Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've just had a Samsung N150 netbook and am trying to connect it to our home wireless network. It uses WEP encryption/security and I can't work out how to connect to netbook to it. When I enter in the security key it just says unable to connect. Changing to WPA isn't really an option at the moment. Any help anyone could give would be great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HacklyFracture)
    Hi,

I've just had a Samsung N150 netbook and am trying to connect it to our home wireless network. It uses WEP encryption/security and I can't work out how to connect to netbook to it. When I enter in the security key it just says unable to connect. Changing to WPA isn't really an option at the moment. Any help anyone could give would be great.
    When it says unable to connect, does it present any other error message, or a link to a troubleshooting utility?

If not, assuming it's Windows 7, if you go into Control Panel, then Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Centre, then there should be a link to troubleshoot there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    When it says unable to connect, does it present any other error message, or a link to a troubleshooting utility?

If not, assuming it's Windows 7, if you go into Control Panel, then Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Centre, then there should be a link to troubleshoot there
    Yeah, it runs a troubleshooting utility but just says 'unable to connect' and doesn't seem to fix the problem. We've been told we need to change the netbook to WEP but this doesn't seem to make it work.

We've had this problem before (a Kindle wouldn't connect) but the Wii and my laptop (after some fiddling) would connect.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it runs a troubleshooting utility but just says 'unable to connect' and doesn't seem to fix the problem. We've been told we need to change the netbook to WEP but this doesn't seem to make it work.

We've had this problem before (a Kindle wouldn't connect) but the Wii and my laptop (after some fiddling) would connect.
    Alright, let's try creating a profile to remember rather than trying to do it on the spot when it's available.

In Network and Sharing Centre, click Manage Wireless Networks on the left hand side. Click the Add button, then when the window opens, click Manually create a network profile. Enter the network name (the SSID), choose Wep from the Security Type list, then enter the key in the text field below. Tick automatically connect, then click OK (or Next or w.e.) button at the bottom.

Does this connect?

I do hate Windows and its lack of decent error messages sometimes.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:

Who told you that nonsense? WEP is the weakest form of network encryption, cracked literally in seconds, you may as well not have one.

ReputationRep:
    How old is your router? You may need to change this to a WPA at minimum (WPA2 is preferable).

ReputationRep:
    Our router isn't that old. It was WPA as far as I know but someone changed it (and my laptop) to WEP to make the Wii connect to the wireless network. I'll try the above and try and get the person who changed it to change it back next time they are here! Daren't change to WPA myself as I have no idea what they did to my laptop to make it work. Thanks for the help everyone who replied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    Who told you that nonsense? WEP is the weakest form of network encryption, cracked literally in seconds, you may as well not have one.
    Whilst true, and I agree that WPA would be better, WPA and WPA2 have both been cracked, so they're all as useless as each other now..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    Whilst true, and I agree that WPA would be better, WPA and WPA2 have both been cracked, so they're all as useless as each other now..
    The most recent attack to WPA/WPA2 only really applies to enterprise WPA/WPA2 and the attacker has to be able to connect to the wireless first. The only other attacks I'm aware of are effectively brute forcing the key. There are a few tricks to make that easier but it's still time consuming.

ReputationRep:
    What router do you have?
    Some of them require you to press a button on it to allow any new devices to connect.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 20, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.