Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it harder to apply for a uni outside of london than in? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Im from London, and im hoping to study history of art and english.

Is it harder to get into a university outside of London? I don't want to stay in London.

ReputationRep:
    I feel it should be easier, given the ur not going for Oxbridge, Edinburgh and other top-class unis.

However, it too depends on the course ur applying for..

ReputationRep:
    It's generally harder to get offers at london universities so you should have an easier time if you're looking to move out from london.

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing not, if you have the grades then go for it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Er, I'm pretty sure Oxford and Cambridge are outside of London...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yahyahyahs)
    Er, I'm pretty sure Oxford and Cambridge are outside of London...
    You don't really know the UK very well then, do you? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Generally speaking, it's no easier or harder to apply outside London- LSE, Imperial and UCL are all highly competitive universities but so are Bristol, Durham, Warwick etc.
    Having said that, LSE is probably the most difficult uni to get into in the country cos the applicants per place ratio is so high, they offer no interviews and half the students are foreign so less places filled by British students.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    You don't really know the UK very well then, do you? :rolleyes:
    Nope, 17 years and I can't even walk to the newsagents without getting lost.

I was just making the point that the two best and most prestigious universities are not in London.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, 17 years and I can't even walk to the newsagents without getting lost.

I was just making the point that the two best and most prestigious universities are not in London.
    What are you talking about?

Surely everyone knows that Oxford is right on the edges of Greater London, and the Thames runs through Cambridge - what do you think that big river in the pictures of Kings College is?

ReputationRep:

Oxford is right on the edges of Greater London
    The London Underground used to get to within 16 miles of Oxford!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:

Surely everyone knows that Oxford is right on the edges of Greater London, and the Thames runs through Cambridge - what do you think that big river in the pictures of Kings College is?

The OP is asking is it harder to get into a uni inside rather than outside of London. Like you just said, Oxford is OUTSIDE of London and is as hard to get into because it is one of the so-called Golden Triangle/Quadrangle of unis (Oxbridge, LSE, UCL). Also, that river you see in all the pictures is the River Cam. How do I know this for sure? I went punting in the summer.

You just got, how they say, pwned. Do your research before making some lame argument, yah?

ReputationRep:

The OP is asking is it harder to get into a uni inside rather than outside of London. Like you just said, Oxford is OUTSIDE of London and is as hard to get into because it is one of the so-called Golden Triangle/Quadrangle of unis (Oxbridge, LSE, UCL). Also, that river you see in all the pictures is the River Cam. How do I know this for sure? I went punting in the summer.

You just got, how they say, pwned. Do your research before making some lame argument, yah?
    What the earlier guy said is that, it's generally easier to get in to Unis that are outside of London, with the exception of Oxbridge and other non-london elite uni's.

ReputationRep:
    Ive always pictured unis in London to be more competitive however this is not always the case, for example Bristol seems to have a ridiculous number of applicants to places ratio for a majority of subjects!

ReputationRep:

I think thesownrose was being sarcastic

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.