Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Question to anyone who does or has done driving lessons with BSM Watch

ReputationRep:
    If, say, my friend is doing driving lessons with a guy from BSM, and his instructor is really good and I want to learn with him too. Can I phone the guy and book lessons, or would I have to book it through BSM, and end up not getting the same guy?

Should be able to phone him. I had a good instructor with the AA and passed his mobile number on to friends. Instructors don't work for their driving school, they work as a franchise and organise their own work. The driving school merely supplies them with a car and a means of getting new pupils in return for an annual fee.

ReputationRep:
      I had a BSM instructor recommended to me by a mate as well. I just got his number and organised everything with him. No interaction with BSM the company or any office at all. Cracking bloke as well.

ReputationRep:
      If you negotiate with the BSM company itself, then it's like dealing with a pestering kid.

Dont do BSM, go private. "BSM" and "Book" in the same sentance really infuriates me (past experience with them)

ReputationRep:
      Hello palindromedary

Whichever way you book your lessons, insist on having the instructor you want.

Personal recommendation from friends is undoubtedly the best way of finding a good instructor, but the friends must already have passed their tests. You say your friend is still having lessons. He or she is not really in a position yet to say if the lessons are any good. They might merely like him.

I will be making a video soon on how to choose a driving instructor. In the mean time take a look at this video, which will give you the right general approach to learning to drive and taking your test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWfpGZ15juQ

You can see more of my videos on the driving test by putting lacontrabasse in the YouTube search box.

All the best

Victor

ReputationRep:
      Totally agree with Victor here. Recommendation is definately the best way to go. You might have to ask your mates about their instructor though, as some of them wont voluntarily recommend them, because they want to take all the credit for passing their driving test themselves. If you know several people who passed with the same instructor, chances are they are decent enough.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.