Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can I find a half-decent man? Is it really too much to ask? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Here we go again, another Friday night in front of Live at the Apollo with a ready-meal. I could have gone out with some people from my old school tonight if I'd have fancied ending up dancing on the table with my knickers on my head. :shifty:

Oh my life. Is this really life post-university? Where are all the decent men? I'm the kind of lady who loves to spend the day in a library, or go for country walks and come back home to a romantic meal with a Pinot Grigio. Why can't I find like-minded individuals? Instead I'm surrounded by people who wouldn't know elegance or sophistication if it bit them on the bottom.

How can I find a half-decent man?

ReputationRep:
    I, too, like to go for country walks...

hiya
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irrasya)
    Here we go again, another Friday night in front of Live at the Apollo with a ready-meal. I could have gone out with some people from my old school tonight if I'd have fancied ending up dancing on the table with my knickers on my head. :shifty:

Oh my life. Is this really life post-university? Where are all the decent men? I'm the kind of lady who loves to spend the day in a library, or go for country walks and come back home to a romantic meal with a Pinot Grigio. Why can't I find like-minded individuals? Instead I'm surrounded by people who wouldn't know elegance or sophistication if it bit them on the bottom.

You've just read my mind in asking that question. Well I did have one decent guy in my life, but I had to move... He was great he kept offering to pay for me when we go out shopping and I always refused his offer, but he insisted. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Try and get in with that fox-hunting bunch.

ReputationRep:
    Where you interest lies, for example you might meet somebody walking the countryside
    Or in a library, at work but definetly not the bar or nightclubs.
    They say love happens when you are not looking for it :-)

ReputationRep:
    I too am watching Live at the Apollo. Chemistry?

ReputationRep:

you sound perfect....

:sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boreism)
    he kept offering to pay for me when we go out shopping and I always refused his offer, but he insisted. :rolleyes:
    That's not sophistication, that's him being needy.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ascendansy)
    That's not sophistication, that's him being needy.
    I didn't say sophistication? and yeah I know that...

ReputationRep:
    I just keep wondering how many lager-swilling losers I've got to go through to find Mr Right, and it's really depressing me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 1/4 decent will that do?

ReputationRep:
    I just keep wondering how many lager-swilling losers I've got to go through to find Mr Right, and it's really depressing me.
    From that post I presume you seem to be meeting most guys at pubs/etc.
    Try to meet someone at the library, or other places you enjoy. Also, (and this is what I can't stand about women complaining they can't get a guy) DON'T wait for someone to speak to you. Show some initiative. Go over to someone and start a conversation, even if it's just a simple "hi" or "what book are you reading?"

ReputationRep:
    I guess I should stop reading threads if I know they will merely annoy me, but whatever, I've got too much free time on my hands.

This is such a false dichotomy - 1. someone cooking you a romantic meal with a Pinot Grigio (whatever the hell that is) vs 2. men who get pissed every night and are afraid of intelligent conversation. The vast, vast majority of men are in neither of these categories. If you have very high standards and are holding out for someone who is attractive, wealthy, enjoys nice meals with posh wine, etc etc, then that's up to you, but this post is no less stupid or sexist than the raving misogynistic ones about "all girls are shallow ****s" that get started by boys here.

ReputationRep:
    virgin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Gregory)
    I guess I should stop reading threads if I know they will merely annoy me, but whatever, I've got too much free time on my hands.

This is such a false dichotomy - 1. someone cooking you a romantic meal with a Pinot Grigio (whatever the hell that is) vs 2. men who get pissed every night and are afraid of intelligent conversation. The vast, vast majority of men are in neither of these categories. If you have very high standards and are holding out for someone who is attractive, wealthy, enjoys nice meals with posh wine, etc etc, then that's up to you, but this post is no less stupid or sexist than the raving misogynistic ones about "all girls are shallow ****s" that get started by boys here.
    Hear hear! :scrooge:

If she wants my level of sophistication there will be a trade-off. I demand to come on her face everyday. Preferably she will also be of noble blood.

ReputationRep:
    It really is too much to ask :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    there'll probably be a few in the men's changing rooms.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

Cue loads of replies from guys claiming to be said "half-decent man"... (maybe that was your intention?)

(Original post by Rzc)
    I, too, like to go for country walks...

hiya
    And there you have it - the first post within 2 minutes is one such reply.

ReputationRep:
    Oh give it a rest love, stop living in the dream world and settle down with an average bloke.

+ i bet if a guy did embody all those qualities, you women still wouldn't be happy!!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Lollo*)
    I could have written this! The type of men you are describing are certainly a minority. Most of my male friends are out getting pissed tonight, as they are most weekends, and it doesn't really matter if they are clever or not, during the weekends they're all the same. The guys I've met that are actually like you're describing, tend to be quite arrogant (as if they don't know there are others out there also reading Simone de Beauvoir, they believe they have recently discovered this and are therefore superior to all). Not to mention: a lot of guys don't want to date girls that are smarter than them, or even if equally clever (if they are intellectuals). I think I'd take an arrogant ******* over what is out there any day.
    Haha no. The ones who are as described are less likely to associate with those who are "out getting pissed", and by proxy you since you are friends with said wasters. As for not wanting to date girls smarter than them, I've never heard of this one - perhaps this only applies to men who aren't very smart anyway?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 20, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.