The Student Room Group

King's College or USA? Long...

I have a huge dilemma and it would be interesting to see what you guys think.

I am a student from Europe (not GB) and currently I am attending a university/college in the US as a first year student. Next year I would have the chance to go to King's College London and start there as a fresher and I don't know whether I should go.

The college I go to in the US is a rich, small private school in the middle of nowhere, not too well-known abroad and not even in the US, however it is considered to be a particularly strong college among the US liberal arts colleges (top 1%). It has a close-knit student body, smart professors and a very nice atmosphere. I love this college because it is amazing to live on a beautiful campus and everybody is really friendly and happy here. The classes are engaging and challenging. (sounds like a dream a little bit...but it really is like a dream)

However, next year I could go to King's College London, which is, as you all know, a very prestigious school and a degree from there is definitely worth more than a degree from this American college. But I do not really feel like going there. I know that it is awesome here in the US (best year of my life) and I don't know for sure whether it'd be good there. In addition to this, London is expensive and I could not afford too much there (of course basic stuff and minimal entertainment yes). I am on scholarship in the US so I don't (and won't) really have to pay for anything here.

What would you do? Would you go for King's? It wouldn't care at all about being a fresher again. King's gives a huge boost to your resume, and it should be fun to live in London. But does King's give you such a great experience as this school? I do not often hear current UK students talking about university as the very very best years of their life while in the US it really is a truly outstanding experience. I talked to king's students who confirmed that while it's good, it is not that amazing. On the other hand, what would I do with a degree from here if I wanted to go back and work in Europe? It would be much harder to get a job in Europe with this degree. At the same time, this college has connections in the US and some in Europe too which might make it easier to get a good job while as a graduate from King's I will just be one of the couple of 10,000 students...

I kinda feel that while being an undergrad at King's can be comparable to being a grad student later at a good university, being an undergrad at a US college is a once-in-a-ifetime experience with the campus experience and everything... I do not know which opportunity to throw away? The lifelong experience of four years here, or the huge privilege of attending King's. What would you do?

thanks
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Personally I would go to king's college because of its huge reputation. I've applied there for biomedical science so im hoping for an offer. Plus London is a fun place to be, all the clubs, tourist attractions, everything.
However it would be a huge change from where you are currently, as you would soon notice. Its very busy and I consider it very unrelaxing because it seems like a Huge rush. I live in London and when I go on holiday, after coming back I notice how busy it really is. However not all areas are like this.

Really I can't answer your question for you, but if you feel like you want to get involved in a huge city full of a variety of people from different cultures and see something different for a couple of years of your life, then I would definitely consider Kings if I was you.

(I havent checked what ive written above so things that I may have said could make no sense at all :biggrin: )
Reply 2
Thanks for sharing your opinion! Any other thoughts?
Reply 3
I think you should definitely stay in the US. You have to enjoy it, and if it's a once in a lifetime opportunity for you, take it! You can come over to England and do a post-graduate degree and that will give you the prestige and reputation of English universities like King's. It's not the be all and end all, and people do well in life without degrees at all, so just do what you think you will enjoy the most. Life is for living! Have fun :smile:
Which unis are you thinking of applying to in the US? State colleges or Ivy league? If you enjoy being in the US, if I were you I'd stay and like jthlm said, go to UK unis at post grad. That way you get the best of both worlds! I'm jealous, I'd love to go to the US for uni!
Reply 5
I am right now attending a liberal arts college (neither an ivy nor a state school):smile:
Reply 6
I'm at an Ivy, I think being in the USA is IMMENSE. I'm actually an international student FROM UK.
What are you actually studying?
The thing is, you're at a respected liberal arts college as you say. Surely you're bound to have great prospects when you graduate. For example, Swarthmore College professors boasted that they're respected just as much as some Ivy leagues and elite non-ivy leagues i.e chicago, berkeley etc. It's up to you to research this further.
I think there's around 200 Lib art colleges in US anyways, so I bet you're a Swarthmorian lol

Sure, Kings is a great uni. It's around 10th-15th in the UK national rankings. I've stayed at King's halls of residence and checked out the area, it's great. But for me, I much prefer life in the US. There's a greater range of characters in US from my experience, the people from UK tend to have virtually the same character.

I think, because you are at a respected institution at the moment, and are loving it there...you shouldn't really leave. But it's all your decision. i'd research the prospects of your college graduates further before making a decision.

P.S Why not just do a postgraduate degree in UK after you graduate?
(edited 13 years ago)
Which liberal arts college are you at?
Reply 8
I will PM it to you but I wouldn't wanna share it with everyone.
Reply 9
If you've having an amazing time here in the US- stay! King's is a wonderful opportunity, but you can do it for graduate, like a lot of other people have said. Enjoy your time! :smile:
If you are enjoying where you are right now, let it stay that way. Especially as it's a closely-knit community, thereby getting more attention and help with your studies. You can also graduate early by gaining extra credit in semesters.

Plus, in the US, graduate school plays a bigger role than undergrad, thereby you will have your masters/PHD to look forward to, which you can carry on doing in the US or here in the UK.

Yes, King's College is quite respected, it isn't Oxbridge by any means, but up there in the top 10, or around that bracket. Prestige however usually applies more to the very top of the cream, and King's maybe isn't known that well internationally.

You also have to look at where you wish to study next, if it's the UK/EU, then King's maybe a good choice, however US grad schools prefer it if you have gone to a college in the US, and if that's where you plan to work in the future, then best stay there.
Reply 11
The problem is that everyone has great points...:biggrin:
Reply 12
Bump...I still have not decided but need to make a decision very soon. Any other thoughts?
Stay in the US! I'd kill to be able to study in the US (I am actually an American citizen living in the UK) and London is ok, but very expensive and it sounds like you're having fun where you are atm.
Reply 14
It might be the worst/or best/ decision of my life but I am probably going to King's. Thank you for all your advice.
Reply 15
haha hey! Don't worry about it. I'm sure London won't be half as bad as you make it! Chances are I'm going to London too (either UCL or ICL) and we can be buddies if you wanna! :wink:

Anyhow, KCL is a great school and London seems fun! Don't worry mann (or woman? :O )
Reply 16
Original post by erklam
It might be the worst/or best/ decision of my life but I am probably going to King's. Thank you for all your advice.

Nice! Might see you around :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending