Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Changing from Grammar to State school part way through AS Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    closed

ReputationRep:
    hmm

ReputationRep:
    Facing the concept of being "average" is something you're going to have to cope with - especially if you're going to apply to Oxbridge after your A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    Go for it.
    u could spend 3 hours each day doing something more productive,
    If I were u and u were me - U would be in the state school,
    + at the end of the day its up to you to achieve the best grades possible
    and minimize the effect of your environment as much needed

ReputationRep:
    Mr Inquisitive, that hasn't really answered my question... but yeah I know.

And to the above, thanks for your input... I like the perspective on the environment haha

Jack

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack Dolan)
    [Background] I finished my GCSE's in May of this year at one of my local schools, I loved every minute, got Head Boy, got 11 A*'s in my GCSE's, and was generally friends with everyone

Anyway we didn't have a sixth form so...

I began my AS's this September at a grammar school which is about 20 miles away, which means I have 3 hours on the bus each day, and I leave for school at 7.15 and get back at 5.40.

It's all boys and it's strict and I don't feel I stand out much, also I only have a couple of friends who have come to the grammar school with me, although I've made a fair few friends and feel settled in. The boys there are very different to my old friends though, not really very socially active :/.

I am thinking of changing to a local sixth form after xmas and studying the same 5 A-levels there, but will on the upside have much shorter days and be with my friends.

But I'm not 100% decided, do you think this is a wide decision? Would I regret it?

If anyone has been in a similar situation or feels they could offer me their general advice or thoughts that would be very greatly appreciated.

This is a conundrum.

Thanks so much,

Jack
    If you feel you'd not suffer bad grades by moving, I don't see the harm. By the way, I wouldn't determine that on teaching skill. At least not solely. You should take a look and see how disciplined you think you are personally.

ReputationRep:
    A big factor is the standard of the state school. I've been to two different state colleges; one was atrocious, and if the year actually mattered to me (doing a 3rd year to kinda keep myself busy and learn abit more before Uni), spending that long on travel and having to sacriface spending as much time with old friends etc, would very likely have to have been necessary. The other was was fantastic, a very, very high standard of teaching (and given the level of independence needed at A Level, there was probabaly not much in it between it's grammer and prviate school counterparts in the city).

If the standard of teaching is pretty much equal, or the gap is inconsequential, then I'd very much consider going to the state one. Academically speaking (putting the social aspects to one side for a second), spending 3 hours on the bus each day can seems counter productive. Having said, it is only early days, and this grammar school, socially, might get better. In my first year of college I was pretty much on my own for a good 2/3 months, and then I made a really good set a friends that turned the whole two years into one of the best experiences I've had, and them being quite clever and motivated, motivated me to do better. 3 years on and I'm still friends with them now. On top of that, moving to a different college is going to be a transition, and you're probably more settled then you think. Adjusting might be a little difficult. And, change can be a good thing tbh, despite initially it not presenting itself very well. As said, my first few months of college weren't amazing, and in honesty, neither have Uni been, but college turned out to be fantastic, and Uni is very much beginning to now.

Having said all of that though, I personally think if the standard of teaching is on par, 3 hours of travel a day seems to be counter productive and should be a considerable factor. Whatever you decide, you can't avoid it being something of a gamble though, so you're just gonna have to bite the bullet and make a decision

ReputationRep:
    [Background] I finished my GCSE's in May of this year at one of my local schools, I loved every minute, got Head Boy, got 11 A*'s in my GCSE's, and was generally friends with everyone

I began my AS's this September at a grammar school which is about 20 miles away, which means I have 3 hours on the bus each day, and I leave for school at 7.15 and get back at 5.40.

It's all boys and it's strict and I don't feel I stand out much, also I only have a couple of friends who have come to the grammar school with me, although I've made a fair few friends and feel settled in. The boys there are very different to my old friends though, not really very socially active :/.

I am thinking of changing to a local sixth form after xmas and studying the same 5 A-levels there, but will on the upside have much shorter days and be with my friends.

But I'm not 100% decided, do you think this is a wide decision? Would I regret it?

If anyone has been in a similar situation or feels they could offer me their general advice or thoughts that would be very greatly appreciated.

This is a conundrum.

Thanks so much,

Jack
    Wouldn't there be the complication of exam entries if you change schools? (assuming you will be taking exams in January)

However, you can still be entered, its just that there will be an extra late fee which could run to alot considering you're doing 5 subjects.

Theres also the issue of exam boards. Chances are that the school you want to transfer to are not with the same exam boards for your subjects as the school you're in right now.

Bear in mind that there have been people who changed sixth form or college during their two years of A-level, but they tend to have changed after AS-level. So I don;t know, you may want to hang on until the end of this year to change.

But have you phoned up your local sixth form?

ReputationRep:
    I would look into it carefully. Unless the school you move to teaches all the modules of all your subjects in the same order as your current school does, you will end up having to learn modules by yourself. That is assuming they do the same exam boards for all your subjects as your current school does - if not, you will have to learn a lot more by yourself.

ReputationRep:

This is a conundrum.

Thanks so much,

Jack
    the word conceited springs to mind?

ReputationRep:
    you are much more likely to get offers from better universities going to a grammar school. i know people who have applied for medicine with straight a*s at a level and haven't even had an offer for there course. the only explanation was their college's rep. which wasn't that prestigious.
    i did my gcses at a grammar school and got all a*s and a grades (i am so glad i didnt go to the local comp) and sadly im now go to a private 6th form because i moved house and there were no good comps i that area. my bus journey for the grammar was about 40 mins either way on the contract bus, but many of my friends had about the same length journey as you if more, some 4 1/2 hours, so don't think you are alone and also going to grammar school is so worth it
    if i were you i would definitely stay at the grammar until at least the end of this school year and then decide.
    )

ReputationRep:
    also it seems like you are not used to people caring how well they do in exams. maybe you should learn from the way people behave at grammars.

ReputationRep:

This is a conundrum.

Thanks so much,

Jack
    SNAP! im hoping for the same however, im depressed at mine, and i hate it there, i want to go to a normal place too, a state school, but im not sure about how to do it, im going to speak to my headteacher at my previous school and see if she can help me do something about it,

ReputationRep:
    Yeah sorry if I came across as brash or conceited... again I'm just trying to explain my situation; it's advice I need not criticism of the way I came across in my opening post.

I already know Core 1 and 2 in Maths and am teaching myself Further Maths as the fifth a-level anyway- will probably do all of the modules in June. Physics is the same exam board but they teach it in a different order so would have to do both exams in summer :/. Economics is very similar at both schools, and Geography doesn't require a lot of knowledge to do well in so I'm not too worried about that.

But yeah it would be a lot of work catching up.

Ambrin- inbox me your e-mail so we can talk or something? Would be good to have someone I can relate to!

Thanks for all your advice it's very helpful and is helping me come to a decision..

Jack

ReputationRep:

This is a conundrum.

Thanks so much,

Jack

I wouldn't. Purely because of the education factor, I'm at a comp, been there for what feels like ages and I'd love to go to a grammar or similar to do my A-Levels. Honestly, the schools tend to be bigger, you don't get pushed, you're spoon fed a lot more... I just wouldn't purely because of the frankly better education you'll get at a grammar. Unless you are really motivated and bright, then I'd say broadly speaking you'd do better at the grammar. But just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like its a good idea, sounds like you'd be happier at the other school

BUT you need to check if its feasible. It isn't likely that the local school would be doing the same exam boards as your existing school and this could pose a big problem

ReputationRep:

This is a conundrum.

Thanks so much,

Jack
    So wait, are you saying that you want to go to an academically worse school so you can be the smartest kid in class (again?) and feel better about yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks for your inputs. It's a difficult decision and it would be hard to catch up. I do think it would be possible though, just difficult.

Liquid27, I'm not really fussed about standing out academically, I never did at my old school, what I meant by that is I'd rather be known rather than unknown, and it's easier to be known when you're around people who live locally to you, and who you are socially similar to. Sorry for coming across as brash. Any sensible advice?

Jack

ReputationRep:
    Bababoom

ReputationRep:
    Bump

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.