Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in uni, living in a house with 4 other flatmates as I missed out on getting student halls on-campus.

2 of the housemates already knew each from before so they are always off doing their own thing and I feel like a tag along. I am friends with one of the housemates but we dont do things together and the 4th housemate always stays in his room. I feel unhappy where I am living as we don't really do things together and end up just staying in my room.

I like my course, the uni and have made some good friends on the course. However most of my friends commute and the others go back to their own flatmates so we never go out to events.

I feel like I am missing out on events and having a good time.

I have been trying to move on-campus, i think it would be a good opportunity to move into a new flat in january. However had no luck because there are no spaces available.

I cant keep living like this, I want to enjoy my uni experience!!! I have run out of solutions.

Any suggestions please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 03aman)
    I am currently in uni, living in a house with 4 other flatmates as I missed out on getting student halls on-campus.

2 of the housemates already knew each from before so they are always off doing their own thing and I feel like a tag along. I am friends with one of the housemates but we dont do things together and the 4th housemate always stays in his room. I feel unhappy where I am living as we don't really do things together and end up just staying in my room.

I like my course, the uni and have made some good friends on the course. However most of my friends commute and the others go back to their own flatmates so we never go out to events.

I feel like I am missing out on events and having a good time.

I have been trying to move on-campus, i think it would be a good opportunity to move into a new flat in january. However had no luck because there are no spaces available.

I cant keep living like this, I want to enjoy my uni experience!!! I have run out of solutions.

Any suggestions please.
    Ask your accommodations office to put you on a waiting list and contact you if anything comes up - often, quite a few people drop out over Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    I only speak to one person in my house reguarly and im in university accom. It aint all its cracked up to be.

ReputationRep:
    My entire flat and I have done one thing together in the whole semester -- and that was go to a carvery for christmas, which lasted 2 hours. So, don't worry too much as halls isn't the magic the solution to your problem. Try joining some socities, or organise a night out with the people who you do know and ask them to bring whoever they fancy and you'll get talking to everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, ermm im just scared to go to societies by myself lool but i will try in january/

How u finding ur uni experience?

ReputationRep:
    I was in halls last year and it was awful - I did nothing with the people I met there. I'm in a house this year (at a diff uni, I'm a fresher again), and we do stuff together but that's because we kinda knew each other beforehand.

Seriously, try and ask out your coursemates, and see what happens. Even if you just go for lunch or something. And societies are such a good thing to meet people through

ReputationRep:
    Like some of the other people have said on this thread, halls wouldn't necessarily be the answer the problems youve mentioned with your current housemates could still happen in halls. Societies are a great idea, you'll meet lots of people with similar interests and they usually organise loads of social activities and stuff so youll get plenty of opportunities to go out and have a good time, i wouldn't feel too nervous about going to societies on your own, generally societies are always freindly and happy to have new members and lots of people join societies on their own without knowing anyone there previously.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.