Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student revolts, police brutality, Jody Mcintyre... watch

ReputationRep:
    Have you noticed the increase in police brutality, martial law and lack of ethics the police and government now have as more and more people begin to retaliate to their circumstances?

Especially the media, has anyone noticed the disgusting manner in which Jody Mcintyre was interviewed on bbc news?

All this behaviour was correctly predicted by Gerald Celente some time ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXO97s4JJXM

Watch all 6 parts ^^^, some very useful information.

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

ReputationRep:
    Largely speaking the police do a great job, and deal with these situations with due care and diligence. They have not become any more violent than previously, and if anything, the amount of bureaucratic pressure on them has limited their capabilities to restrain significantly over the past decade.

On a separate note, it seems we're very pleased and smiley-faced when the police deal with EDL marches, but as soon as it's a so called student 'demonstration', the police are vilified beyond acceptability for doing a necessary job. Especially considering when police didn't play a big role, students tore up Millbank.

It seems there's not only a double standard, but a flagrant politicisation of our public services. The attitude that it's students on one side and the authority on the other places our public servants in a difficult position where they are stuck between a rock and a hard place. They have a duty to fulfil and a necessary one at that, but any and all attempts to contain and supervise such events immediately places the blame on them. Whilst I'm as against police brutality as the next person, the shackles of blame lie on those who create violence and in this case, as much as it pains me to say it, it's the students (albeit a fringe minority), not the police.

Nope. I applaud the police for protecting our democracy against violent thugs.

To claim that the student protests became violent because of the police is just completely incorrect.

The students have started the violence on every single occasion. The most obvious time was the first - when thousands of students rioted at Millbank where there were about 6 policemen not even in riot gear.

Jody Mcintyre is a violent thug.
    Spoiler:
    Show

To be fair, he isn't a peaceful protestor at all, he describes himself as 'on the rampage'. He can walk and boasts of attacking police - on his own blog he boasts of shoving his own way through lines of riot police and climbing the 9 storey staircase to the top of CCHQ.

The photographer who recorded the 'confrontation' last week describes how the police put themselves in harms way to be as gentle as possible with him - until he lept up, angrily argued with an officer and tried to assault one of them, having to be held back by another protestor. He describes himself as a 'revolutionary' and if you still think that he is just a peaceful harmless disabled person randomly attacked by the police, i invite you to read another boast from his criminally extremist blog:

"Eventually, around 30 of us managed to break our way through into the Treasury. Unfortunately, the rest never made it".

"Me and Finlay immediately set to work, tearing down the metal barriers."

"We continued down the sixty stone steps at the other end of the Treasury road without so much as a pause for breath. We were on the rampage."

Poor, poor him, how dare the police touch him. #outrage.

IMO he is a violent ****er, who sits in his wheelchair manufacturing outrage amongst people who are ignorant of who he is and his violent past.

He is exactly the sort of violent extremist idiot who hijacks and steals these events and headlines away from the thousands of peaceful protestors for his own side agenda. He is a extremist 'revolutionary' tee double-you eh tee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    Largely speaking the police do a great job, and deal with these situations with due care and diligence. They have not become any more violent than previously, and if anything, the amount of bureaucratic pressure on them has limited their capabilities to restrain significantly over the past decade.

On a separate note, it seems we're very pleased and smiley-faced when the police deal with EDL marches, but as soon as it's a so called student 'demonstration', the police are vilified beyond acceptability for doing a necessary job. Especially considering when police didn't play a big role, students tore up Millbank.

It seems there's not only a double standard, but a flagrant politicisation of our public services. The attitude that it's students on one side and the authority on the other places our public servants in a difficult position where they are stuck between a rock and a hard place. They have a duty to fulfil and a necessary one at that, but any and all attempts to contain and supervise such events immediately places the blame on them. Whilst I'm as against police brutality as the next person, the shackles of blame lie on those who create violence and in this case, as much as it pains me to say it, it's the students (albeit a fringe minority), not the police.
    I'd hardly say there's a double-standard. You look at cases like Ian Tomlinson and realise that actually, people make a fuss about individual police incidents all the time. It might be that there's more debate on the student-related incidents on here because it's a student forum, and typically, the threads are on the brutality against a disabled person in a wheelchair, which isn't something which normally turns up in the news. Whenever somebody captures evidence of this, it's thrown all over the media and the Internet.

Completely agree with everything else

ReputationRep:

I don't think there's been a general blanket condemnation of the police force in relation to the protests but of specific incidents such as dragging of the disabled man along the ground and the man who suffered severe head injuries (although that received far less attention in comparison to the previous example). There's also been criticism of the kettling technique which means protesters who may have turned up to march for an hour or few hours are kept indiscriminately inside a police blockade for a very long time. I think many people may feel there's not been a distinction made between the minority violent protesters who are most likely just there to cause problems and the majority peaceful students and their supporters who want to protest peacefully against the fees rises.

ReputationRep:
    The police should step aside and let the students do what they have to do.

It will work wonders for the prospects of future generations in this country.

Otherwise, all I can see is Civil War.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    I don't think there's been a general blanket condemnation of the police force in relation to the protests but of specific incidents such as dragging of the disabled man along the ground and the man who suffered severe head injuries (although that received far less attention in comparison to the previous example). There's also been criticism of the kettling technique which means protesters who may have turned up to march for an hour or few hours are kept indiscriminately inside a police blockade for a very long time. I think many people may feel there's not been a distinction made between the minority violent protesters who are most likely just there to cause problems and the majority peaceful students and their supporters who want to protest peacefully against the fees rises.
    Whilst you're right about there being scrutiny on individual cases (which is completely justified), I think you're ignoring the fact that various organisations across the country and including the NUS have vilified the police for doing a duty I believe is necessary. I don't particularly like the idea of kettling, but in extreme circumstances, they simply don't have the luxury of cherry picking each student and dealing with protesters individually. There are limited resources and a finite amount of policemen and women dealing with tens of thousands of people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loafer)

To claim that the student protests became violent because of the police is just completely incorrect.

The students have started the violence on every single occasion. The most obvious time was the first - when thousands of students rioted at Millbank where there were about 6 policemen not even in riot gear.

Spoiler:
    Show

To be fair, he isn't a peaceful protestor at all, he describes himself as 'on the rampage'. He can walk and boasts of attacking police - on his own blog he boasts of shoving his own way through lines of riot police and climbing the 9 storey staircase to the top of CCHQ.

The photographer who recorded the 'confrontation' last week describes how the police put themselves in harms way to be as gentle as possible with him - until he lept up, angrily argued with an officer and tried to assault one of them, having to be held back by another protestor. He describes himself as a 'revolutionary' and if you still think that he is just a peaceful harmless disabled person randomly attacked by the police, i invite you to read another boast from his criminally extremist blog:

"Eventually, around 30 of us managed to break our way through into the Treasury. Unfortunately, the rest never made it".

"We continued down the sixty stone steps at the other end of the Treasury road without so much as a pause for breath. We were on the rampage."

IMO he is a violent ****er, who sits in his wheelchair manufacturing outrage amongst people who are ignorant of who he is and his violent past.

He is exactly the sort of violent extremist idiot who hijacks and steals these events and headlines away from the thousands of peaceful protestors for his own side agenda. He is a extremist 'revolutionary' tee double-you eh tee
    Listen, you have no real basis upon whch you base this information. These writings on blogs on the internet simply convey feelings of retalliation and do not manifest in overly violent actions, the guy is in a wheelchair FFS (i have never seen him walk without aid).

If you saw the things he had whilst he lived in palestine you would feel the heartache and do the same as he is; fight the zionist regime and try to uphold justice. Rather than enjoy being violated protecting the government and for the injust violence it stands for by accusing this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsnOb...79997&index=91

ReputationRep:

No but seriously. Are police are brilliant, grow up, you should see how they deal with riots in other European countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huskaris)
    [IMG]http://images1.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/2283350/FORNICATE-THE-CONSTABULARY.jpg?imageSize=Large &generatorName=Joseph-Ducreux[/]

No but seriously. Are police are brilliant, grow up, you should see how they deal with riots in other European countries.
    That's because they riot properly though ;P

ReputationRep:

This is because there aren't many EDL members and not many people agree with their pathetic views and opinions, where as everyone knows a student and share their sympathy. (Though it's not actually that bad tbh).

Don't be a moron, anyone can see that they were trying to provoke more violence by attacking this 'revolutionary' in a wheelchair. The shackles of blame lie upon the puppet masters behind all these politicians; order out of chaos indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tesla1993)
    Don't be a moron, anyone can see that they were trying to provoke more violence by attacking this 'revolutionary' in a wheelchair. The shackles of blame lie upon the puppet masters behind all these politicians; order out of chaos indeed.
    Not particularly. You're playing a game of 'blame the victim'. Police were provoked by missiles as well as violent students. There is no 'puppet master', so throw your nonsense elsewhere.

The politicisation of student sympathies have nothing to do with the issue. It's a simple case of police trying to minimise violence, and detain those responsible. If you encourage violence, then I have absolutely no sympathy, and I'm a student and a Liberal at that.

Moron.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loafer)

Spoiler:
    Show

Seconded. You should take every story with a pinch of salt. Jody McIntyre is a not a student; he is a left-wing anti-government activist and freelance journalist. He describes himself as a "revolutionary freedom-fighter" and has given several anti-UK, anti-USA, anti-Israel, and pro-Palestine speeches.

Student fees are just an excuse for him and his sort to get involved in any anti-establishment confrontation."

He can, apparently, walk up to 100 yards unaided. He has an axe to grind and will deliberately 'set himself up' in this way in order to have a go at the police.

If you use Google, you can read his words about him being part of the rioting violent mob that stormed Millbank (albeit he puts a slightly different spin on it) being one of the rioters that reached the roof during that orgy of destruction.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Have you noticed the increase in police brutality, martial law and lack of ethics the police and government now have as more and more people begin to retaliate to their circumstances?

Especially the media, has anyone noticed the disgusting manner in which Jody Mcintyre was interviewed on bbc news?

All this behaviour was correctly predicted by Gerald Celente some time ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXO97s4JJXM

What do you want the BBC to do? Pat him on the back and say well done? If it had been a cop they would have likely been asking about alligations of police brutality, its called playing devil's advocate.

As for martial law we hardly having peopel shot on the streets are weo.

ReputationRep:

WTF are you on about? Police brutality? A few rioters get what was coming to them and now the police and the government are corrupt!

Try protesting in burma, then you'll see ****ing brutality!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimme More)
    The police should step aside and let the students do what they have to do.

It will work wonders for the prospects of future generations in this country.

Otherwise, all I can see is Civil War.
    yes a workforce who don't work. i've no food, no muscle by whose use I could get food. BUT, DO NOT THREAT, I have a 3rd class honors degree in philosophy from Leeds university. WE SHALL NOT GO HUNGRY.

do what you have to do and I will civil war my boot to your head.

ReputationRep:
    Someone got punched by the police, someone got beaten very badly by the police, someone was denied medical treament by police, a protestor was dragged frm his wheel chair by police. Yes on their own these incidences are very much an outrage but considering that they appear to be the only instances of use of necessary violence from a protest that had 10s of thousands of people, I dont think it really constitutes the widespread "police brutality"or lack of ethics that you speak of. Its always a little patronising when people talk about oppressive nature of the police or government in this country and try and paint themselves as some sort of resistance fighters.

Where is this martial law that you speak of?

ReputationRep:
    Martial law? Civil war?

Get some perspective.

ReputationRep:
    I'd just like to say anyone who wasn't actually there- the media has not reported the riots in a balanced and impartial way and I think anyone forming their opinions of anyone involved in the riots- protesters, police, politicians, should take that into account.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.