Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to study computer science at university next year and I'm looking to buy a laptop that will serve me for the 3/4 years of my degree.

However, I'm unsure as to whether I want a 13" or 15" screen (I've decided against 17"). I'm attracted to the increased portability and lower price of a 13" laptop, but I'm worried that I'll find myself wishing I had more space for working.

Considering that I'm not taking a desktop to university, can any CompSci students advise me on what would be more suitable? I know ultimately it comes down to personal opinion, but I am interested in whether people think the benefits of a 15" laptop outweigh those of a 13" laptop.

Thanks for any help.

ReputationRep:
    not doing compsci... but i have a 13" laptop and then a 23" monitor... portability + screen real estate. problem solved

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    not doing compsci... but i have a 13" laptop and then a 23" monitor... portability + screen real estate. problem solved
    I hadn't thought about doing this. Great suggestion; I'll keep it in mind.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why it would matter what screen size you had for a Comp Sci degree. After all, isn't it mainly programming and maths? The only thing you may want is a good CPU and that's about it really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    I don't see why it would matter what screen size you had for a Comp Sci degree. After all, isn't it mainly programming and maths? The only thing you may want is a good CPU and that's about it really
    Yes, computer science is heavily programming-based, which is why I asked the question. In a subject where a computer is used so extensively, it's important not to feel cramped.

However, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that a 13" screen is perfectly adequate.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. Each to their own. I personally don't mind a smaller screen, but if you want a 13", then you may as well purchase one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    Fair enough. Each to their own. I personally don't mind a smaller screen, but if you want a 13", then you may as well purchase one
    see I'm the opposite, I struggle with 13" screens whereas 15.4 seems perfect

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.