Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

question about weight gain.. Watch

ReputationRep:
    so i have been at uni for 3 months and i have realised i probably havent eaten enough or enough of the right stuff. I manage porridge for breakfast, then usually a small lunch and tea which i try to make as healthy as possible including all the food groups then my downfall is after when i eat lots of sweets and chocolate, however i have exercised and run quite a lot at uni often running 10k. After xmas i intend to eat better however i know now going home for xmas i will be eating more and exercising less and concerned i will gain loads of weight.
    I tried researching it and got the impression i will gain a bit of weight but it should stabilise...this is my concern..will it? how much am i likely to gain before it stabilises? If I eat a healthy amount of calories for my height and weight, exercise moderately how much weight will i gain?
    If i calculate how many calories i should be eating a day and eat this will i maintain my weight?
    thanks x

ReputationRep:
    If you add on 500 more calories to what your body already needs to MAINTAIN your current weight per day, then you will on average gain about a pound a week if you stick to this plan.

ReputationRep:
    I prescribe pie.

ReputationRep:
    but if i eat what my BMR is plus more for activity, will i still maintain or because my body is used to less than this, now i will gain if i eat the normal amount?
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smile-Like-You-Mean-It)
    but if i eat what my BMR is plus more for activity, will i still maintain or because my body is used to less than this, now i will gain if i eat the normal amount?
    x
    If you have increased activity on top of your BMR, then your calories to maintain your current weight need to increase depending on that particular day, AS WELL as adding the 500 calories in order to gain weight.

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to calm down. Just because it's christmas doesn't mean you have to eat loads. Just be sensible and accept that you can't exercise as much. I'm sure you'll get back into your usual fitness routine in no time .

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.