Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

subjects needed for chemical engineering? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi.. i wanted to know what subjects are needed for chemical engineering.i am not doing physics coz i kinda found it hard and now after reading some of the requirements needed to become a chemical engineer i found that it is more physics based than chemistry..if you guys can help me out on this one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelstie16)
    hi.. i wanted to know what subjects are needed for chemical engineering.i am not doing physics coz i kinda found it hard and now after reading some of the requirements needed to become a chemical engineer i found that it is more physics based than chemistry..if you guys can help me out on this one
    I'm currently studying Chemical Engineering and the subjects that I took for IB were: (SL) English, French, Biology and (HL) Maths, Chemistry, Business.

A definite subject you need is Maths. HL is definitely a must. SL will not get you anywhere, all the offers will ask for HL, and even though I did HL I still find Maths (the pure math courses I'm required to take) hard.

Business HL i took because I wasn't sure if I wanted to do engineering or business, but what i've found is that there is a lot of business to chemical engineering. I'm required for example to take two business courses and in my final year I do a specific course called 'plant economics'. Business is not a must, but I guess it is something you could look forward to.

The big question I guess is which is (are) the important science(s). Chemistry is a must. HL is an advantage, and most offers will probably ask for it. It is called Chemical Engineering so that is a give away. it's like saying you don't need physics for electric engineering or computer studies for computer engineering. I can tell you that if you don't do chemistry you would find it very hard because many of the courses I do don't introduce concepts - they assume you already know them. Courses like organic chem, thermodynamics, reaction engineering, that kind of stuff.

Biology I took because I liked it, I found it easy, and because I'm minoring in bioengineering so it is very helpful. In my opinion I think biology goes more with chemical engineering - something which would most likely be pointed out to you if you study chemical engineering - but it is not a must.

So to take physics or not to take physics? I didn't and I'm doing fine. The last time I did physics was GCSE and its substantial. Physics, either as SL or HL, would've been an advantage for courses like material science or fluid mechanics, but its not a must - they start you from the beginning or a stage close to it where its easy to pick up from. What I've found is that they can teach you the physics, but they can not teach you the maths or the chemistry. It starts from such a level that you're disadvantaged if you dont have it. It's kind of like studying economics. They can teach you the economics, but not the maths and hence they ask for maths, and only economics because it would help and to differentiate between applicants.

Most offers would ask for Maths and Chemistry, sometimes even another science but they dont specify which one.

That was very long winded, but in summary I guess: definitely take Maths and Chemistry. And then if you want/can: physics or biology.

ReputationRep:
    Id deffinately do maths and chemistry if i were you. And maybe business or something.

ReputationRep:
    Maths and Chemistry. Preferably Further Maths as well, at least to AS level. Also appears Physics is a good choice.

ReputationRep:
    According to the Oxford Prospectus, Physics and Maths are a definite. Further Maths helpful.

Do your own research to the type of universities you want to go to.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry, Maths, Engineering?
    Probably these subjects are best-linked by want to want to study further but definitely make research on the universities' websites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G A B R I E L)
    I'm currently studying Chemical Engineering and the subjects that I took for IB were: (SL) English, French, Biology and (HL) Maths, Chemistry, Business.

A definite subject you need is Maths. HL is definitely a must. SL will not get you anywhere, all the offers will ask for HL, and even though I did HL I still find Maths (the pure math courses I'm required to take) hard.

Business HL i took because I wasn't sure if I wanted to do engineering or business, but what i've found is that there is a lot of business to chemical engineering. I'm required for example to take two business courses and in my final year I do a specific course called 'plant economics'. Business is not a must, but I guess it is something you could look forward to.

The big question I guess is which is (are) the important science(s). Chemistry is a must. HL is an advantage, and most offers will probably ask for it. It is called Chemical Engineering so that is a give away. it's like saying you don't need physics for electric engineering or computer studies for computer engineering. I can tell you that if you don't do chemistry you would find it very hard because many of the courses I do don't introduce concepts - they assume you already know them. Courses like organic chem, thermodynamics, reaction engineering, that kind of stuff.

Biology I took because I liked it, I found it easy, and because I'm minoring in bioengineering so it is very helpful. In my opinion I think biology goes more with chemical engineering - something which would most likely be pointed out to you if you study chemical engineering - but it is not a must.

So to take physics or not to take physics? I didn't and I'm doing fine. The last time I did physics was GCSE and its substantial. Physics, either as SL or HL, would've been an advantage for courses like material science or fluid mechanics, but its not a must - they start you from the beginning or a stage close to it where its easy to pick up from. What I've found is that they can teach you the physics, but they can not teach you the maths or the chemistry. It starts from such a level that you're disadvantaged if you dont have it. It's kind of like studying economics. They can teach you the economics, but not the maths and hence they ask for maths, and only economics because it would help and to differentiate between applicants.

Most offers would ask for Maths and Chemistry, sometimes even another science but they dont specify which one.

That was very long winded, but in summary I guess: definitely take Maths and Chemistry. And then if you want/can: physics or biology.
    thank you very much for the details but i also wanted to know how many years it takes for your master's degree...

ReputationRep:
    thank you very much for the details but i also wanted to know how many years it takes for your master's degree...
    MEng takes 4 years typically although some places have it as a 5 year course.

The best A Level combo is Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths and Physics. If you can't do Physics then I'd do Economics in its place.

ReputationRep:
    Chem eng is predominantly maths and physics with a little bit of chemistry on the side, but when I say physics I'm talking about mechanics rather than astrology for example.

ReputationRep:
    i need help, would i get into nottingham with these grades

Chemistry A
    Maths and Mechanics A
    Business A
    DT A*

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.