Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best MSc Molecular Biology & Immunology in the UK? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Which universities offer the highest level MSc in Molecular Biology and the highest level MSc in Immunology in the UK? Is it Oxbridge? Or is there any other alternative of high level?

ReputationRep:
    There isn't such a thing as the highest level, though I guess the usual suspects are the most 'prestigious' (Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL etc). Though I don't think prestige matters nowhere near as much in science as it does if you're doing business or law or something. That and the Biomedial sciences are so fractured that you'll see vast variations between courses that will probably eclipse the prestige of the university in making a choice.

If you want straight basic immunology etc, then Imperial. If you want combined microbiology and immunology, then UCL. If you want basic and clinical style immunology then Oxford. If you want clinical diagnostic immunology then there will be courses for that (Queen Mary I think) You get the idea.

ReputationRep:
    Great blacklight, that was the kind of answer I was looking for. Thank you very much!! Think I´m going to try Oxford then.

(Original post by blacklight)
    There isn't such a thing as the highest level, though I guess the usual suspects are the most 'prestigious' (Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL etc). Though I don't think prestige matters nowhere near as much in science as it does if you're doing business or law or something. That and the Biomedial sciences are so fractured that you'll see vast variations between courses that will probably eclipse the prestige of the university in making a choice.

If you want straight basic immunology etc, then Imperial. If you want combined microbiology and immunology, then UCL. If you want basic and clinical style immunology then Oxford. If you want clinical diagnostic immunology then there will be courses for that (Queen Mary I think) You get the idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maromad89)
    Great blacklight, that was the kind of answer I was looking for. Thank you very much!! Think I´m going to try Oxford then.
    Glad to be of help. I'm at UCL, but I was a bit undecided between branches of microbiology and immunology. Definitely check out the range though, generally a decent guide of 'good' universities in the UK would be members of the Russel and 1994 groups. There are some good universities outside of that, but I think if you are coming from abroad and paying high fees then those would be the most worthwhile in general.

The Oxford course is a bit more clinical research orientated than the others I mentioned, and Oxford certainly is the most heard of if you leave the UK. I think that course has a pretty even split of medical students (who will generally be older) and science students. I'm not really sure it is so 'molecular' in its orientation though, or none more so than a regular immunology course. Cambridge I think focuses on Masters by research, so has very few taught MSc courses. Certainly last year they had no such courses.

I think you should seriously consider Imperial though, since it seems to be a pretty 'pure' course with a substantial molecular approach. Being in London has its own advantages and disadvantages though.

ReputationRep:
    Great, I think I´ll have a try with Oxford so, as I am mainly interested in doing research in Clinical (Applied) Immunology instead of basic immunology.

Thank you very much, you´ve been of great help!

(Original post by blacklight)
    Glad to be of help. I'm at UCL, but I was a bit undecided between branches of microbiology and immunology. Definitely check out the range though, generally a decent guide of 'good' universities in the UK would be members of the Russel and 1994 groups. There are some good universities outside of that, but I think if you are coming from abroad and paying high fees then those would be the most worthwhile in general.

The Oxford course is a bit more clinical research orientated than the others I mentioned, and Oxford certainly is the most heard of if you leave the UK. I think that course has a pretty even split of medical students (who will generally be older) and science students. I'm not really sure it is so 'molecular' in its orientation though, or none more so than a regular immunology course. Cambridge I think focuses on Masters by research, so has very few taught MSc courses. Certainly last year they had no such courses.

I think you should seriously consider Imperial though, since it seems to be a pretty 'pure' course with a substantial molecular approach. Being in London has its own advantages and disadvantages though.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 20, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.