Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

US tax cuts: Obama signs compromise deal into law Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12015672

Views?

I think he has really misrepresented his party here, and his whole image as a fresh & brilliant thing for USA is really failing.

I understand he may have needed to make a concession to get the bill passed, but continuing tax-breaks for the super-rich in an economic situation like it is I think is purely ridiculous.

Also lowering Inheritance Taxes and Payroll Taxes... regardless of whether you support it or not, it shouldn't be what Obama and his party are about, they've sold themselves just to get a bill passed & make it look like they're doing something.

I agree benefit payment extension for the long-term unemployed though, so it isn't all bad.

That's just my opinion, anyway.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Problem was if he did not agree then the republicans were going to let the tax breaks run out for everyone. This would likely damage him more as well as the economy.

Also Obama no longer has a super majority in the senate or a majority in congress. His options are very limited now, he has to work with the GDP or watch the country fall apart as the republicans block everything he tries to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Problem was if he did not agree then the republicans were going to let the tax breaks run out for everyone. This would likely damage him more as well as the economy.

Also Obama no longer has a super majority in the senate or a majority in congress. His options are very limited now, he has to work with the GDP or watch the country fall apart as the republicans block everything he tries to do
    Which is a shame, they care more about seeing the other person fail rather than fixing the country
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    Which is a shame, they care more about seeing the other person fail rather than fixing the country
    Thats politics for you most can't see past their own greed and selfish ambition

ReputationRep:
    He did have the option to not budge and push hard for the bill to pass applying pressure on Republicans but he kept on making concessions and is now paying the price (see midterms). Now his options are limited but the Democrats should still have the upper hand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craiky1506)

Views?

I think he has really misrepresented his party here, and his whole image as a fresh & brilliant thing for USA is really failing.

I understand he may have needed to make a concession to get the bill passed, but continuing tax-breaks for the super-rich in an economic situation like it is I think is purely ridiculous.

Also lowering Inheritance Taxes and Payroll Taxes... regardless of whether you support it or not, it shouldn't be what Obama and his party are about, they've sold themselves just to get a bill passed & make it look like they're doing something.

I agree benefit payment extension for the long-term unemployed though, so it isn't all bad.

What do you mean what his party is about? Being a democrat or part of a party in america is not the same as it is in the uk. It actually means nothing about your political ideologies. Google blue dog democrats and the tea party movement. Both these ideologies are affiliated with a party, but many of those in the party oppose everything the are about. Although I do understand what you are getting at. This isn't what obama is about, but hey that's politics. He had the right idea going into presidency, however now he is there he is being influenced and bullied like every other president. Sad but ture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craiky1506)

Views?

They aren't tax breaks for the super rich. Most small businesses file an individual return and raising their taxes now would cause them to fail and unemployment would skyrocket even higher.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.