Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure this is a common question, but I couldn't find it in a quick search.

I started dating my girlfriend in my final year of university while she was in her first, which was in early October of last year now. We've been through a lot since then, plenty of small arguments, compromises, changes and even one short break-up but until recently we've been stronger than ever and it is has had, for the first time in my life, all the hallmarks of a good, loving relationship. There's no doubt that I love her more than I have anyone before, in fact it's the first time I've even told someone I loved them, and that she feels the same way about me. Now I'm a graduate taking a part-time postgrad course and working full-time, and I have to say a good part of my decision to go back to my university city was so I could be with her.

Last week I kissed another girl for the first time since we met, and it's been one long (not sure if I can swear on here) disaster since. I never have anything to hide from her so she knows all my passwords, and she read a text from one of my friends which said I'd kissed a girl on a night where I went back to hers after I'd been out celebrating a Christmas party. I was totally shocked and asked all of them if it was true, as I've been drunk plenty of times but nothing's ever happened, but it was true so of course I told her. Apparently I had been wingman for one of my single friends, as I often am, and was talking to a girl where for some reason completely unknown to me I kissed her neck before walking off. I don't know why it happened, and I honestly don't remember it at all. Since then it hasn't been hard to see how she's changed - she swears at me constantly, even though she's barely ever sworn in the entire time I've known her, and cries so much though I've only seen her cry a few times in our relationship. Last night I had her friends telling me how terrible a person I was and to see what I'd done to her, but I feel I'm still in shock this has happened at all. Everything was going so well! Why now??

I know people say "being drunk is no excuse", and they're right, but at the same time this would never have happened if I was sober or was even less exceptionally drunk. This is the first time anything like this has happened to me, but I have no idea how to take care of this. I've never seen her so upset and the guilt is so crushing I can't sleep. I try to say how this was nothing at all, that I'm still the same person and she can still trust me, that I could bet on my life nothing like this would happen again, and I try to put myself in her position to see what she'd want me to do, but I feel like I can only sit her dumbly feeling like a criminal while I'm unable to comfort the person who I've spent most of my life with this past year.

What do people have to say about this? How does she feel, and what should I do?

ReputationRep:
    its understandable that shes hurt, especially considering youve had problems in the past. however it sounds like you didnt really do much aside from a peck - just be honest with her, make her realise how much you value your relationship and wouldnt want to lose that over a drunken little mistake give her time to forgive you, it may take a little while but hopefully shell be okay good luck!

ReputationRep:
    you kissed her neck and walked off?????

and shes going mental over that? Was its a kiss or a was it a "kiss"?

it sounds like your friends and hers are blowing things out of proportion, stirring it and making the situation worse. Talk to her away from both groups of people. A kiss on the neck is hardly a full out orgy.

Oh adn why is your missus reading your unread texts?

ReputationRep:
    In response to this thread title, before Katy Perry hi-jacks the thread.

did you like it?

ReputationRep:
    did you tell her it was just on the neck?

i think you should do your best to make it up to her, she needs to know you still love her.
    Take her out, cook her a meal.. just something to let her know you still love her

ReputationRep:
    You kissed her neck. Her neck? Really? And she's acting THAT violently? Wow, you poor thing. It's obvious you're so sorry. She's being really quite out of order- possibly be more firm with her? It was obviously an accident, you had no idea what you were doing- you didn't even know! And trying to make you feel guilty/swearing at you is absolutely ridiculous. And I can't bear cheating at all...

Hope it all works out for you, and hope you feel less guilty, because this is really ridiculous. Doesn't sound like you deserve it, really.

ReputationRep:
    She's upset, and rightly I would say, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, if I kissed her on the neck, I had to have initiated it, it wasn't like she kissed me and I let it linger too long. Though I don't know, I can't remember a thing so she may have asked me...I do know it wasn't for long though, and that even though she wanted to I didn't talk to her for the rest of the night (according to my friends). Edit: Also I only ever kiss her on the neck. I never used to do it before I met her, so it's something personal.

In the past we've had arguments because she's quite a flirty girl. In many ways I like that about her, I like outgoing, friendly people, but of course it's meant some guys have got the wrong idea in the past and tried to take it further. In her defence she'd always tell me. I used to give her a bit of a rough time though and tell her they couldn't completely be blamed because, when she tells me the way she talks to guys, I would assume she was hitting on me if I was in their position. That said for most men any time a girl makes the effort to talk to them in a club they assume they're hitting on them, so I can't blame her for not just shouting "BOYFRIEND" at every guy who comes near. In fact I'm glad she doesn't.

The point is that here she didn't initiate anything. She may have put them in a position where they thought it was a good idea, but she's never "kissed" anyone.

Also, we read the text together, we were in bed at the time I got the message

She probably feels that the trust in the relationship has been broken which might be why she's reacted badly. From what you've said though it's obvious that you completely regret what happened so hopefully she'll see this and you'll both be able to go back to what you had before.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by pissantpartisan)
      She's upset, and rightly I would say, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, if I kissed her on the neck, I had to have initiated it, it wasn't like she kissed me and I let it linger too long. Though I don't know, I can't remember a thing so she may have asked me...I do know it wasn't for long though, and that even though she wanted to I didn't talk to her for the rest of the night (according to my friends). Edit: Also I only ever kiss her on the neck. I never used to do it before I met her, so it's something personal.

In the past we've had arguments because she's quite a flirty girl. In many ways I like that about her, I like outgoing, friendly people, but of course it's meant some guys have got the wrong idea in the past and tried to take it further. In her defence she'd always tell me. I used to give her a bit of a rough time though and tell her they couldn't completely be blamed because, when she tells me the way she talks to guys, I would assume she was hitting on me if I was in their position. That said for most men any time a girl makes the effort to talk to them in a club they assume they're hitting on them, so I can't blame her for not just shouting "BOYFRIEND" at every guy who comes near. In fact I'm glad she doesn't.

The point is that here she didn't initiate anything. She may have put them in a position where they thought it was a good idea, but she's never "kissed" anyone.

Also, we read the text together, we were in bed at the time I got the message
      I understand. Just hope it works out for you.

ReputationRep:
      I can't believe this thread, a neck kiss, seriously

This is why it's better off some nerds stay alone.

Imagine you actually had sex she'd probably kill you.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Yawn11)
      I can't believe this thread, a neck kiss, seriously

This is why it's better off some nerds stay alone.

Imagine you actually had sex she'd probably kill you.
      I think it could be :troll:

No-one would get this worked up about a drunk mistake like this.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.