Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does being drunk make suicide more likely? Watch

This is for someone with existing issues who has been quite close to going through with it at a couple of points, frequent thoughts of it, and depression a lot of the time (distraction from problems can sometimes occur meaning their OK for various chunks).

I am very very worried about them, I want to know if alcohol is a risk

ReputationRep:
    In a word, yes. A lot of restraint goes and if you have suicidal tendencies, ignoring them is often difficult.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed in half.

I can change a mood from bleak to happy; I know the times that I am I am a most happy drunk.

It can also remove the inhibition to "do it" thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bartlet)
    In a word, yes. A lot of restraint goes and if you have suicidal tendencies, ignoring them is often difficult.
    this.

ReputationRep:
    Being drunk has made me more likely to get killed, not so much suicide. But I can see the logic, stealing a bouncer's hat does come close to suicide.

ReputationRep:
    Possibly, thoughts of it, but I'd say soberness would increase depression and make someone more likely. That's just IMO though.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, very much so. Maybe, not at first, but when the depressive effect kicks in, yeah.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. You lose your inhibitions and are more likely to take risks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtfCharlie)
    Possibly, thoughts of it, but I'd say soberness would increase depression and make someone more likely. That's just IMO though.
    lol it's not really a matter of opinion

ReputationRep:
    It does for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arabie)
    lol it's not really a matter of opinion
    Considering it would be person to person how alcohol makes them feel, yes, yes it is.

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol heightens your mood so if you're feeling depressed before drinking, you're likely to feel more depressed/suicidal whilst drinking/after

ReputationRep:
    it makes pretty much everything else much more likely, so probably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtfCharlie)
    Considering it would be person to person how alcohol makes them feel, yes, yes it is.
    you didn't really state that in your post - you just sort of insinuated that you'd think soberness would increase depression (also suggesting you believe people drink to become happy..?) thus make suicide more likely. you didn't really mention the individual-to-individual theory

but anyway, that doesn't matter because no, it's not a matter of opinion. intoxication does make suicide more likely, there have been vast studies carried out on this. sociocultural and environmental factors also play a part, as has been suggested by the negative correlation between alcohol misuse and suicide in some of the epidemiological studies carried out, but all in all - simple answer to thread title: yes.

ReputationRep:
    No brainer, 'course it does

ReputationRep:
    I work in a psychiatric setting and from my own experiences, I would say alcohol strongly increases suicidal ideation and thoughts of self-harm. Whether or not that correlates to an actual increased suicide rate - I couldn't say. I would have the tendancy to say not though, but again, this is from my own experiences and I'd be open and interested in any solid statistics.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the person to be honest, personally though, being drunk tends to greatly amplify my inner feelings which normally ends in me being extremely depressed and so I tend to think even more seriously about things like these. This would imply that it's more likely to lead to the scenario you describe when drunk than when sober, so I'd agree.

ReputationRep:
    Getting drunk to relieve depression is not a good idea as you could end up a depressed alcoholic instead of just depressed and so getting better would be harder. People do get better from depression, especially young people.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.