Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, am having a little trouble mapping my university network drive (I'm from manchester uni).
    I have read the guide on how to map on macs, it just doesn't connect.
    I get to 'connect to server', copy my network drive address in, wait for ages to be told I can't connect with this message: The server may not exist, check the server name etc.

I can connect to my drive via internet, so I don't think the server is down.

ReputationRep:
    chances are you need to use something like:
    smb://<server>/share

You use that in the finder connect to sever. (meta K I think)

This will probably only work if you're on the Uni network. That type of access is usually blocked on firewalls. If you're at home your uni might have a vpn server you can connect to first that allows you to connect to the filestore.

Also make sure your OS is fully up to date. There was a lovely bug in 10.5 and 10.6 that when your moved your files to a share on a windows server it would copy the file to the server, delete the original (doing the move) and then once all the files were moved delete the files from the server. I've heard this has been fixed in the latest 10.6 but I've not tested yet.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much, I needed to connect via the universities VPN as I am home.
    :ta:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.