Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 20-year old female, and for the last few months I've been getting painful lumps in my armpits - they're not very big and disappear in a few days. But as soon as one goes another appears...:s I only use natural deodorant and haven't been ill or anything - I'm seeing my doctor for something else in jan, but should I see him before? Any advice would be helpful

ReputationRep:
    I would. It could be nothing but once again it could be AIDS. Try to go to walk in centre in the weekend or book yourself in monday at the GP.

ReputationRep:
    you have lymphoma

ReputationRep:
    Any lumps should always be checked over. Don't worry though, they often appear and have no harmful effect, but it's better to get checked to put your mind at rest

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely worth mentioning to your GP. It might be to do with shaving - I have often had lumps because of an ingrown hair and can be quite painful.

It's always worth getting it checked out if you're worried though.

ReputationRep:
    if they keep coming back and going away they dont sound like "AIDS" or "Lymphoma" - specially if you're well otherwise.
    One lump and that keeps getting bigger, or even a few lumps which dont go away might be concerning

mention to gp.

ReputationRep:
    :doctor:

ReputationRep:
    For me, swollen lymph nodes indicated an autoimmune disease. I first got them checked out when I was 16, wasn't diagnosed till I was 22. It's worth getting checked out and being persistant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    if they keep coming back and going away they dont sound like "AIDS" or "Lymphoma" - specially if you're well otherwise.
    One lump and that keeps getting bigger, or even a few lumps which dont go away might be concerning

mention to gp.
    :ditto:

But this does not seem walk-in centre appropriate even if that might be more convenient for you in the short term... It's not a super acute problem & if it is anything then knowing you/your past medical history and following you up would be important and better by your GP. Most GPs now save slots for on the day appointments to improve their accessibility.
    & please don't just 'mention' it when you go for something else... 1 appointment = deal with 1 problem properly!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies everyone I'm going away next week, so I'm going to book an appointment for when I come back.
    (Original post by Magnanimity)
    For me, swollen lymph nodes indicated an autoimmune disease. I first got them checked out when I was 16, wasn't diagnosed till I was 22. It's worth getting checked out and being persistant.
    I've also recently developed a lot of allergies, could that mean an autoimmune disease? I had a blood test a few weeks ago but it came back normal apart from my white blood cell count, which was below normal...:s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *~anna~*)
    Thanks for the replies everyone I'm going away next week, so I'm going to book an appointment for when I come back.

I've also recently developed a lot of allergies, could that mean an autoimmune disease? I had a blood test a few weeks ago but it came back normal apart from my white blood cell count, which was below normal...:s
    Why don't you see a doctor?

Posting here will invariably result in someone who thinks they are House reply with something that will only worry you

I'm a 20-year old female, and for the last few months I've been getting painful lumps in my armpits - they're not very big and disappear in a few days. But as soon as one goes another appears...:s I only use natural deodorant and haven't been ill or anything - I'm seeing my doctor for something else in jan, but should I see him before? Any advice would be helpful
    If it's lymph nodes, don't worry. Them swelling and going down is perfectly natural. I got them on my neck a while ago, and have had ganglions elsewhere too.

ReputationRep:

I'm not sure. I personally don't have any allergies but I have sjogren's syndrome and potentially autoimmune hepatitis (not that kind of hepatitis lol)

At first my bloods were normal, then they came back with ESR up, WBCs, globulins, LFTs and I had other abnormal results like rheumatoid factor, Anti-Ro, Anti-La, ANA, creatinine etc. Most recently my haemoglobin dipped seriously low along with haemocrit etc.

My point being it started off fairly inocuous and has grown arms and legs. When my lymph nodes went up I felt 100% well. I'm not trying to scare you btw, just telling you what happened with me

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure. I personally don't have any allergies but I have sjogren's syndrome and potentially autoimmune hepatitis (not that kind of hepatitis lol)

At first my bloods were normal, then they came back with ESR up, WBCs, globulins, LFTs and I had other abnormal results like rheumatoid factor, Anti-Ro, Anti-La, ANA, creatinine etc. Most recently my haemoglobin dipped seriously low along with haemocrit etc.

My point being it started off fairly inocuous and has grown arms and legs. When my lymph nodes went up I felt 100% well. I'm not trying to scare you btw, just telling you what happened with me
    Thanks for the info, I'll ask my doctor about auto-immune disorders when I see him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bloody_student)
    Why don't you see a doctor?

Posting here will invariably result in someone who thinks they are House reply with something that will only worry you
    I am going to The blood test was for something else, it hadn't occurred to me that the lumps might have anything to do with it - kind of got used to getting them now, so didn't think of mentioning it to him back then...

ReputationRep:
    I had this when I was 7 but it was on my neck. Just went to the doctor he sent be to hospital. They kept me in hospital for three days on antibiotics through the vein and they went down. I had like eight lumps on my neck lol. Anyway its not anything scary i guess but do get it checked out.

wtf is this about lymphoma and HIV, you guys are scaring me. I am not the OP, but I have the same problem and have had this for years now. My doctor told me that some people are just more susceptible and that it could be stress.

oops sorry mine are in my neck.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't mind, what kind of autoimmune disease do you have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    wtf is this about lymphoma and HIV, you guys are scaring me. I am not the OP, but I have the same problem and have had this for years now. My doctor told me that some people are just more susceptible and that it could be stress.
    Lymphoma presents with swollen lymph nodes (the clue is in the name) - they can be anywhere in the body, although the neck is common. But if your nodes vary in size and are not there all the time, then it's not lymphoma. HIV can present this way but it would be rare for that to be the only symptom. So I would put those two fairly low down on the list of possibilities!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.