maths, take Econ&Maths. If you don't, take pure Econ :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    It depends on the modules you'll be taking in the MSc. I take a stats module which is extremely difficult for someone without a Maths background (like me), though an A-level may be sufficient.

I study MSc Accounting & Financial Management, which is a bit different, but I share certain modules like corporate finance. The maths isn't extremely difficult and I would say a grounding in Economics is helpful, but not majorly important (though it will depend on your chosen course).

I'd take whichever one you find more interesting to be honest. If you want to study Maths, take Econ&Maths. If you don't, take pure Econ :p:
    Which Uni do you study that at?
    York?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPMS)
    Which Uni do you study that at?
    York?
    Haha no, Coventry.

What made you think York? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    Haha no, Coventry.

What made you think York? :p:
    It was just that I wanted to do that exact same course but I am hoping for the York one but I am concerned that they won't accept me due to my degree of being straight economics.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Simply choose the course you would prefer to do at undergraduate-level. They should both adequately prepare for your chosen postgraduate course.

ReputationRep:
    Do what you want at UG, then the same at PG. Someone will have you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.