Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

RIP Captain Beefheart. Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://pitchfork.com/news/41062-rip-captain-beefheart/

ReputationRep:
    Just saw this. Sad news :-( He was a genius.

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow. :sad:

RIP, and may experimental majik bands live on forever in his honour!

ReputationRep:
    I know he pulled out of the music business years ago, but he was always an amazing guy. Hard to work with, but check out any videos of him to see what I mean. Damn shame to see him go, RIP.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe this RIP to the Don. What a genius.

ReputationRep:
    Farewell. I loved you, you big dummy.

ReputationRep:
    a true original - to coin a cliche.

ReputationRep:
    Actually distraught about this

ReputationRep:
    Aww RIP.

ReputationRep:
    Heard his on the radio last night, confirmed this morning. From folk I've been speaking to it seems the general mark of his talent that nobody can really offer any sort of platitude about his death, the way we might if Madonna died, people are genuinely offended by his passing; we all wanted to him to live forever in his trailer in the Atacama or wherever, painting crows and writing operas in the sand. What can be said? He was fast and bulbous and oughtn't be dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by no chance)
    Heard his on the radio last night, confirmed this morning. From folk I've been speaking to it seems the general mark of his talent that nobody can really offer any sort of platitude about his death, the way we might if Madonna died, people are genuinely offended by his passing; we all wanted to him to live forever in his trailer in the Atacama or wherever, painting crows and writing operas in the sand. What can be said? He was fast and bulbous and oughtn't be dead.

I wanted to pos this but have rated too many users today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    I wanted to pos this but have rated too many users today
    No need to frown, mate, the thought that the sentiment is shared is worth more than a pixel change. (P.S. Ask the Dust is an excellent novel, if I hadn't rated too many users myself then that would have been worth a pos in return. In fact, I can do it via your profile - though I ban you from returning the favour .)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by no chance)
    No need to frown, mate, the thought that the sentiment is shared is worth more than a pixel change. (P.S. Ask the Dust is an excellent novel, if I hadn't rated too many users myself then that would have been worth a pos in return. In fact, I can do it via your profile - though I ban you from returning the favour .)
    :yy:

ReputationRep:
    I tried to join up as Arturo Bandini at first and the username was taken because of you.

ReputationRep:
    A shame, he made some amazing music. RIP Don Van Vliet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    I tried to join up as Arturo Bandini at first and the username was taken because of you.
    ****, I love John Fante too. Must be a correlation between that and being a Beefheart fan!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)

Ahaha! Sorry pal!

Anyway yeah, I'm guessing most real Beefheart fans have at least checked out Fante/Bukowski/Henry Miller/Tom Waits/Zappa etc.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm gonna come back tomorrow and pos everyone in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Ahaha! Sorry pal!

Anyway yeah, I'm guessing most real Beefheart fans have at least checked out Fante/Bukowski/Henry Miller/Tom Waits/Zappa etc.
    Discovered Bukowski and Beefheart through Tom Waits and Fante through Bukowski. It's cool how all the good things in life are linked together very closely.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not much of a Bukowski fan, to be honest. I'll give him another chance some day but he's not my bag, I suspect. Tom Waits avatar, though.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.