Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I go through Adjustment? Any success stories? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I really messed up my AS levels last year and as a result am not predicted exactly fantastic grades (all my own fault, and I wouldn't dream of asking my teachers to predict me higher grades when the ones I am predicted are based on my performance and are quite fair).

Anyway, I'm doing some re-sits in Jan in an attempt to improve my grades.
    I'm re-sitting Ethics because I got an A in Philosophy and a D in Ethics (One mark off B altogether ), I'm doing Eng lit again (Got an A in coursework and a C in the exam [one mark off a B] which brought me to an overall B) and I'm resitting Maths (best not to mention that one :rolleyes:)

So, I think that I'll be able to get an A in ethics and hopefully an A in Eng Lit (I've been revising and am so much more confident now than I was back then) And I have a new Maths teacher who is brilliant, and have subscribed to LiveMaths (which is helping a lot).

I'm predicted BCD, and have applied to Uni's with similar entry requirements... but think I'll be able to get AAC. Do you recommend adjustment?

Anyone had success with the adjustment process? Can you explain the process please? Do I get to choose new Uni's or do I just resubmit my application with the new grades, and any random uni can make me an offer?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    :bump:

ReputationRep:
    Adjustment has a very low success rate - just under 11% of people who used Adjustment got a place through it in 2009. More of them didn't go to uni in 2009 than who adjusted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Adjustment has a very low success rate - just under 11% of people who used Adjustment got a place through it in 2009. More of them didn't go to uni in 2009 than who adjusted.
    That's upsetting ... I guess it's still worth a try though. If I got the grades, I normally would have no problem with reapplying next year, If only it wasn't for these god damn student fee increases.

Thanks for replying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam_G)
    That's upsetting ... I guess it's still worth a try though. If I got the grades, I normally would have no problem with reapplying next year, If only it wasn't for these god damn student fee increases.

Thanks for replying.
    Oh definitely, yes - someone has to be in the 11%. It's virtually risk-free as well, because you keep your now-unconditional offer whilst adjusting. Only thing you stand to lose is accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Oh definitely, yes - someone has to be in the 11%. It's virtually risk-free as well, because you keep your now-unconditional offer whilst adjusting. Only thing you stand to lose is accommodation.
    Well, I guess anything worth trying comes with risks attached ... do you mean that if i apply for Adjustment, my current unconditional uni would be notified?

Accommodation thing is scary though tbh... I wouldn't want to put myself at an instant social disadvantage. I'm panicking enough about friend recruiting already

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam_G)
    Well, I guess anything worth trying comes with risks attached ... do you mean that if i apply for Adjustment, my current unconditional uni would be notified?

Accommodation thing is scary though tbh... I wouldn't want to put myself at an instant social disadvantage. I'm panicking enough about friend recruiting already
    Hey, I tried it last year, and my firm uni weren't notified I would say though, don't expect to find places, and those that you might come across will go VERY quickly (especially for competitive subjects). I remember going on tonnes of different unis websites to find the same message: we have no places available in Adjustment/clearing this year :rolleyes: It's also worth noting that if you did manage to find a place getting accomodation is extremely unlikely, plus there's the likelihood that you wouldn't've visited the uni, so you might not like it.

e: just saw you wrote this
    Can you explain the process please? Do I get to choose new Uni's or do I just resubmit my application with the new grades, and any random uni can make me an offer?
    You don't resubmit your application (I assume you'd just give your personal ID to a uni that you were interested in), and it's up to you to find places at unis you might want to go to (there's no list, it's just a case of ringing/emailing unis/checking their websites)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vekeh)
    Hey, I tried it last year, and my firm uni weren't notified I would say though, don't expect to find places, and those that you might come across will go VERY quickly (especially for competitive subjects). I remember going on tonnes of different unis websites to find the same message: we have no places available in Adjustment/clearing this year :rolleyes: It's also worth noting that if you did manage to find a place getting accomodation is extremely unlikely, plus there's the likelihood that you wouldn't've visited the uni, so you might not like it.

e: just saw you wrote this

You don't resubmit your application (I assume you'd just give your personal ID to a uni that you were interested in), and it's up to you to find places at unis you might want to go to (there's no list, it's just a case of ringing/emailing unis/checking their websites)
    Thanks. I'm a bit unsure about it now ... The lack of accommodation is a scary prospect, and i'd hate to be essentially removed from everyone else as soon as I got there. I don't think I'll bother now, If I don't get an offer from my first choice then I'll just go to a lower choice Uni with higher grades I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vekeh)
    Hey, I tried it last year, and my firm uni weren't notified
    Your UF University is notified as soon as you register for Adjustment (if they check your record) - but they can't get upset about it; their offer of a UF is legally binding so it's yours if you want it, and Adjustment is a legitimate UCAS process.

It was very underused last year, but a number of Universities kept back places for Adjustment and Clearing for those with the highest grades. Your question as to whether or you should consider it is an easy one to answer: yes - if you get better grades and would like to be considered by what you feel is a better university, then why not? The worst that will happen is that you'll end up with your original choice, the best is that somewhere else offers you a place - which you wouldn't have to accept immediately until you've looked at accommodation (although you only get 5 days from the day you go UF to go through Adjustment).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.