Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

David Beckham to win BBC Lifetime Achievement Award at Sports Personality Of The Year Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Former England captain David Beckham is to receive the BBC Sports Personality Lifetime Achievement award on Sunday.

The 35-year-old midfielder is England's most capped outfield player and won six Premier League titles and the Champions League crown with Manchester United.

He won the Spanish league with Real Madrid after a £25m move from United before joining Los Angeles Galaxy and also spent two loan spells at AC Milan.

In 2001 Beckham was named BBC Sports Personality of the Year.

The lifetime honour is one of several awards which will be presented during the BBC Sports Personality of the Year show from 1900 GMT on Sunday.

"David's record on and off the pitch has been remarkable," BBC Sports Personality of the Year editor Carl Doran said.

"It's a fitting reward for an outstanding career as a player and for his tireless work as an ambassador for British sport. He has also been a tremendous role model and I'm sure he'll get an amazing reaction from the public in Birmingham."

Nine years ago Beckham won the main award, voted for by the public, after an outstanding display for England against Greece in which his late free-kick earned the national side a place in the 2002 World Cup finals.

His England career began in September 1996 against Moldova with his latest, and 115th, cap coming against Belarus in October 2009. He also captained England 59 times in that period.

LINK
    Isn't it abit early to give the guy a Lifetime Achievement Award when he's actually still playing? I know he ain't at the top clubs in Europe but it seems abit hasty and possibly has been given more for his ambassadorial performances than anything on the pitch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    possibly has been given more for his ambassadorial performances than anything on the pitch.
    yeah, i mean, it's not as if he won many trophies is it?

ReputationRep:
    May be a bit early, but i think he deserves it. He's not a douche, and he's a good person, who's not just into sport for the money. I remember he went to help England at South Africa in the World Cup even though he was given an opportunity to commentate/present the football for ITV/BBC or something. Thats a pretty good act, imo. Not many would turn down millions of quid to help his countries football team for free.

(AFAIK and AFAIR(as far as i can remember) )

ReputationRep:
    Deserves it. Especially as he has never got into feuds with other managers or bad mouthed other players despite having plenty of reason to (SAF boot incident, McClaren leaving him out of the squad etc). Also been a great ambassador for the game and contributed significantly to a lot of good causes because of his profile. He's certainly a very good sports personality in that sense.

ReputationRep:
    He'd get it sooner or later. He deserves it. Good stuff.

ReputationRep:
    cool
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I guess since he is no longer in the England squad nor playing in a top club this seems like the best time to give it tohim

ReputationRep:
    fully deserves it.......he is clearly cut from a different cloth to that of those who are in football for the money...*cough cough drogba, tevez, ronaldo, rooney cough cough*.....not to mention all the other positive stuff he does

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it abit early to give the guy a Lifetime Achievement Award when he's actually still playing? I know he ain't at the top clubs in Europe but it seems abit hasty and possibly has been given more for his ambassadorial performances than anything on the pitch.
    He will deserve something like this in the future but isn't he still only 35-ish...

just too young an age to be awarded such an accolade.

ReputationRep:
    Deserves it but probably rather early. SPOTY is a farce anyway, sad to think 10 years ago I loved watching it, now I may not even tune in

ReputationRep:
    Jessica Ennis is fit and on this basis alone, she deserves to win SPOTY.

Close thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Orange)
    yeah, i mean, it's not as if he won many trophies is it?
    I meant, not done much on the pitch in recent years. But there's no doubting his achievements at when he was at his peak.

It just seems early to give this award to someone imo, when this award has been given to sportsmen who've been done and dusted.

BTW, WHW - Ennis is definitely fit. But I'm backing McDowell.

ReputationRep:
    I meant, not done much on the pitch in recent years. But there's no doubting his achievements at when he was at his peak.

It just seems early to give this award to someone imo, when this award has been given to sportsmen who've been done and dusted.

BTW, WHW - Ennis is definitely fit. But I'm backing McDowell.
    Ennis has had a great year, Daly won the world championship and at such a young age, that jockey has had a great career and a wonderful year, as has McDowell. Haye's done OK, beating that big giant but the Haye-Harrison fight was a farce. Haye is a great personality but he's not going to win this on the basis of sporting achievement this year.

Ennis comes across as an incredibly nice person, a very warm/smiley/happy person, and she's also very successful in what she does. I'd love to see Ennis win it. She's got the lot: the looks, the personality and the success. Her BF is one lucky sod tbh.

It will be nice to see Becks awarded in this 'lifetime achievement' category but he is still only in his 30s and it seems a bit premature tbh. There must be a ex-sporting superstar (and pensioner) out there who deserves it - the awarding of it to Becks seems age-inappropriate tbh but meh, I enjoy the SPOTY show, guaranteed some good tv.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 18, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.