Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I block internet access during lectures? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of bringing in my laptop next semester because I think I will find it easier to take notes.

Anyway - I want to know therefore, if there is a way I can stop internet access (i.e. wirelessly) so I don't become distracted easily during lectures etc.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCP11OC)
    I was thinking of bringing in my laptop next semester because I think I will find it easier to take notes.

Anyway - I want to know therefore, if there is a way I can stop internet access (i.e. wirelessly) so I don't become distracted easily during lectures etc.

Thanks.
    do you have switch you switch of your internet?

Why did i get Neg , Thanks for the pos rep only was trying to give easy solution compared to everyone else ideas :/

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
    Open your laptop up and disconnect the wireless module. -> The only way unless you practise self discipline.
    Otherwise, no,- only in ways in which you can easily activate it again.

Software does exist which you can use, but you can just as easily disable those.

Just have some self-restraint.

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
    Click the wireless icon in your taskbar, then click the Disconnect button next to the connected network.

Surely you can go through lectrues without feeling the need to browse the Internet, or you could take notes, then browse the net in betwen?

ReputationRep:
    Make your laptop use a dongle only for connecting to the internet, then leave the dongle in a locker or something.

ReputationRep:
    Just select to disconnect, though surely you can control yourself. :s:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    Click the wireless icon in your taskbar, then click the Disconnect button next to the connected network.

Surely you can go through lectrues without feeling the need to browse the Internet, or you could take notes, then browse the net in betwen?

I thought he wanted to block access, anything he does will require just as much discipline as doing nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super.teve)
    He wants to BLOCK access,

See the answers from "Computer Science" students makes me wanna kill myself.
    Just think i should say "stop internet access" their is difference between stop and block

ReputationRep:
    He wants to BLOCK access,

See the answers from "Computer Science" students makes me wanna kill myself.
    Wow, you sound like a ****. How about being civilised about things?

The OP mentions blocking Internet access, and if you disconnect from the Internet, then you're blocked from accessing it. I can only assume that your argument against this is that to get access again, all you do is re-connect. If so, the same argument can be applied to any solution which anybody can come up with here, because anything you do to your computer, bar smashing it to pieces or double-zeroing the disk, can be reversed.

Ejit.

ReputationRep:
    Pen and paper. laptop is just a waste for note taking. and 9/10 use P&P..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by power and panache)
    Pen and paper. laptop is just a waste for note taking. and 9/10 use P&P..
    I second this actually OP. If you don't take your laptop in, or don't use it for note-taking, then you can't really be tempted to browse the net. Even so, I do note-taking for things like maths and diagrams on paper simply because it's easier and probably takes up less space.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    Wow, you sound like a ****. How about being civilised about things?

The OP mentions blocking Internet access, and if you disconnect from the Internet, then you're blocked from accessing it. I can only assume that your argument against this is that to get access again, all you do is re-connect. If so, the same argument can be applied to any solution which anybody can come up with here, because anything you do to your computer, bar smashing it to pieces or double-zeroing the disk, can be reversed.

Ejit.
    Well he could open the laptop and disconnect the wireless module, he wouldn't be able to reconnect during a lecture.

I was just saying how he has two options;
    Go to that level of idiocy
    or
    Get some self restraint.

Any solutions would still need him to have some discipline...
    *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    Just disconnect from the network. It's not ****ing hard, any measure you can implement (apart from not taking a laptop at all) can be easily circumvented. It's down to you in the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy Paving)
    Just select to disconnect, though surely you can control yourself. :s:
    Natural Log Cabin! YES! It's taken me nearly a whole freakin' year to get that!

ReputationRep:
    Well he could open the laptop and disconnect the wireless module, he wouldn't be able to reconnect during a lecture.

I was just saying how he has two options;
    Go to that level of idiocy
    or
    Get some self restraint.

Any solutions would still need him to have some discipline...
    *sigh*
    There's nothing in a laptop called a "wireless module", you sound like a complete tit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by in_jeopardy)
    There's nothing in a laptop called a "wireless module".
    As it happens, there is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by in_jeopardy)
    There's nothing in a laptop called a "wireless module", you sound like a complete tit.
    ERM, YES THERE IS LMAO.
    Joke's on you.

Wireless module/card/goat/Prince Philip's ****... whatever. You might find it's connected to the motherboard via a little cable which can be disconnected as wireless cards can be swappable in laptops depending on the model in particular. Unfortunately, Microsoft haven't pushed out a patch for the Self Restraint mechanism in quite a few years now.

You could write a custom HOSTS file to send all your browser requests to a locally running webserver, with a default front page saying "PAY ATTENTION, YOU LAZY ****".

ReputationRep:
      Commercial opportunity beckons...

Can't see why you'd take a laptop into lectures either - the ~5% that do make themselves look like they've special needs imo.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Joinedup)
      Commercial opportunity beckons...

Can't see why you'd take a laptop into lectures either - the ~5% that do make themselves look like they've special needs imo.
      Most people do though don't they?
      I can imagine that a lot who do, take them not out of choice, but because they need too.
      Around 10 people at my college take notes on laptops, because they can't write for ****

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.