Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

So as you may or may not know, a new range of Apple Mac computers are being released in the first half of 2011. This will probably mean that the MacBook Pro will not only have the new OS X Lion, but MacBook Pro laptops may also have better processors (although this hasn't been confirmed).

The reason I am refering to the MacBook Pro range in particular is because I'm interested in getting the cheapest 13" model. This laptop currently has the following specs:

13-inch: 2.4GHz
    Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB Memory
    250GB hard drive
    SD card slot
    Built-in battery (10 hours)
    NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics

So, I was wondering, if I should wait for the new model, or if I should just get this model? My primary use of the computer would probably be work, although I would also use it for facebooking, skyping etc. I do also play games, but in no way am I a hardcore gamer; the sort of games I'd be playing are World of Warcraft, Starcraft 2, Battlefield 2142 and Medieval 2 Total War.

Will this current version be suitable to play these games comfortably? Or should I wait and see if they install better processors in the 13" MacBook Pro computers (though hey might not).

Any advice would be fantastic

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramjams)
    Any advice would be fantastic
    Hey, check out macrumours.com and it will let you know where abouts in the cycle the Macbook Pro is - there will probably be updates quite soon - but double check the website! always worth the wait if they are due soon!

ReputationRep:
    The problem with waiting is that we have no idea when the update actually is. It could be next month, it could be not until April.
    There's no reason why the current 13" MBP won't handle what you want to do, so I guess its just upto you.
    I'm getting one for xmas (half paid for by myself) and I'm totally happy with getting one with the update just around the corner

ReputationRep:
    April / May would be the usual update of the MacBook pros.

June/July is the iPhone 4 (S) ? Supposedly.

WoW should be okay on them. Mac OSX handles applications individually and allocate only the necessary memory needed to run. Thus making it more efficient.

Them games you should be okay to play with. Although like myself, I am waiting for the new updates for my next purchase.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeeyMon)
    April / May would be the usual update of the MacBook pros.
    Actually, there has never been a regular update cycle for any of the macbooks.
    Although personally, I do feel that Apple will start to move to a regular cycle of them, and this update probably will be in April (to make it a 12 month cycle).

ReputationRep:
    Check out apple's refurbished site.
    you can get some mean deals on there!
    for example last year before christmas and when we had reduced VAT my Macbook Pro worth £1200 I got for £749 on the refurbished site.
    The only difference between refurbished and brand new is you don't get the box. I had no scratches or bumps on mine and i haven't had a problem yet.
    they're usually just laptops people have sent back because they don't want them.

ReputationRep:
    As an aside to the above post on refurbished ones, if you are at uni (or close to going to uni as the OP seems to be) then it is worth looking at the educational store. Most unis get 15% off. (so a 13" MBP will be £850).

ReputationRep:
    I don't expect them till April personally. It's probably worth the wait now though as it's most likely a major refresh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Actually, there has never been a regular update cycle for any of the macbooks.
    Although personally, I do feel that Apple will start to move to a regular cycle of them, and this update probably will be in April (to make it a 12 month cycle).
    I work for Apple Retail...and we usually get told roughly expect news around that time really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeeyMon)
    I work for Apple Retail...and we usually get told roughly expect news around that time really.
    My point still stands, there has never been a regular cycle for the MBP.
    Look at the recent releases - http://guides.macrumors.com/MacBook_Pro_Buyer%27s_Guide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    My point still stands, there has never been a regular cycle for the MBP.
    Look at the recent releases - http://guides.macrumors.com/MacBook_Pro_Buyer%27s_Guide
    I agree with what your saying. I'm just saying the date I said is a generalisation of when something will happen or has happened and the training we get for it.

ReputationRep:
    the new macbooks won't have anything that you will notice - the only thing that it would have that you would notice is if they changed their design and i don't see that happening soon

ReputationRep:
    It can handle the games fine. The problem is that if you're looking for gaming, a mac isn't really the best choice. I'd check to see if those games have mac ports before you splash out.

ReputationRep:
    Check out apple's refurbished site.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhys_please)
    It can handle the games fine. The problem is that if you're looking for gaming, a mac isn't really the best choice. I'd check to see if those games have mac ports before you splash out.
    Why?
    You can easily install windows, and boot into that for any gaming you want to do.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 20, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.