Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Here is a list, in my opinion, of the best work experience for Economics

1) Shadow an economist
    2) Work Experience at a thinktank
    3) Successful personal enterprise/business
    4) Successful share trading
    5) Volunteering/participating in large amounts of fund raising (im talking £1500+)
    5) Big4 financial services
    6) Smaller financial services

Anybody got any better ideas? Obviously knowing your economics is much, much more important, but I think any of the top 4 items on the list will give your entry an edge. I know Work Experience and its relevance has been a bit of a controversial topic on here....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DonFahad)
    Here is a list, in my opinion, of the best work experience for Economics

1) Shadow an economist
    2) Work Experience at a thinktank
    3) Successful personal enterprise/business
    4) Successful share trading
    5) Volunteering/participating in large amounts of fund raising (im talking £1500+)
    5) Big4 financial services
    6) Smaller financial services

Anybody got any better ideas? Obviously knowing your economics is much, much more important, but I think any of the top 4 items on the list will give your entry an edge. I know Work Experience and its relevance has been a bit of a controversial topic on here....
    Why every one, but (1)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPMS)
    Why every one but (1) I would like an explanation to.
    2) Many think tanks employ economists. No further explanation needed
    3) Shows knowledge of supply, demand, price targeting, etc etc etc.
    4) Shows ability to appreciate the fluctuation of markets, and of course make successful economic predictions. More useful to a prospective stock broker, but still very useful to a prospective economist.
    5) Most Economics graduates go into the financial services, in some form or another. Work experience in the big 4 shows initiative and experience, as well as being valued by one of 4 massive employers. Work Experience also leads to better graduate prospects, and every university wants that.
    6) Same as above but on a lesser level.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Reading this was funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Reading this was funny.
    How so?

ReputationRep:
    I done mine at barlcays headquaters, basically shadowing, choose one that will give you best experience and look best on your cv, I'm 15 now :|

ReputationRep:
    The first two sound quite useful but I can't see how a 17-18 year old school student would be able to do anything at an Economic thinktank besides making photocopies or at best typing numbers into spreadsheets.

The others are not relevant; they might help as general extra-curriculars/work experience to mention briefly at the end of a personal statement (for any subject) but don't expect them to make much of a difference. You need to convey a passion for the academic side of things.

ReputationRep:
    The only one that would be remotely impressive to an economics tutor would be if you've done some kind of buying of selling something yourself, and can talk about it appropriately in a PS or interview, even if its making biscuits/cakes and selling them for charity, you can talk about what your fixed/marginal costs were, how did you set your price, did you have any form of price discrimination strategy etc. They won't mind that you've just done something simple more they will want to see how you apply economic concepts to the real world.

Forget trying to kid people that you've had 'work experience', if you say on your form that you've "shadowed an economist" or had work experience in a "think tank" then the conclusion they will draw is that you have a family member working there who's let you come into the office and done some filing.

Economics isn't Medicine, ECs are not going to impress academic tutors, but if you know how to mention economic concepts in the context of some hobbies you already do then that looks more impressive. Do you like playing Monopoly with your Mum and Dad? Fantastic. What would happen if the banker restricted the money supply? What would happen to trade and transactions in the game? Do you like football? What effect do takeovers from foreign owners have on transfer fees in the game? If an oil sheikh takes over a Premiership club does that benefit other clubs? how? Do you like online betting? What makes you accept a bet? Do you do matched betting/accumulators? How do you come up with your strategy? Do you have insurance for your bike/car? Is it rational for you to gamble and also have insurance? Do you do a part time job to earn money while you study? Is this to spend money now or to save money for uni/the future? How do you decide how much to consume in this time period and how much to consume in the future?

Obviously in a PS you only have time to mention a couple of economic ideas but rather than bull about doing some EC or listing books that you have read, show the tutors that you have understood some economic concept in the context of things you do. This will also be useful if you go for Oxbridge and have an interview, it gives some conversation points.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.