Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

First snowboarding trip - What to wear? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've done a few lessons at my local indoor ski slope, and I want to eventually book a proper trip, once I've got a bit better. I usually wear tshirt & ski jacket (my brothers), tracksuit bottoms & snowboard pants (my brothers) and this is fine, but when you're actually on proper slopes, what do you wear? I asked my brother who skis (who I borrow the jacket&pants off) He's told me:

top - thermals, tshirt, ski jacket
    bottom - thermals, ski pants

apparently this is sufficient (obviously not including ski socks, scarf, helmet, goggles, gloves etc. etc. etc. but do I need more layers for when i'm actually out on the slopes, or will I get too hot?

Any dressing advice is appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    If you're going in the spring (how late this will apply will depend on resort) you're likely to get hot if you wear too much. There may be snow on the ground, but (if you're lucky) the weather's warm. I've often gone out in just a T-shirt and jumper some days. If you're going earlier in the season wear more.

I wouldn't say you NEED goggles, either, I've always just worn sunglasses.

In my book, half the time the layers are just there to cushion you when you wipe out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arekkusu)
    If you're going in the spring (how late this will apply will depend on resort) you're likely to get hot if you wear too much. There may be snow on the ground, but (if you're lucky) the weather's warm. I've often gone out in just a T-shirt and jumper some days. If you're going earlier in the season wear more.

I wouldn't say you NEED goggles, either, I've always just worn sunglasses.

In my book, half the time the layers are just there to cushion you when you wipe out.
    I'd be planning to go around february, not sure where yet. In honesty, 2 tshirts and ski jacket on indoor slope has got me a bit hot, but I'd have thought outside in the mountains it'd be worse - wind/colder.

ReputationRep:
    dont take your best jeans as the colour WILL fade, I usually just wear my leather jacket and oldish pair of jeans

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TENDYRAAA!)
    I've done a few lessons at my local indoor ski slope, and I want to eventually book a proper trip, once I've got a bit better. I usually wear tshirt & ski jacket (my brothers), tracksuit bottoms & snowboard pants (my brothers) and this is fine, but when you're actually on proper slopes, what do you wear? I asked my brother who skis (who I borrow the jacket&pants off) He's told me:

top - thermals, tshirt, ski jacket
    bottom - thermals, ski pants

apparently this is sufficient (obviously not including ski socks, scarf, helmet, goggles, gloves etc. etc. etc. but do I need more layers for when i'm actually out on the slopes, or will I get too hot?

Any dressing advice is appreciated!
    It depends where you're going, I went to Quebec and it got down to -35 at one point. For those sort of temperatures you will need:
    Face protection, balaclava for example
    Goggles
    Thermal t shirts/vests
    Long John's
    Waterproof trousers
    Thick thermal socks
    Thermal gloves, to wear under waterproof ski gloves
    Boots, unless you are renting them
    Waterproof ski jacket
    T shirt
    Jumper

I recommend these items for any ski resort where the temperature will exceed -10.

Have fun!

ReputationRep:
    i was fine wearing sallopates (or wahtever they are called) Lots of long johns and then many t shirts- i thought to myself that is enough. You actually get really hot while skiing or snowboarding- make sure you pack suncream- you can get burnt pretty bad! Bring jumpers of course but i personally dont advise you to wear them all the time- you will get hot. Moon boots are good to have as well for walking around and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I go to the Alps in February and get hot, but apparently North America is bloody freezing. Going early jan this year, interested to see what its gonna be like

ReputationRep:
    When I went to the Milky Way in Italy, I saw some people going down the slopes in just a T-shirt and ski trousers.
    It also depends on the altitude. The higher up you get, the colder it's going to be. You've done dry slopes before, so I guess you'll be at least red-run standard. I suggest bringing more than you'd need. Wear lots of thin layers under a ski jacket, and bring a rucksack if you're not sure that day. Then you can take off a layer, stick it in your rucksack, and then repeat until you're not too hot.
    I never even had longjohns when I went, I just had a pair of skinny jeans underneath my ski trousers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.