Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ARGH! FML. I can't sleep until 4-6am most nights and then I end up sleeping all day. It affects absolutely everything. If I'm going out during the day; I feel sick, my head hurts, my eyes hurt due to lack of sleep. I only eat one meal a day because I'm usually not awake and it makes me feel even more depressed and makes me want to self harm more because I have more time to think about it... I've been to the doctors countless times before but they've said I need to 'train' myself to sleep and they refuse to do anything else... :mad: this is actually controlling my whole life.

ReputationRep:
    How long have you been affected by this? If I'd been affected by it for a long time, I'd definitely go back and say something (very forcefully). I think doctors just don't want you to rely on sleeping pills in the future - but if you're really in need for some, they can do wonders at first.

You've probably got yourself into a psychological state where you just can't sleep - I did this over the past term for a while but on a less extreme level! I'd go back to the doctors, maybe even a different doctor - and get some sleeping pills to get you into a rhythm of decent sleep, then slowly wean yourself off them.

ReputationRep:
    Go back to your doctors. They'll still tell you to train your body though. Don't give in and sleep through the day, have one day where you fight the urge to sleep in the day, so hopefully when it comes to sleeping at night you're actually tired enough. Also make sure you eat well, eat three meals a day at set times, this will train your body to use energy at the right times of day. Eat a good hearty evening meal around 6/7 and that should send you into a nice calm mood for when you try to sleep a couple of hours later. Make sure you have nothing in your room which is off putting, like lights from tv, computer. Have a book beside your bed to read - I find this sends me to sleep when I get to the point where I'm not taking in the sentences anymore. Your body's in a nocturnal state and you need to train it off this, otherwise it really will affect your social and work life.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.