The Student Room Group

Should gay people be allowed in the Military

Poll

Should gay people be allowed in the Military

i.e. should the don't ask don't tell 'law' be banned. An important thing to consider is that the soldiers might not operate as effective if they know there are gay people in their squad, and not operating effectivly can be the difference between life and death in Afghanistan. Whats your say?
(edited 13 years ago)
I see no reason why their sexuality affects their ability to fight...unless they are too scared cos "they might break a nail/mess the hair".....
I don't see the problem with abolishing 'don't ask don't tell' in the US military. I'm sure the soldiers in Afghanistan will have more to worry about than someone trying to make a move on them.
Reply 3
The ancient Greeks fought like possessed spirits if they knew that their lover was fighting alongside them. Morale boosting, you know?
Reply 4
Gay men. They fight like straight men they bleed like straight men and they die like straight men.

Also did anyone see the US general arguing for banning gays? He pointed out an italian army battle where they lost badly and said they died because they were gay
Reply 5
I fail to see why being gay affects a man's perception of using a gun.
Reply 6
I see no problem with them being in the Army. There's no extra cost, and I doubt they're gunna be a sex pest in a room full of squaddies.
Reply 7
Yes. Why shouldn't gay people be allowed in the military?

I'd argue that if your ability to fight is lowered knowing that there is a gay member in your patrol, then you shouldn't be in the military as you clearly lack the ability to adapt and accept surroundings.
Reply 8
Over time yes, perhaps as you say, if efficiency were lowered then it clearly would be a problem and I see this situation being highly probable. However introducing such things will only increase acceptance of homosexualality, and in turn reduce the impact these decisions have.

It's similar to racism in a way, the fact such a big deal is made of racism only keeps the concept of racism alive.
Reply 9
Of course.
Reply 10
Original post by Kasc
if efficiency were lowered then it clearly would be a problem and I see this situation being highly probable

So you're saying the presence of gay people would make the military less efficient? Why?

Bullying? Generally worse social cohesion? Too much time spent fixing hair...?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Having knowing a few people from the army myself, and from the general stereotype of homophobic that gets put on to them, yes, I do believe that opening allowing gay people in the army would reduce efficiency in some capacity.

(inb4 homophobe, i'm actually bi)
Why not? Women are aloud in the army and there seems nothing wrong with that.
Reply 13
Why not? Sexual orientation does not affect a person's ability to make a good soldier or an officer.

So yeah, they should be. :fight:
They are allowed - do you mean in the US?
Reply 15
Can't see why not, if they weren't they would just pretend not to be anyway.
You are so utterly offensive.
Thankfully such warped views are changing over time.
Reply 17
Original post by Kasc
Having knowing a few people from the army myself, and from the general stereotype of homophobic that gets put on to them, yes, I do believe that opening allowing gay people in the army would reduce efficiency in some capacity.

Okay, that's a valid reason. But as you said, it being allowed eventually makes it less of an issue. Gay soldiers doesn't necessarily mean camp like Elton John in battle dress, these people could appear as straight as Clint Eastwood. I'd like to imagine that if someone is up to the job, their sexuality is just another thing they'd get ripped for, like being ginger or whatever. Maybe that's unrealistic.
If they weren't allowing gay people in the military becuse people are homophobic then they shouldnt let black people in as some people are racist and should let women in as some people are sexist etc etc
Reply 19
I can't see any logical reason for not letting gay people in the army.

Latest

Trending

Trending