Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Friends with benefits Watch

What's your opinion on FWB's?

Have you had one before or are you still currently in contact with one? If so, did you enjoy the experience or would you not go there again? If you have had a FWB before, was it hard to maintain just maintain a casual relationship with them and not feel anything more towards them? If you've never had a FWB, why or why not? And would you if you could? Would you rather have an FWB than a girlfriend/boyfriend?

ReputationRep:
    They get complicated as it progresses, s'all I'm saying.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience they usually either get really complicated or someone (if not both) gets attached. But if you can carry one on without these things happening I think they're very useful and fun things.

I've had two in my past - one ended up finishing badly when the guy got emotionally attached and it ended up with us falling out and it ruined our friendship. The second is now my long term boyfriend.

ReputationRep:
    I've had this with a couple of guys, and it works for me, but that's probably because I don't get emotionally attached very easily, and have a bit of a heart of stone!! Both of these guys have been really good friends for a long time (one 4 years and the other 6).

Also, it's never been a planned thing, it's always been spontaneous (eg a text at 10 o clock at night to say "are you around?"), and we've never had a discussion about what it is/isn't. I still hook up with both of them occassionally, and as they are both within my circle of friends I see them to go out with etc regularly.

I think whether it will work for you depends on the type of person you are, and you are probably the only one who knows how well you would handle it...

ReputationRep:
    im sure its great if both people are on the same wavelength. i cant say it really appeals to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Have you had one before or are you still currently in contact with one? If so, did you enjoy the experience or would you not go there again? If you have had a FWB before, was it hard to maintain just maintain a casual relationship with them and not feel anything more towards them? If you've never had a FWB, why or why not? And would you if you could? Would you rather have an FWB than a girlfriend/boyfriend?
    I have one at the moment, and it's working well - he lives two hours away and we both work full time, so anything more would be impractical.
    We were together about 5 years ago, but broke up because we didn't feel enough for each other, so this works well as we get on great and have good sex

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lynds81)
    I've had this with a couple of guys, and it works for me, but that's probably because I don't get emotionally attached very easily, and have a bit of a heart of stone!! Both of these guys have been really good friends for a long time (one 4 years and the other 6).

Also, it's never been a planned thing, it's always been spontaneous (eg a text at 10 o clock at night to say "are you around?"), and we've never had a discussion about what it is/isn't. I still hook up with both of them occassionally, and as they are both within my circle of friends I see them to go out with etc regularly.

I think whether it will work for you depends on the type of person you are, and you are probably the only one who knows how well you would handle it...
    me in a nutshell

ReputationRep:
    As long as you don't care each other. Then fine.

ReputationRep:
    my favourite type of friend.

ReputationRep:

Have had a couple before, and I think for me it was far superior to having lots of one night stands. It was good to be able to have regular sex with someone whose company I enjoyed but at a time I couldn't commit to a full relationship.

One developed into a longstanding very happy relationship, and I found it very easy not to develop feelings if I didn't want them to.

I would always prefer to be in a relationship, but a relationship isn't always practical.

ReputationRep:

well, FWB doesn't stay friends long, their feelings for each other grows or becomes more awkward. friends with benefits are good for a short while

ReputationRep:
    It gets messy in the long term. Works for some but there needs to be emotional detatchment

ReputationRep:

Had one about 3 years ago. It was fun, but because it had developed from him having feelings for me (I didn't know this at the time) and we saw each other all the time it quickly escalated and we ended up getting together. It was a fairly good relationship though so no regrets.

Recently I made a new fwb. It's much easier to keep casual this time as I never see him until we decide to meet and we barely keep in touch/ try to befriend each other. I try not to learn too much about him but from the little I do know I'm pretty sure we'd never work out anyway so that helps to keeps emotions at bay too.

Imo, fwb are something that happens when the people involved want to stay single - for whatever reason; not ready for a new relationship; don't want commitment or dependency etc - but have a similar need, and are capable of emotionally detached sex. For it to work both people have to be on the same wavelength and want the same thing. But I honestly don't think you can ever be sure that it won't get complicated, so you have to be ready to deal with whatever happens.

ReputationRep:
    I've not had one. I wouldn't really mind if I had one or not tbh.

ReputationRep:

Yes I have had a few. If I were single I would definitely go there again. I’m married now so the other questions do not apply.

I believe they can be great if both partners have more than one. If either of you are the only fwb that your friend has then you run the risk of them becoming emotional attached to you or they are having ons regularly and both would cause me some concern. Those with two or more have less chance of being devastated should one of their friends break it off if/when they become emotionally involved with someone else.

I think the whole purpose of fwb is to have someone to spend time together as friends knowing they will meet your physical needs with nsa until either of you find the right mate to become romantically involved with, and when that occurs, the other one has to be able to give them a hug and wish them well.

ReputationRep:
    Does not work. Every girl that has suggested this to me actually wanted a relationship but was too scared to ask or we decided not to. Besides without feelings the benefits are limited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markrush)
    Does not work. Every girl that has suggested this to me actually wanted a relationship but was too scared to ask or we decided not to. Besides without feelings the benefits are limited.
    In what way?

I know a few people who have remained emotionally detached from a fwb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    In what way?

I know a few people who have remained emotionally detached from a fwb.
    It can happen. Often you will find out afterwards that at least one of them is more invested than the other.

ReputationRep:
    Had 3. All were girls I've known for about 6 years before hand, most lasted about half a year. All are still close friends now, neither of us got emotionally involved. Boomting.

ReputationRep:
    I've had two. One was my ex boyfriend and I was still too emotionally attached so that didn't work out. One was my brother's friend, but we both ended that because it was harsh on my brother. We're still friends.
    FWB is good at first but then it invariably gets complicated.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 24, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.