Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Buggery buggerbags... any help? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Right, I've been a silly **** and not applied for anything yet. Last term was incredibly busy at university and I've missed a load of deadlines. Here are my deets:

3rd Year, Cambridge, studying Politics, Psychology and Sociology, high 2i last year, predicted 2i/1. 5 As at A-Level, 10 A*s at GCSE. Previous work experience at Credit Suisse, but nothing except retail work and voluntary stuff in the last 3 years.

Would love to get into banking in some way, but I'm just not sure what's still open or what would be the best way to approach it. Should I go for internships with a view to become full-time, or should I just seek out the full-time graduate positions that are still going, however sparsely?

Mainly I'd just like to know what my options are as a finalist this late in the game.

Undying gratitude and appreciation!

Your option is to avoid the application process and run/build your network as much as possible.

Anyone who wants to lie to you and claim that the application route is going to be a winning lottery is naive.

ReputationRep:
      sorry, I have no helpful input into this thread, I just wanted to say I think that's one of the best thread titles I've seen on TSR

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by sammyrj)
      3rd Year, Cambridge, studying Politics, Psychology and Sociology.
      I envy you! Come on 5th Jan!!

...Sorry, that was completely unhelpful....Err...good luck!

ReputationRep:
      I agree, I wanted to plus rep you for saying buggery buggerbags xD...unfortunately I'm all out.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by President_Ben)
      Your option is to avoid the application process and run/build your network as much as possible.

Anyone who wants to lie to you and claim that the application route is going to be a winning lottery is naive.
      So at this stage I just need to find someone important to sleep with? Slightly annoying. Is it not worth me finishing the applications I've started with Nomura, Deloitte, UBS...? I guess the problem is that I won't be able to apply again for 12 months if and when I'm rejected. Would an Autumn Internship at J. P. Morgan be worth considering?

So at this stage I just need to find someone important to sleep with?
        I'm taking that as sarcastic.

Slightly annoying. Is it not worth me finishing the applications I've started with Nomura, Deloitte, UBS...?
        I don't like to repeat myself. And D-useless aren't really the same kind of firm. We've no interest in beancounting here.

I guess the problem is that I won't be able to apply again for 12 months if and when I'm rejected. Would an Autumn Internship at J. P. Morgan be worth considering?
        I don't pay attention to what an autumn internship is. Ancient history to me. As I said, hit your network. It's coming up to Christmas; there's never an easier time.

ReputationRep:
        Oh dear. So, anyone got any numbers they can pass on? Looks like I'm going to have to use my seductive voice.

ReputationRep:
        Oo bugger :lol:

I don't think 'Court Jester' is a role that is advertised for but it would seem to suit you.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by President_Ben)
          I don't think 'Court Jester' is a role that is advertised for but it would seem to suit you.
          Yes, because the presentation of yourself on an anonymous internet forum truly reflects your deep, underlying personality traits and attitude towards work. I'm very grateful for the advice you've given, but don't think I don't also feel patronised. I understand you've 'earned your resepect' around these forums, but that's no reason to talk to people like they're idiots. Yes, yes, the 'cold hard life of banking', I get it, 'there's a whole corporate world out there'... but having a sense of humour away from the application forms of Morgan Stanley doesn't mean I don't take the prospect of a job seriously.

And you'll be glad to know that I've already been trying to get phones ringing. Looks like I might have some luck with Nomura, Russell Investments and possibly RBS.

ReputationRep:
          Firstly I love this thread!

Secondly I don't think you are in as much bother as you think you are. As you say, many of the graduate deadlines have passed, but a good few of internships are still open (for your case I'd go for the longer 6 month or year internships). Credit Suisse on your CV is also a big plus, it's experience that any of the other banks would value.

So you have this holiday period to look at possible internship applications, and there is nothing stopping you from using your network to try and get a graduate role directly at the same time.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by sam1990)

Secondly I don't think you are in as much bother as you think you are. As you say, many of the graduate deadlines have passed, but a good few of internships are still open (for your case I'd go for the longer 6 month or year internships). Credit Suisse on your CV is also a big plus, it's experience that any of the other banks would value.

So you have this holiday period to look at possible internship applications, and there is nothing stopping you from using your network to try and get a graduate role directly at the same time.

Good luck
          Thanks a lot. I don't want to keep bothering, but do you have any tips for specific internships? Which banks are offering decent 6-12 month ones?

(Original post by sam1990)

Good luck
            Internship applications? For this summer? If you applied later than two months ago, you're a dinosaur.

The only play is tapping your network. And work experience from over three years ago is now very close to worthless.

Thanks a lot. I don't want to keep bothering, but do you have any tips for specific internships? Which banks are offering decent 6-12 month ones?
              All of them will do off-cycle internships. Call them up, ask. They aren't always or even usually formal schemes.

ReputationRep:
              Easy to say "tapping your network," much harder done for a grad

Trust me I know

ReputationRep:
              (Original post by Teenage Pirate)
              Easy to say "tapping your network," much harder done for a grad

Trust me I know
              Not really. If you're bright, confident and likeable, it should be relatively easy.

ReputationRep:
              (Original post by i_hate_teeth)
              Not really. If you're bright, confident and likeable, it should be relatively easy.
              Yeah, I'm sure you know just how easy it can be based on your vast experience...

Didn't say it was easy.

ReputationRep:
                (Original post by Teenage Pirate)
                Yeah, I'm sure you know just how easy it can be based on your vast experience...
                I know how easy it can be based on observing and emulating people who are successful in a number of fields. Your posts in this thread indicate a lack of self confidence, and that's probably what's holding you back from doing whatever it is you really want to do.

Submit reply
              TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2010
            • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
              Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
              Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
            • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
              Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.