Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Complaint?? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    After about four months of being messed about by student finance and then phoning last week and being told that my grant should have been processed but 'for some reason' hadn't been, I snapped and sent a complaint email.

Today I called again to check on how things were going (fearing the worst as usual) and I was told that because I sent a complaint, the whole application had been sent over to the complaints team and I would have to wait up to another two weeks! Has anyone else been told this at any time?

It's so ridiculous because the reason I complained was because it was taking so long... and now its taking even longer because of the complaint! Obviously I should have waited until after it was all done to make the complaint but I didn't realise it would have that affect. Argh, what a joke.

I'd really like to know if anyone else has sent a complaint and if that affected the processing of their application. I'm so annoyed! And poor!

ReputationRep:
    Is Joseph Heller in charge of SFE?

ReputationRep:
    I made a complaint, recieved an email back within less than a week and had all my grants and stuff sorted within a month, most of which was a delay my end cos it took me about 2 weeks to photocopy something. They'll say 2 weeks but it might be sooner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Is Joseph Heller in charge of SFE?
    haha, seems that way

Still no luck! I phoned yesterday, and got told that they got my complaint on the 14th, but I have to wait up to 15 days until I hear anything. But yesterday was 15 days since the 14th. And why 15 days? What a weird amount of time. I'm so poor.

ReputationRep:
    The hell? That doesn't sound right, my dad must have sent about 6 different letters of complaint but nothing about a complaint team was mentioned. All I can suggest is ringing them, know it's a hassle but just annoy the crap out of them when you ring them. Ask for as much info as possible. I eventually got my grant end of nov they added an extra £100 on top of my loan too

ReputationRep:
    Really! How weird, that's twice now I've been told that "the complaints team are looking at it". I guess I'll ring again tomorrow. It's just so frustrating when I'm sure that they are just saying any old thing to get me off the phone thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin6767)
    Student finance are morons. When I first applied I was told 6 weeks max before it was all sorted. 8 months later they lost 3 sets of my parents financial evidence and indentification documents. After waiting so long I had to defer a year at uni because the money wasn't sorted and the uni wouldn't let me start without the tuition fee money coming to them. Long story short I ended up withdrawing from that uni and am now reapplying but I have now been told because I have been assessed for one course I may not qualify for student funding!!! I have demanded to speak to a manager, have my MP involved and student funding people from the uni I withdrew from helping me. For some reason just before xmas they were paid tuition fees and I was sent £5,000 in student loans and I have had to get them to take it back ( I was charged £1.50 for doing so) and now they keep sending me information telling me I will be fined if I don't give them information about where I work so they can starting taking money I don't owe in repayments. So consider yourself lucky you don't have my problems with the incompetent fools. THESE PEOPLE TOOK £32 MILLION IN BONUSES LAST YEAR!!!!! Incompetence pays. Sorry for the rant.
    Christ that sounds like a right nightmare
    Hope you get it sorted!

ReputationRep:
    I threatened to go to glasgow and occupy their office :P I have no idea what I will do if they don't get it sorted, no way can I afford uni without the tuition fee and maintainance loan and the grant money. Constant calling and moaning at a manager makes me feel better if nothing else.
    Haha brilliant! I always found it really difficult to get angry at the call centre people, they sound so nice and I know it's not their fault
    The people in head office however felt my wrath many a time

Whats the latest they're saying at the mo then?

ReputationRep:
    ....So consider yourself lucky you don't have my problems with the incompetent fools. THESE PEOPLE TOOK £32 MILLION IN BONUSES LAST YEAR!!!!! Incompetence pays. Sorry for the rant.
    Christ that is awful and I really feel awful for you. Sometimes I feel like they are just passing my application around the office, people are looking at it and seeing that it looks a bit complicated, and shoving it onto the next person, rinse and repeat! As if the manager said she didnt want to take your call, how bloody irresponsible. I hope it gets sorted out soon, although I know how it feels to lose all hope

All will perish in the destruction if I do end up going to occupy their offices though :P

give them a kick from me when you get there

ReputationRep:
    I find it really hard to angry at them too, I end up constantly apologising and saying I don't you mean I mean the company. The last time I rang was just before christmas and I over heard the manager say she didn't want to take my call - _ - So I said I know she is there I can hear her :P The time before that I phone and she was at lunch and they told me she would be 30 minutes. I called back twice and she was still "at lunch" so I said fine I will ring back every half an hour until she speaks to me. After a 4 hour "lunch" I had I really can't tell you anymore until the tier one assessors have looked at your claim. Before this they claimed not to have received the letters from me or the student funding people at my former uni which were sent recorded post It depresses me sometimes. All will perish in the destruction if I do end up going to occupy their offices though :P
    Aha maybe the 4 hour lunch breaks are what takes them so long to do... well anything :P Just let me know when the occupation happens and I'll attend armed with silly string and reading glasses (Coz they obviously need them!)

Also what's with the neg rep? There are sfe people watching the boards... :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    Student finance are morons. When I first applied I was told 6 weeks max before it was all sorted. 8 months later they lost 3 sets of my parents financial evidence and indentification documents. After waiting so long I had to defer a year at uni because the money wasn't sorted and the uni wouldn't let me start without the tuition fee money coming to them. Long story short I ended up withdrawing from that uni and am now reapplying but I have now been told because I have been assessed for one course I may not qualify for student funding!!! I have demanded to speak to a manager, have my MP involved and student funding people from the uni I withdrew from helping me. For some reason just before xmas they were paid tuition fees and I was sent £5,000 in student loans and I have had to get them to take it back ( I was charged £1.50 for doing so) and now they keep sending me information telling me I will be fined if I don't give them information about where I work so they can starting taking money I don't owe in repayments. So consider yourself lucky you don't have my problems with the incompetent fools. THESE PEOPLE TOOK £32 MILLION IN BONUSES LAST YEAR!!!!! Incompetence pays. Sorry for the rant.
    So when exactly did you apply, bearing in mind that applications were available from the 17th December 2009.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, firstly it's not possible to transfer it all over from the old application. The loan requires a new agreement to be signed for each academic year, and the grants are both assessed on different tax years, so it's just not doable.

I assume you sent a letter stating you had deferred entry at the time for this, and not just left it as it was. Having test-cased the system at various times, I cannot really agree with your dates. To apply on the 3rd and hear on the 8th doesn't add up. Did they telephone asking for this additional information, or did they write?

ReputationRep:
    Please quote me or pm because I wont always go back to a page. Sorry I was using my external pad, it was meant to be the 18th (keys are sticky). My college told me I needed to send in financial evidence if I was being means tested and I called them and they said you can send it into us now. I am well aware, after my own research and experiences, that the loans require a new agreement to be signed for each academic year, and the grants are both assessed on different tax years. I never said all the information was carried over from the old application, the woman in the call centre told me it was the same course at the same uni so I just needed to reapply and the vast majority of the information would be carried over. An advantage on doing it online.
    Yes I sent change of circumstances forms for both of the applications. Both by recorded delivery and student finance denied receiving either of them until I said I have the recorded delivery number in front of me. I sent the first one in October 09 with a complaint letter detailing I had had to defer because the application hadn't been processed in time. This was the year SFE made headlines with delays. Then second time I had to send it was in late October this year when I faxed it through to a manager while she was on the phone with me to make sure they had received it. My Doctors letter and my letter asking for full funding to be reinstated were also faxed through, sent by recorded post and the student funding advisor at the university emailed them through to the tier one advisors to help me. 1 of the 3 copies will hopefully get through. I have kept a record of who I have spoken to, when I spoke to them and what was covered ever since they lost the first set of financial evidence and documents proving who I am.
    It does state on the forms what financial information needs to be sent. Even if you didn't send it all, you would've been offered a non-income assessed amount until such time as you had. This includes your fees, so that shouldn't have been a reason.

The only reason they would not have even assessed you for that is if they'd required more information to determine your eligibility, such as passport details. If you applied in February and this was all that was required, why were you not chasing this up a lot sooner?

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused by nothing. I know exactly how it works, and quite frankly I'd be worried if I didn't.

If they claimed for months that the information was not received, why were you at that stage not stage stating it had and providing them with tracker numbers? They were behind, but they were never several months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taiko)
    I'm confused by nothing. I know exactly how it works, and quite frankly I'd be worried if I didn't.

If they claimed for months that the information was not received, why were you at that stage not stage stating it had and providing them with tracker numbers? They were behind, but they were never several months.
    Taiko, as you seem to know a lot about it, do you mind if I ask whether my situation is typical for someone who has complained? I still haven't heard back from anyone, despite being told more than once that my entire application was with 'the complaints department'. Is it at the bottom of the pile again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bunnyhug)
    Taiko, as you seem to know a lot about it, do you mind if I ask whether my situation is typical for someone who has complained? I still haven't heard back from anyone, despite being told more than once that my entire application was with 'the complaints department'. Is it at the bottom of the pile again?
    I spent the best part of 5 years at a local authority processing, and I have to say it's not what we would have done. I cannot speak for SFE on that, but it does seem an odd thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taiko)
    I spent the best part of 5 years at a local authority processing, and I have to say it's not what we would have done. I cannot speak for SFE on that, but it does seem an odd thing to do.
    Oh dear. I think another phone call is in order, then! Thanks for the reply.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.